Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Backpackers" and the stigma they carry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Solution: ultralight frameless backpack. Easily carried on to any airplane unless totally rammed full.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
I have a light-weight frameless backpack (not the one linked to above), which I sometimes carry on. Despite the fact that I'm careful not to hit people, that it's smaller than the carry-on limit and definitely lighter than a rollaboard, that I never put it in lengthwise, and that I'm way past stereotypical backpacker age, the mere sight of a backpack seems to set some people off. Pax have told me to "watch out with that thing" (which I do without being told) while removing it from the overhead, and even that it doesn't belong on board.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:39 pm

Solution: ultralight frameless backpack. Easily carried on to any airplane unless totally rammed full.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
Can't stand frameless packs. The weight distribution is always a problem because you don't have the frame to secure various things at various levels so they shift. Even a backpacking trip as short as 10 miles is a major pain with one.

p.s. some of us backpackers actually use the packs for what they were meant for - long hikes where one carries what one needs to survive. I personally would never take my pack for an urban adventure.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Can't stand frameless packs. The weight distribution is always a problem because you don't have the frame to secure various things at various levels so they shift. Even a backpacking trip as short as 10 miles is a major pain with one.

p.s. some of us backpackers actually use the packs for what they were meant for - long hikes where one carries what one needs to survive. I personally would never take my pack for an urban adventure.
I don't use my frameless pack for backpacking, but there are times when it works out well for travel. I tend to take public transport a lot, and find a pack easier to deal than a suitcase when negotiating subway station stairs and getting on and off buses. It's even easier to put into the overhead, since it's light. But that's just me.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

I exclusively use my frameless packs for backcountry hiking and mountaineering. My last trip was 14 days solo in Alaska, you?

Do you actually think Mountain Laurel, ZPacks, Gossamer Gear etc make packs for "urban adventures"? They make lighter packs so people can hike farther and faster rather than carrying 50 lbs.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:07 pm

I exclusively use my frameless packs for backcountry hiking and mountaineering. My last trip was 14 days solo in Alaska, you?
currently preparing for 65 mile hike in Spain.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
currently preparing for 65 mile hike in Spain.
Ah yes, the vast trail less wilderness of Spain where one must carry in all supplies, unlike, say, this 4,500 mile Alaska-Yukon urban adventure done with a frame less pack.

​​​​http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/a...on-expedition/

Last edited by eigenvector; Feb 16, 2017 at 10:27 pm
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
nothing better than the resurrection of a 12 year old FT thread that disintegrates into a willy-waving competition...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTBoston
I have nothing against backpackers except when they whack me in the face with their overstuffed gear while trying to find their seat on the plane.
I've done backpacking both for travel and for wilderness--no way could I hit you in the aisle because a real backpack is far too large to carry on.

I do wear a "backpack" (in my book, if it doesn't have a hip belt it's not a true backpack) with my laptop and the only time it hit somebody was when they weren't properly in their seat. I did not hit the seat itself, only the guy leaning out for some reason. I see a lot of people leaning out, they're just asking for getting bumped.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
nothing better than the resurrection of a 12 year old FT thread that disintegrates into a willy-waving competition...
A year or so we had a similar willy-waving competition about what constitutes "real" camping. We basically agreed that it has to be 3 weeks alone on the frozen tundra where you kill your own food with your bare hands.

Sleeping in a tent in a park campground does not count.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
A year or so we had a similar willy-waving competition about what constitutes "real" camping. We basically agreed that it has to be 3 weeks alone on the frozen tundra where you kill your own food with your bare hands.

Sleeping in a tent in a park campground does not count.
One of my friends contends that staying in a 2.5-star hotel without room service counts as camping.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Cool What a revival.

Originally Posted by pairofkeets
{edited still[!] because my [& your] bandwidth is limited} I just don't like when they are too cheap to get a taxi and bring their massive external frame backpack onto the metro during rush hour.
Saw it the last time I was in Tokyo, rush hour on the Yamanote line people packed in like sardines and this cheap guy is trying to bring his massive backpack on the train.
Thankfully, this {redacted} was not on the Tokyo train system the time(s) I had to get to | from NRT.
{Hey, when he posted it here - I hadn't even been to Tokyo yet.}
My stock carry-on bag is a huge black w|green vinyl luggage which I obtained at a 99¢ shop in Milwaukee, WI., when covering the M.I.S.L. All-Star Game in February 2006, bearing the promotional legend of M.B.N.A. Motorsports.
This 'carry-on' bag has gone far and long in its duty to me.
Its length happens to be the maximum length that will fit in the overhead compartment on most Southwest Airlines' flights. I can literally lift it onto my shoulder and shove it lengthwise (horizontally) into the bin.
When I am returning from Tokyo, Japan, with it full of DVDs that will never get a legitimate US release, on the times that I do not check it in, it still fits, whether my flight is ANA, UAL, or AA. But, it may be so heavy that I need some assistance to get it over my shoulder into the bin. But, I will not disturb it for the remainder of the flight.
Pairofkeets has remarked about somebody trying to get a backpack onto the Yamanote Line. The astute Tokyo traveller knows that the way to NRT is via Keisei | Toei Asakusa | Keikyu; and not having anything to do with JR - except that he has given his indenture to JR (alas: too many visitors to Tokyo adopt the mindset, 'Must ride JR - only JR').
The most difficult part for me when returning from Tokyo is physically lifting this MBNA suitcase onto the overhead rack of the regular train heading to NRT. At Ueno, I can usually manage to do this. At Aoto, I require assistance.
Bottom line is: You might see a lot more of this nowadays with checked baggage fees seeming to be the next big profit generators for major airlines. Oh well...
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Pfft..unless they're thinking about doing Gasherbrum I and II in one go, they are all just poser 'urban adventurers' to me!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
This thread should probably be (at least) three threads, about:

1. Hiking/camping, where a backpack is the only practical way to carry the necessary stuff.

2. "Backpacking" ravel where someone chooses to use a backpack for convenience but doesn't camp. This is the part that's usually associated with young people on tight budgets, staying in hostels and so on.

3. People who walk around with backpacks (which are generally too small for either of the above purposes), especially in the context of boarding airplanes with them.

Given that it isn't, perhaps posters should be clear as to which of these they're posting about.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
This thread should probably be (at least) three threads, about:

2. "Backpacking" ravel where someone chooses to use a backpack for convenience but doesn't camp. This is the part that's usually associated with young people on tight budgets, staying in hostels and so on.
When you are traveling where wheeled bags won't roll it makes life a lot easier if you can throw your luggage on your back. The use of backpacks meant we could move all of our luggage in one lift rather than have to have one person watching bags on each end and one person moving them.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
Originally Posted by pudgym29
Thankfully, this {redacted} was not on the Tokyo train system the time(s) I had to get to | from NRT.
{Hey, when he posted it here - I hadn't even been to Tokyo yet.}
My stock carry-on bag is a huge black w|green vinyl luggage which I obtained at a 99¢ shop in Milwaukee, WI., when covering the M.I.S.L. All-Star Game in February 2006, bearing the promotional legend of M.B.N.A. Motorsports.
This 'carry-on' bag has gone far and long in its duty to me.
Its length happens to be the maximum length that will fit in the overhead compartment on most Southwest Airlines' flights. I can literally lift it onto my shoulder and shove it lengthwise (horizontally) into the bin.
When I am returning from Tokyo, Japan, with it full of DVDs that will never get a legitimate US release, on the times that I do not check it in, it still fits, whether my flight is ANA, UAL, or AA. But, it may be so heavy that I need some assistance to get it over my shoulder into the bin. But, I will not disturb it for the remainder of the flight.
Pairofkeets has remarked about somebody trying to get a backpack onto the Yamanote Line. The astute Tokyo traveller knows that the way to NRT is via Keisei | Toei Asakusa | Keikyu; and not having anything to do with JR - except that he has given his indenture to JR (alas: too many visitors to Tokyo adopt the mindset, 'Must ride JR - only JR').
The most difficult part for me when returning from Tokyo is physically lifting this MBNA suitcase onto the overhead rack of the regular train heading to NRT. At Ueno, I can usually manage to do this. At Aoto, I require assistance.
Bottom line is: You might see a lot more of this nowadays with checked baggage fees seeming to be the next big profit generators for major airlines. Oh well...

I'm not sure if you're throwing shade at me or the person I referenced, but just to clear the air I am going to say just a few things.

1. This thread is literally a 'judge people you don't know based on their appearance' thread. And based on that I offered my opinion that I generally assume these 'backpackers' are typically hippies in their 20s on a shoestring budget who are 'trying to find themselves' in a different country while simultaneously not learning anything about the local culture there but meet people who are probably also from some western country who think the same as them in hostels and dormitories funded by their upper class parents. Obviously this wasn't intended to be a blanket statement that every person with a backpack is and there are of course exceptions. But just like how people judge others on what they wear, or their physical characteristics, this is the initial judgement I have against them that of course may not be entirely fair. At the same time I think there is a visual distinction between people who use a backpack for luggage and a 'backpacker.'

To respond to someone earlier:
2. Just because something isn't explicitly banned doesn't mean it isn't frowned upon, as clearly demonstrated by the opinions in this thread about backpacks on planes. They aren't prohibited but there is at least a minority of travelers here who frown upon this behavior most likely due to personal experiences of getting hit by these backpacks. Now imagine being on packed subway car with these massive backpacks and you're literally barraging someone with trying to enter, exit, and balance yourself while the car is moving. I think it's the same argument. Also clearly the airline permitted the bag on board so it has been accepted officially but people are still judging them here. I don't think large luggage belongs on the metro during rush hour and I don't think large backpacks belong there either. If you're shoving your stuff into people to get it on I think you're incredibly inconsiderate and should either wait until a car that is less full comes or get a cab with designated trunk space.

3. Technically, pretty much every airline has some form of rule where if you can't lift your carry on into the overhead, the flight attendants aren't permitted to help you do so and you need to check it.

Like I said backpackers don't really bother me, unless they assault me with their stuff or fail to maintain a decent level of hygiene and this applies to everyone. It's just being a decent human being. In my opinion wearing those gigantic backpacks around a metro area looks ridiculous. In Japan it looks doubly so, considering every single station has lockers to store your stuff. And not to completely derail the thread by the astute Tokyo traveler knows that the NEX is covered by the JR pass and takes you from NRT to Tokyo Station, Shinagawa Station, Yokohama Station amongst others. Even more astute traveler knows that if you have a decent amount of luggage the airport limo bus costs 3500 yen (last I checked) and takes you to the door of most major hotels in the Tokyo metro area and comes with storage for 2 bags. And with even a little bit of research anyone can figure out that you can ship your luggage to pretty much anywhere in Japan for 3900 yen or less so when you are struggling with your luggage on the metro or bullet train you either consciously made that decision or literally didn't bother to research anything before going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.