FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   "Backpackers" and the stigma they carry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/436541-backpackers-stigma-they-carry.html)

trixiebee May 25, 2005 8:09 am

"Backpackers" and the stigma they carry

I'm doing alot of reading about the areas we're going to travel too. Quite often I'll read something about "avoid this area and you'll avoid the hords of backpackers..." or "the hotels are miles from the backpacker areas"...etc.

I don't quite get it - what's the beef with backpackers?

I must say, we're early 30's, and have traveled alot. We happen to usually carry a backpack, (so much easier!) but a nice black "fancy" one without the sleep matt and muddy chaco's hanging from the back. We check our bags often, dress more like the locals than some Americans I see, and go out of our way to be "nice" americans, not rude ones.

Is it just the budget concerns that separate them from other travelers? or have I missed something when I walk past a group of kids out seeing the world?
Just curious.

alanR May 25, 2005 8:24 am

because half of them are following the herd and don't see much of where they are travelling to, preferring to spend time with their mates getting drunk, high & laid.

stut May 25, 2005 8:31 am

I think there's a particular stereotype of a backpacker who doesn't wash, argues vehemently to save one rupee, doesn't go anywhere unless it's listed in the Lonely Planet, and will only talk to other backpackers (subjects: how they heroically avoided being ripped off by locals, how much better the beer was in the last country, how 'authentic' an experience the current café is despite the only non-backpacker in sigh being the waiter). The men have dodgy facial hair, and the women all wear beige shorts and a white t-shirt. Caution: may be carrying a guitar. Guaranteed to carry a massive backpack on public transport at the least appropriate time of day.

I don't really have a problem with this. Some of the 'backpacker ghettoes' can be pretty friendly places, and good to meet others if you're travelling alone. On the other hand, sticking religiously to these places is rather dull. Some of the stereotyped traits, where they do exist, can be incredibly annoying, too.

grbflyer May 25, 2005 8:42 am

being one of the "backpackers" mid 20's :confused: travel all over. I always "backpack" by myself because its the best way to travel IMO. i do read the lets go travel guides but dont limit myself to them. I can understand the stereotype of "backpacker". I run into these types in the hostels. I travel on a very small budget, only way i would be able to do this. Yes drinking and getting drunk can be a highlight of a trip. i was in rome and went on a pub crawl. this was a highlight of my trip because there is nothign more amazing than hanging out with fellow travelers in on a piazza in front of the coloseum. i dress nicely, curteous and know the language so i can blend in well with locals. next time you see a backpacker, give them the benefit of the doubt. that backpacker may be me.

TACA May 25, 2005 8:42 am

Backpackers

They all seem to be in a contest as to who can spend the least amount of money in each of their destinations. Don't know how this helps the economies or local travel industries.

Analise May 25, 2005 8:47 am

Backpacking usually attracts the kind of people who love to travel and experience new places and meet all kinds of people. They often have the greatest stories to tell as well. I'd prefer a room filled with backpackers than one filled with self-righteous people.

dchristiva May 25, 2005 8:48 am

Originally Posted by alanR
because half of them are following the herd and don't see much of where they are travelling to, preferring to spend time with their mates getting drunk, high & laid.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

whirledtraveler May 25, 2005 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Backpacking usually attracts the kind of people who love to travel and experience new places and meet all kinds of people. They often have the greatest stories to tell as well. I'd prefer a room filled with backpackers than one filled with self-righteous people.

I agree. The only stigma that backpackers have, in my opinion, is that they are usually the first ones eaten in horror movies.

grbflyer May 25, 2005 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Analise

^ ^

travelnutz May 25, 2005 8:51 am

Somehwhat OT: What brand of backpacks do you guys use? What do I look for in a backpack? Of course, I am not talking about those school backpacks.

stut May 25, 2005 8:52 am

Macpac and Karrimor are my two favourites.

grbflyer May 25, 2005 9:21 am

im wondering if any fters started out being backpackers.

the backpacks at rei are overpriced and i think, not worth it. i checked out some backpacks at rei and gander mountain tried them on then bought mine from ebay. saved about half price.

da_guy May 25, 2005 9:46 am

After college I did a 3 month backpack tour of Europe. This was 10 years ago. I was young, foolish, usually had a beer in my hand, showering daily was not a top priority and laundry was done well, sporadically would be a good word. Would I want to be near any of this today? No way.

Jenbel May 25, 2005 10:05 am

Another karrimor fan here - i never really backpacked much, but i used to go out to Israel to do voluntary work each summer, and I'd take a backpack then. One observation made was that backpackers got a much harder time at Israeli security than people with suitcases..

I found the backpack scene quite depressing though - i did my last trip when i was also doing business travel, and just found the whole "spend as little as possible on very crappy accommodation" distressing :( But hey, it did start to teach me about travel

stut May 25, 2005 10:18 am

I used to, and still backpack!

(I should probably point out that my first comment on this thread was a description of the stereotype that I thought could cause the stigma, not my own opinion of backpackers!)

My first taste of it was at 17, when I went travelling by train (Inter-Rail) around the newly opened up Eastern Europe. After that, I spent 6 months working to get myself the plane fare to Australia, where I had an 8 month working holiday (got there with £200!) before starting university.

My university Summer holidays were mostly working (for term-time money and plane fare for travel) and then travelling medium-hall. Basic accommodation, cheapest transport.

Then a job and some more money. Further off destinations, and out of the flea-pits into respectable accommodation. And maybe an aircon bus now and then.

Up the ladder, and into the territory known as 'flashpacking'. Business class travel, nice accommodation, long-distance taxis or car hire instead of bus journeys... But fundamentally, still wandering round with a rucksack. Just got back from my latest travels round Uzbekistan and India. I'm not going to be giving this up soon... Who knows, maybe one day I'll recant and go package. Hmm...

Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes with a friend. Never in a group. Always meet interesting people, whether local or traveller. It's my one remaining addiction, the escapism I need :)