Wiki Posts
Search

There's No 4th Floor - It's Bad Luck!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by civicmon
check seatguru.com - lot of planes lack a 13th row.
SQ is one airline with no row 13.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:36 pm

I believe it is also unlucky to give someone a clock as a present in china as teh word for clock is similar to the word for funeral. I guess if you gave someone a clock set at 4 minutes past 4 , you woudl be sending a pretty strong message!! I don't think its any more "stupid" than 7 being a lucky number or 13 being unlucky. It's just cultural. I remember as a child spilling salt,dropping a knife, walking under a ladder etc all had connotations attached!

Also, floor 4, 14 etc do exist in Hong Kong and often attract cheaper rents!!
I also believe a building next to a hospital or graveyard is also unpopular.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:40 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It doesn't seem so stupid if you've got a product to sell (esp if it's expensive product because you're a property developer) and you can't shift some of it, even if it's because of the unreasonable views held by your target market.
Easy solution -- label the floors correctly and just don't assign rooms on the fourth floor to superstitious people.

Originally Posted by GK
I am sure we can find many aspects of your life we could label as 'stupid'.. so please refrain from this kind of comment.
Like what? I'm not superstitious, so I doubt you would find anything.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by buddhaman
I believe it is also unlucky to give someone a clock as a present in china as teh word for clock is similar to the word for funeral.
I thought it was because it sounds similar to a word for "end".
Originally Posted by JS
Easy solution -- label the floors correctly and just don't assign rooms on the fourth floor to superstitious people.
I think you mean "don't sell apartments on the fourth floor to superstitious people". When you're in that market, having inventory that only a small proportion of the market will buy costs you a lot of money.

I hope that whatever business you're in doesn't require you to be sensitive to your customers' foibles!
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:56 am

It just a matter of how you choose to treat numbers. Either you let it bother you or you don't.

FWIWs, I live in an apartment on the 13th floor and my unit is no 4. Doesn't bother me.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I live in Irvine, CA (the original cookie-cutter track housing/planned community capital of the world)... and I noticed that the house numbers are missing both 13 and 69 from all the streets (we have small house numbers here).
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I live in Irvine, CA (the original cookie-cutter track housing/planned community capital of the world)... and I noticed that the house numbers are missing both 13 and 69 from all the streets (we have small house numbers here).
Ok, now that's just silly.... I can understand 13, but what the heck is wrong with 69?
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker
Actually, I think the reason is that one pronounciation is "onyomi" (Chinese pronunciation reading) and the other is "kunyomi" (Japanese pronunciation reading).
Strictly speaking you are correct, but what is unusual about 4 and 7 is that they usually use kunyomi even when all other numbers use onyomi (eg. ikkai, nikai, sankai, yonkai, gokai, rokkai, nanakai...). Shi/yon (4) is obviously the death taboo but shichi/nana (7) is probably mostly because it would be too easy to confuse with shi otherwise.

And yes, 9 is considered lucky in Chinese culture, but unlucky in Japan as ku ( 苦 ) can also mean "suffering". This isn't observed as much though, and in general the Japanese are a lot less keen on numerology than the Chinese...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.