FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Stupid questions you've heard from rookie flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/435452-stupid-questions-youve-heard-rookie-flyers.html)

Fraser May 24, 2005 1:22 pm

'What does an e-ticket look like?'

aslsigner May 24, 2005 1:32 pm

Before we were married, my wife lived in DC. The first time she was flying home, she told me that she was going to drop off her car at the airport and I needed to pick her up at LAX.

Me: What airport are you flying out of?
Her: Duels.
Me: Where's that?
Her: Here in DC.
Me: That's not in DC. Are you driving to some small airport in the area?!?
Her: No. I flew out there last time. Duels
Me: What's the airport code?
Her. IAD
Me: Oh... Dulles (pronounced correctly)

I still chuckle when we fly back. And I make sure that we fly into "Duels."

aslsigner May 24, 2005 1:33 pm

deleted...sorry

Delta Hog May 24, 2005 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by grbflyer
I didnt over hear this, i said this. it was a couple years ago and my first international flight. i was bumped and was told i was going to fly out msp-lgw on nwa in world business class. now i know there is a first class, but didnt know there was a different name when flying international. i asked the ga, what is WBC, he replied first. oh, i felt about two feet tall. but it all turned out good, i got 700.00 in ticket vouchers and a ug to wbc. it is the ONLY way to fly.

Don't see anything to be embarrassed about or "two feet tall" about for a question like this. It seems like a perfectly legitimate question for even a seasoned flyer to ask what WBC is -- after all, most flyers have never been on a plane with WBC, and even fewer have sat there.

So stand tall.

beachbum May 24, 2005 3:05 pm

I was on a Southwest flight recently when a passenger came upon seat 24C and announced to the gentleman already seated there that 24C was his assigned seat. As it turns out, the agent who checked him in wrote down the gate (C 24) on the BP and the passenger assumed that was the seat he had been assigned.

da_guy May 24, 2005 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by djk7
Not a stupid question, but the ultimate wrong airport mistake.

http://www.bdb.co.za/shackle/articles/wrong_sydney.htm

They said they were enjoying looking at the pick-up trucks, and eating the local lobster.

Love it.

jsmeeker May 24, 2005 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by marcelin
At SFO, I once overheard a couple ask how to get to OAK as fast as possible, as they hadn't bothered to check which airport was listed on their ticket. I thought this was riotously funny. My partner, who has less travel experience, was more sympathetic.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA

I was on the rental car bus, going back to LAX. The driver asked a guy which airline. His answer? Jet Blue. :eek: Doh!!

FL_f/a May 24, 2005 7:51 pm

I don't think there are a lot of truely stupid questions (Although I might count on a early morning 45 minute flight seriously asking what's for breakfast.) But some people can be very stuborn about what they think is right. For example:

Woman: "Excuse me, could you dirct me to ATA's gate?"
Me: "Sorry ma'am, this isn't my usual airport, I don't know where ATA is, perhaps you could ask a gate agent."
Woman: "Don't you work here?!"
Me: "I'm a flight attendent for AirTran, I don't know the other parts of this airport."
Woman: ::showing me her ticket:: "I'm flying AirTran to (I forget where)."
Me: "I'm sorry ma'am, we don't fly there, you are flying ATA."
Woman: ::upset:: "Yes you do! It says so on my ticket!"
Me: "But you are flying ATA, not AirTran."
Woman: ::exasperated:: "They are the same thing!!!!"

Traveller May 24, 2005 9:19 pm

We had a new consultant start a few years ago who lives in Portland Maine. She booked her very first trip with the company TA and when she got to the airport she found out that she was booked from Portland Oregon instead of Portland Maine. :D

Another one my TA told me.... she had a customer call up to make reservations to fly PHL-BOS. The TA said he had to go thru Dallas. He said "I have to fly thru Dallas to get to Boston?" She said "Oh, I thought you said "Austin". :o

epi231 May 24, 2005 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
Another one my TA told me.... she had a customer call up to make reservations to fly PHL-BOS. The TA said he had to go thru Dallas. He said "I have to fly thru Dallas to get to Boston?" She said "Oh, I thought you said "Austin". :o

Along similar lines: My uncle and a number of colleagues were waiting for a shuttle bus at a conference hotel to go to the airport to fly back to Austin, TX. The shuttle bus arrived, and the driver asked, "So where are you all going today?" My uncle dutifully replied "Austin." Yet, they ended up at the Westin Hotel! They did make their flight though, despite the hotel run-around...

alanh May 24, 2005 9:51 pm

I've heard (possibly apophrycal) stories about pax being misdirected between AKL/OAK or PIE/PSG.

mbreuer May 24, 2005 10:15 pm

I know a person who flew to the wrong Rochester.

alanwar May 25, 2005 12:30 pm

When my son was about 8 we sent him with his cousin from SEA to JFK on JetBlue. He was no rookie flyer at that point but except for when he was 16mo old had never flown up front. After he came home someone asked him how his flight was. He said it was great and all first class !

I also made the SFO/OAK mistake. Although I was warned to call before leaving, I didn't and took a cab to SFO only to find my flight left from OAK. I was truly pissed because my ticket had San Franscisco printed on it.

Alan

MrMan May 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon
I don't think that's a rookie flyer mistake.. i think that's a stupid one period.

I've been at Love Field seeing people ask where the American flights are. In addition I have been at DFW where people were looking for the "Southwest terminal"

In addition sometimes airports don't get it. I love when non Southwest Airlines have Dallas listed at their gates. Always wanted to say "Oh I did not know you flew to Love"

Fraser May 25, 2005 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mbreuer
I know a person who flew to the wrong Rochester.

There was a case in the UK when people booked tickets to Sydney, Nova Scotia when they meant Sydney, Australia. Apparently they didn't know until AFTER they arrived! :rolleyes:

I'd have thought the fact you were flying via New York would be some idea :mad: