There's No 4th Floor - It's Bad Luck!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There's No 4th Floor - It's Bad Luck!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Lots of HK hotels have neither 4th or 13th floors. Additionally, will always remember working at CLK, and finally, after the road bridges opened, driving out past several residential tower blocks being built - numbered 1, 2, 3, 3a and 5.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Heard this story but i am not sure how true

When MGM build the hotel in Las Vegas the entrance was in the shape of an open mouth lion. Seems a lot of chinese refused to enter the hotel because of that. Few million dollars later the entrance was changed.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
Yeah "shi" in Japanese is death or four although the characters are different. Seven (shichi in Japanese) is also concerned with death. After someone dies a ceremony is held every seven days up until the 49th day (7x7) and then you have a big party and go back to being a mindless consumer. Or something like that. I don't understand Japan much, I just go with flow.
Maybe that's why there are two Japanese words for "four" ( "shi/yon") and "seven" ( "shichi/nana" ). Remember that the spirit is as important as the living person...
Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
check seatguru.com - lot of planes lack a 13th row.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: MP Platinum
I was just looking at an apartment in Kuala Pumpur. 13A - 23A (elsewhere would have been floor 14 - 24). So they had 13 and 13A.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I was looking at some airport terminal maps for an upcoming trip and I realized that most of them don't have a Gate 13. They just completely skip over that number. HNL did have a Gate 13 unlike others.
Yes, Northwest operates out of Gate 13 ... The haunted one is Gate 30 something (the newer gate closest to the inter-island terminal), however...
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:59 pm

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
True

Originally Posted by SMART51

When MGM build the hotel in Las Vegas the entrance was in the shape of an open mouth lion. Seems a lot of chinese refused to enter the hotel because of that. Few million dollars later the entrance was changed.
I had heard this as well.

It is true.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../26073640.html

I guess everyone has their own superstitions!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 5:30 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Originally Posted by mosburger
Maybe that's why there are two Japanese words for "four" ( "shi/yon") and "seven" ( "shichi/nana" ).
Actually, I think the reason is that one pronounciation is "onyomi" (Chinese pronunciation reading) and the other is "kunyomi" (Japanese pronunciation reading).
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:40 am

Just to be picky, I have to point out that there are 4th and 13th floors, they just call them something different. (A few buildings use the 13th as a maintenance level.)

Something similar is done to make buildings seem taller. Usually the reported number of floors on a building is equal to the highest floor number. If they skip the 13th, it's off by one. And some buildings skip 10 or 20 floors.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:06 am

a couple of chicago hotels too

I believe there are a couple of Chicago hotels that skip the 13th floor.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA
Taiwan airliners are registered in a 5-digit number series B-xxxxx except they never end in a 4. China Air 747s start at B-18201 but skip B-18204 for example. Eva's start at B-16401 (so intermediate digits seem OK) but skip B-16404 etc.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:44 pm

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by alanh
Just to be picky, I have to point out that there are 4th and 13th floors, they just call them something different. (A few buildings use the 13th as a maintenance level.
In Korea, they grasp this concept, but get around the superstition by calling the fourth floor, "F".
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:47 pm

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by SMART51

There is an even crazier one on Hong Kong. ON the backside of Hong Kong island, there is an apartment building built into the side of the mountain that has a big hole in it. Where there could be 9 revenue-generating apartments (3X3), there is just space. It seems that there is a dragon living on top of the mountain that likes to go to the beach. If the hole was not there, he would knock down the building!
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
Yeah "shi" in Japanese is death or four although the characters are different. Seven (shichi in Japanese) is also concerned with death. After someone dies a ceremony is held every seven days up until the 49th day (7x7) and then you have a big party and go back to being a mindless consumer. Or something like that. I don't understand Japan much, I just go with flow.
same in Taiwan the word 4 sounds like the word death and therefore is a bad number. it's interesting that japan and taiwan share the same type of traditional ceremony (7x7). But in Taiwan, this has become very rare - only very very traditional families still follow the rules - others have an accelerated version (which still include a 7 somehow)...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelnutz
Many hotels in Las Vegas don't have a 4th floor like MGM Grand. There's no 4th or 13th floor for that matter.
I'm about 95% sure the MGM does have a 4th floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.