FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Stupid questions you've heard from rookie flyers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/435452-stupid-questions-youve-heard-rookie-flyers.html)

ByrdluvsAWACO May 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon
that's funny... like askin where the PanAm desk is.

<sigh> if only there was a Pan Am desk.

marcelin May 23, 2005 11:42 pm

At SFO, I once overheard a couple ask how to get to OAK as fast as possible, as they hadn't bothered to check which airport was listed on their ticket. I thought this was riotously funny. My partner, who has less travel experience, was more sympathetic.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA

civicmon May 24, 2005 3:52 am

Originally Posted by marcelin
At SFO, I once overheard a couple ask how to get to OAK as fast as possible, as they hadn't bothered to check which airport was listed on their ticket. I thought this was riotously funny. My partner, who has less travel experience, was more sympathetic.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson

I don't think that's a rookie flyer mistake.. i think that's a stupid one period.

Fripp May 24, 2005 6:08 am

A young woman that worked for me had two humorous events happen to her while she was flying.

The first occurred when she was in line to check in at the gate. An elderly woman in front of her was asked if she wanted an aisle or window seat. After a few seconds of reflection, she answered. "I'll have an aisle seat, please. I don't want my hair to get messed up."

The second occurred in the early 90's when the airlines were having wars to get people on the planes. The prices were so low that there were many first time flyers. A gentleman in front of her was pushing a "call flight attendant" button over his head and saying in a loud voice "I'll have a Coca Cola, please." The flight attendant came running down to help him and explained that he did not have to scream at the button, etc. She decided to get him the Coke, even though it was not at the scheduled time to do so. It seemed like it would be a lot easier. When she returned with the Coke, he asked, "how much is that?" She said it was complimentary. He answered, "can I have a six-pack, then?"

Fripp May 24, 2005 6:15 am

My brother is not a rookie flyer, but he did make a funny comment that I think you'll enjoy.

I took him on a trip to San Francisco once and we had a layover in Atlanta. While there, we visited the Crown Room which he had no idea existed. He ordered a couple of beers and asked how much it costs. The reply of course, was that they were complimentary.

Upon arrival to San Fran, he said let's stop in the Crown Room before we get our bags, and once again he ordered a couple of beers.

When we were getting our luggage, he said, "I think we need to spend some serious time in that Crown Room every night. My god, what a great deal." Here he was in San Francisco, and his idea of fun was to spend each night at the Crown Room.

BamaVol May 24, 2005 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Fripp
My brother is not a rookie flyer, but he did make a funny comment that I think you'll enjoy.

I took him on a trip to San Francisco once and we had a layover in Atlanta. While there, we visited the Crown Room which he had no idea existed. He ordered a couple of beers and asked how much it costs. The reply of course, was that they were complimentary.

Upon arrival to San Fran, he said let's stop in the Crown Room before we get our bags, and once again he ordered a couple of beers.

When we were getting our luggage, he said, "I think we need to spend some serious time in that Crown Room every night. My god, what a great deal." Here he was in San Francisco, and his idea of fun was to spend each night at the Crown Room.

Ah, free beer. Does it really get any better than that? OT, but reminds me of my first tour of the Coors facility in Golden, CO in 1976. As we were led to the tasting room at the conclusion of the brief tour, the hostess invited us to return for a couple free cold ones anytime. She refered to the hospitality room as the Colorado School of Mines campus lounge. :D

elgringito May 24, 2005 8:35 am

My first time in first class was in 1971, shortly after graduating college with no assets and $6,000 in student loans. After landing the two others traveling with me, who were more experienced and knew I was a drinker, asked me why I didn't order a drink. I answered, because there is no way I was going to pay those prices.

grbflyer May 24, 2005 8:46 am

stupid question

I didnt over hear this, i said this. it was a couple years ago and my first international flight. i was bumped and was told i was going to fly out msp-lgw on nwa in world business class. now i know there is a first class, but didnt know there was a different name when flying international. i asked the ga, what is WBC, he replied first. oh, i felt about two feet tall. but it all turned out good, i got 700.00 in ticket vouchers and a ug to wbc. it is the ONLY way to fly.

GeorgeMont May 24, 2005 9:23 am

Originally Posted by marcelin

Paul Marcelin-Sampson

I did this once in New York (and gotta feel like I'm not the only FTer who has). I had flown into JFK and never looked at my ticket when departing and just had the cab take me back to JFK. When I got to the ticket counter, the agent was like "ummmmm... you're not leaving from this airport, you've gotta go to LaGuardia".

But... I've always shown up on the right day for my flights! :D

sadeghi May 24, 2005 9:50 am

A flight attendant once told me that she was asking people if they were comfortable sitting in the exit row in case of an emergency and if they could assist if needed. She asked the passangers to read the safety card and then one of the guys sitting in the exit row actually tried to open the emergency door to see if it would actually open.

Originally Posted by magexpect
There is no stupid question, just stupid people who do not ask questions ;)

I heard once a funny story, but never found out if it was true... anybody knows?

A first flyer, leaving from some Midwestern airport alledgedly opened or tried to open the emergency door in order to wave at family seeing him off just before take off. Is it a true story or just a legend?

DC Mike May 24, 2005 10:28 am

Was on a shuttle bus on Sun. going to the Joint Service Open House air show at Andrews AFB, and the women behind me were talking about the big merger between "United Airways" and "American Western" for a couple minutes.

Not long ago, was traveling for work with a colleague who was describing flying out of National out of terminal A, and how it was on someone like jetBlue. If only jetBlue flew from DCA...

Goes to show that most people have no clue what airline or type of plane they are on...

da_guy May 24, 2005 11:52 am

Originally Posted by GeorgeMont
I did this once in New York (and gotta feel like I'm not the only FTer who has). I had flown into JFK and never looked at my ticket when departing and just had the cab take me back to JFK. When I got to the ticket counter, the agent was like "ummmmm... you're not leaving from this airport, you've gotta go to LaGuardia".

But... I've always shown up on the right day for my flights! :D

Did it once with LGA and EWR. The gate agent told me I was the 3rd person that day she'd dealt with who showed up at the wrong airport. Happens all the time I'm sure in So. Cal, NYC, SF Bay, Miami and anywhere else where there is more than 1 major airport within a metro area.

johnlw May 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by DC Mike
Goes to show that most people have no clue what airline or type of plane they are on...

My frequent travel partner never has any idea what type of plane he's on. Once I tried at least to get him to see the difference between a 747 and other planes by pointing out the hump in the fuselage. He said, "I never noticed that before. They have an upstairs???" He then said something like, "I thought there were only two types of planes--some with one aisle and others with two aisles." And he flies all the time!

PSUhorty May 24, 2005 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
Suggest that civicmon look at Pan Am Clipper Connection web site for the cities that will have a Pan Am desk.

They include:

Bedford, MA
Boston/Portsmouth (PSM), NH
Columbus, OH
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Newburgh/Poughkeepsie, NY
Orlando/Sanford (SFB), FL
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
San Juan (SJU), Puerto Rico
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
St. Kitts, St. Kitts/Nevis
St.Petersburg/Tampa Bay, FL
Trenton, NJ

While I will be the first to agree that it would be funny to ask about PanAm in LAX, for example, someone in FLL looking for PanAm has no right to be laughed at.

This airline exists and is called Pan Am Clipper Connection.

Now as I recall the NWA radio commercials with (cannot think of the famous Minneapolis WCCO radio comentators name) it was called NORTHWEST Orient (gong/BONG sound) AIR.....Lines. Can remember riding in my Dad's 53 DeSoto (in the mid-60's) at 6am when he went to work listening to the commerical and thinking how wonder flying to the (gong) Orient sounded!

:rolleyes:

djk7 May 24, 2005 1:18 pm

Not a stupid question, but the ultimate wrong airport mistake.

http://www.bdb.co.za/shackle/articles/wrong_sydney.htm