Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passport full - apply for new one or add pages ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport full - apply for new one or add pages ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:18 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mcrt
I'll defer to the experts on this, but I thought that the pages needed to be added between blank pages. Is adding still an option in this case?
If you're talking about US passports, that's not an issue.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by hfly
Not totally true, many visas are good for the life of the visa, not the passport, this applies to Brazil, India and many others.
I didn't say it was. I wrote "if she has any visas or entry permits that are valid for the life of the passport to which they're attached..." Obviously, not all work that way, but some do, and she may have one or more.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mcrt
I'll defer to the experts on this, but I thought that the pages needed to be added between blank pages. Is adding still an option in this case?
The rule is that new pages need to be added between original pages - that is, an addition may not be taped to an earlier addition. In practice, the binding would probably break long before this limited how many additions you could get.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 10:26 am

This is how adding pages works -- the State Dept has inserts and they get taped in between two original pages. For example, the insert pages are numbered A-X and they are taped in between pages 12 and 13. So it doesn't cover up any existing pages or stamps or visas. On one of the insert pages, eg. page D, it says "This passport was amended on [date] to add visa pages to passport number [number]." I actually posted about this late last year because when they added pages to my passport they put in my social security number instead of my passport number. So I had to go back to get it fixed. They ripped out the insert pages (not so easy as you can imagine) and put in new pages. My passport now looks like a small dog has munched on it.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
My passport now looks like a small dog has munched on it.
My passport looks like my cat has nibbled it. Because she did

Back OT - when seeking same day service at a passport office, an alternative to buying a fully refundable ticket is to make a visa appointment at a foreign consulate. You might have to (nicely and politely) press the point, but the rules do say flight or visa appointment.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
It is easy to have pages added at an embassy or consulate in another country. There is no charge and the pasting in of additonal pages normally takes no more than 1 hour while one waits. I had mine added at the embassy in Kuala Lumpur and will probably have to do it again soon at the Bangkok embassy along with my wife since we have 4 years of validity left on our passports.

One fills out the form requesting additional pages and submits it along with the passport. Why mess with U.S.-based bureaucracy when embassies do it better, cheaper and quicker?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Apparently supplemental pages can be added between the last page (24 or 48) and the back cover too.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Apparently supplemental pages can be added between the last page (24 or 48) and the back cover too.
My US passport has a A-X supplement between pages 14 and 15, and another A-X between 16 and 17.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
My US passport has a A-X supplement between pages 14 and 15, and another A-X between 16 and 17.
Have you seen the page supplements between the back cover and the last page of the passport before?

Things like you mentioned above I've seen (along with the "This supplement is an attachment for passport no. _______ / Authority: ______ , _____"). What I had not seen before was page supplements added between the last page and the physical inside back cover. (I've seen other things attached there before, but not additional pages for visa stamps.)
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:22 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Hmm.. hopefully the 2.5-3 wks is still right. I sent my passport to have pages added on Sep 7th with delivery confirmation to the Charleston office, and the USPS site still doesn't have tracking info for the outbound. Should I be worried , or is this usual USPS? I remember when I sent my wife's in before, only took 4 days. My intl flight isn't until Oct 27th (unless a good deal comes along before then ).
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Many, many moons ago, when I was a college student in England and my step-dad was a consular officer at the American Embassy in London, I had my first summer job in the passport and welfare section of the Embassy. One of my tasks was to add the additional pages to passports. As I recall, for the most part it was American businessmen rushing in to have the pages added. I remember seeing a lot of entry stamps into places like Libya and Saudi, some of which took up at least half a page, no wonder they used to fill up their passports so quickly. Once in a while someone interesting would come in with such a need, I remember [the late] Linda McCartney came round one time for additional pages - they'd been on tour with a Wings concert and her passport got filled up pretty fast. Same with some other bands which I can't recall right now - also actors and others in the entertainment industry traveling overseas on location frequently. The pages were always fixed on just with some good old Elmer's Glue-All and then pressing on the seal of the U.S. with a huge seal we had around for that. In retrospect, it was kind of a fun way to do a summer job while living overseas myself. You really got to see the world go by - along with all their passport pages
Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:26 am
Suspended

Pressing on the raised seal is still done, but they don't seem to use milky-colored Elmer's Glue much anymore.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 21, 2005 at 1:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.