Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do when passengers won't stowe an electronic device?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do when passengers won't stowe an electronic device?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
You TELL people to raise their windowshades for takeoff and landings? Please don't sit next to me. Is it not enough to run your own life?
Not a problem since I see you fly NW.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Desert city where Venice, Paris and NY are within walking distance
Programs: Delta and Hilton make a lot of $$ off me
Why have rules at all?

I am surprised to hear the "none of my business", "leave them alone" attutude. If talking on your cell while taking off, or playing a gameboy or whatever didn't affect anything, why would they tell everyone to turn off the gadgets? There is obviously a chance, no matter how remote that electronics can interfere with the plane's navigation. So why take that risk? Is it really that hard to wait 10 minutes before playing a video game or listening to music? If you absolutely positively have to talk, use the in-flight phone.

I tell people all the time to turn things off. I don't care if they get upset, embarrased or whatever. My life is more important than their phone call, period.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:32 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Unless it is a hazard from weight it really doesn't matter. Blackberries, Cells, Gameboys with not affect the plane. On charter flights it is not an issue at all only on commercial flights.

What I do find a hazard is a 20 pound child in someones lap. If we hit turbulance that kid is gonna go flying and I hope it will not be toward me.

What is the purpose of raising shades during landings and takeoffs. I never shut mine anyways and I hate when people ask me to. I do not do it. I like the sun light.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: Clear
I'm not sure how they know it but my last flight on Southwest out of Orlando the kid across from us had his game on right before we took off and then the capt came on saying they "detected a prohibited electronic device in operation" he asked to have it turned off or we were not flying. the kids parents turned 5 shades of red took the game away and then the capt came back on and said "thank you, prepare for take off"

Now how did they know it was on from up front?
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by plannergirl
I'm not sure how they know it but my last flight on Southwest out of Orlando the kid across from us had his game on right before we took off and then the capt came on saying they "detected a prohibited electronic device in operation" he asked to have it turned off or we were not flying. the kids parents turned 5 shades of red took the game away and then the capt came back on and said "thank you, prepare for take off"

Now how did they know it was on from up front?
The FA probably heard it and asked the captain to make the announcemnent is my guess
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:16 pm

Programs: Clear
it did not make any sound (thank god) there were enough screaming kids after a long day at Disney to have drown out any electronic sound.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: NW Gold, United Premier, Hertz 5 Star, Priority Club PLT, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I had a bit of a conundrum last week on this issue. I was flying PHX-BUR on America West and while we sat in line for take-off, the kid in front of me was playing on his Gameboy. I wouldn't have noticed if the sound wasn't on (he asked his mother if he was allowed to have it on, she said yes) but anyway, what he was doing was in violation of the rules. Ultimately I decided not to say anything, should I have?
No. Thats the FA;s job. As we all know, the only reason they tell you to turn off all electronics is so they have your attention should something go wrong on take off or landing. A gameboy will not interfer with the navagation equipment as will anything else. Let the FA argue with the rude person.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've never told anyone to switch something off although if it was a cellphone and they were jabbering away I might step in.

On my last flight the FA (sitting opposite me for take-off) asked me to turn off my noise cancelling headphones. I completely forgot I had them on and looked like a complete tool when giving her puzzled looks in response to her!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wingless

What is the purpose of raising shades during landings and takeoffs. I never shut mine anyways and I hate when people ask me to. I do not do it. I like the sun light.
Just in case there is an accident, rescue workers will know that someone is seated at that location. You can't make this stuff up.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Just in case there is an accident, rescue workers will know that someone is seated at that location. You can't make this stuff up.
Why is this not mandatory for take off and landing? I cannot recall a flight attendant checking the shades before landing or takeoff. Yes, it does make sense that if the plane goes down, rescue workers would have a better opportunity to see the seats. But, I want to receive safety instructions from the crew, not the person sitting next to me.

Once the instructions have been given, and it's perceived that someone is violating safety procedure, it is the crew's responsibility to enforce the regulations.

I recall one incident when the regulations had been changed allowing cell phone use until the door closed. Prior to that there was no usage allowed at any time. A passenger was talking on the phone and another passenger kept yelling at him to turn it off. It became very heated and loud. It almost escalated to a security issue when finally the FA advised the non caller of the change in regulation.

His voice level was reduced by 95% as he sheepishly said "sorry, I guess that's new."
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I was on a flight and this guy would NOT hang up his phone.. you'd swear we were about to lead a revolution when everyone was telling him to shut up and turn the phone off. The FA was close to throwing the phone out the window (preverbally )

Finally after he turned his phone off... no apology... nothin.

I won't lie, I've forgotten to turn my cell phone off when taking off, but I agree with others -err on the side of caution.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:24 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by pdhenry
It sux to move but I would swap seats with one of the parents rather than babysit.
That was the only moment where I felt like I was babysitting, though. Neither parent (pretty sure both were on the plane) ever even asked me if I would switch. If it had somehow felt more uncomfortable I would have sought them out to switch instead, but apart from that moment with the tray table it was all fine. Heck, the seat is way more comfortable (no shoulders that overlap, etc.) with a child next to you than an adult.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
Why is this not mandatory for take off and landing? I cannot recall a flight attendant checking the shades before landing or takeoff. But, I want to receive safety instructions from the crew, not the person sitting next to me.

Once the instructions have been given, and it's perceived that someone is violating safety procedure, it is the crew's responsibility to enforce the regulations.
The flight attendants who do transcons on UA have been known to mention about the shades. I will say that I don't hear this on all my flights. Seems to be selective.

I can only hope that crews mention everything they have to say all the time; but we all know that will never happen.

If the crew did their jobs, the passengers wouldn't have to help enforce the rules.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:58 pm

Threat can't be great

If there is a remote chance that a Gameboy or cell phone will interfere with the plane's navigation, then the airline/TSA needs to search as diligently for these items as for weapons during security check, rather than relying on the public for compliance.

Otherwise why not just allow weapons on board, and just ask all people not to use them during takeoffs and landings?
Old Apr 23, 2005, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
If there is a remote chance that a Gameboy or cell phone will interfere with the plane's navigation, then the airline/TSA needs to search as diligently for these items as for weapons during security check, rather than relying on the public for compliance.

Otherwise why not just allow weapons on board, and just ask all people not to use them during takeoffs and landings?

Great point!

There is no chance a cell or Gameboy will interfere or they wouldn't let you bring them on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.