Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do when passengers won't stowe an electronic device?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when passengers won't stowe an electronic device?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Originally Posted by wingless
Great point!

There is no chance a cell or Gameboy will interfere or they wouldn't let you bring them on board.
You know this for sure? 100%? No chance at all, not even the 1 in 1000 chance?
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I also tell people to raise their windowshades for takeoff and landings.
Why do you do this? I am curious because a few years ago when I flew TWA from JFK - PLS they told us that window shades must be down for take-off. This was on both the flight to PLS and the return flight. I don't recall being told to lower them for landing though.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
If there is a remote chance that a Gameboy or cell phone will interfere with the plane's navigation, then the airline/TSA needs to search as diligently for these items as for weapons during security check, rather than relying on the public for compliance.
Please do not give the TSA any reason to intensify searches!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just in case there is an accident, rescue workers will know that someone is seated at that location. You can't make this stuff up.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by da_guy
You know this for sure? 100%? No chance at all, not even the 1 in 1000 chance?
I think the poster's point was that if there was really a danger, even a small one, they (the powers that be) would prohibit the items altogether. So the fact that they allow the items on board mean there there is no chance of it causing a crash.

I partially agree with the OP, in an era where they wont allow nail clippers and needle-nose pliers on the airplane, why would they allow electronic devices if there is even a small risk?

The issue is not safety. If there was a safety issue, even a miniscule one, we would have seen at least a few accidents that were traced to malfunctions in the cockpit electroncs, especially during take off and landings. I know a few private pilots who tell me that on smaller (corporate/private) jets passengers are constantly using their electronic items during take-off and landing.

The real issue is just that someone is breaking the rules, and nobody likes to see that. Even worse when the person is arrogant about it. So in this case (a kid playing a game), I would just relax and forget about it... I've seen kids do much worse and more annoying things on an aircraft. Would you rather he was kicking the chair of the person in front of him? Let the kid play his gameboy and be glad he's not whining/crying/screaming. But if some arrogant guy is breaking the rules by chatting on his cellphone once the plan has pulled away from the gate (which, let's face it, is the most audacious breach of the rules) he should surely be knocked down a notch, just for the sake of pissing him off...

(by the way, for the other poster that said someone nearby was a playing a gameboy and the pilot came on the PA system and announced that "someone is using a prohibited device, please turn it off": chances are that it was not the kid sitting near you that caused this to happen. Probably somebody was sitting in 1st or biz class talking on their cellphone... the easy way to solve this problem without a conflict is with the PA announcement.)

Last edited by lewinr; Apr 24, 2005 at 11:21 am
Old Apr 24, 2005, 11:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
When it comes to flying (or any other saftey critical business), I'm very much a rules and regulations kind of guy! I just wish that those people who find themselves unable to comply with a few very simple rules for a couple of hours (can it really be so hard?) would go and find themsevles an alternative, cell phone friendly mode of transport.

Regards
I

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.