Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Agent Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Travel Agent Recommendation

I've been looking for a good travel agent for almost 10 years now. No matter how hard I look, I have generally always ended up disappointed. Perhaps like many here, I've found that I can spend a few hours scouring the online offerings and some travel forums such as this one and I can almost always come up with something faster, easier, more convenient, and cheaper than if I go thru a travel agent. Additionally, I've found that the "customer service" and "convenience" of dealing with a professional travel agent is generally not worth their extra cost.

But I haven't given up yet ....

I've found FlyerTalk to be an invaluable resource in my travel planning. Most of you here know more about airline travel than nearly 100% of the professional travel agents I've ever dealt with. Some of you know so much that it's literally scary. So the idea occurred to me, who do you guys use? Do any of you ever use the services of a professional travel agent? Do you have one that you could recommend for me?

I've reluctantly become a fairly advanced traveler over the years, mostly because I've been forced to do all the work and research myself. But I'll admit it, I'm lazy and I'm tired of doing all this work. In particular, I have a fairly complex itinerary coming up which I really need some professional assistance with. I WOULD LOVE to find a good travel agent, one at least as knowledgeable as most of you, who I can just give all my business to so I can just sit back and enjoy my traveling.

My DREAM travel agent is someone who:
- can sell me flights/hotels/cars/packages from ALL vendors/airlines, not just the ones who they have sales relationships with
- scours the Internet, consolidators, etc. to find ME the best deal
- understands Frequent Flyer issues, can book these flights for me, and can impart their knowledge to me on the best programs/promotions for my particular travel needs
- is with a company with a solid reputation and isn't going to go out of business
- understands customer service
- is ONE point person, who I always deal with
- is not just a telephone jockey selling THEIR package vacations (like 99% of the agents I've dealt with)
- is actually knowledgeable about, and has been to, the places I want to go
- actually reads online travel forms, like this one, and can joust with the best of you guys
- can sell me tickets departing from anywhere, NOT JUST THE USA
- can be proactive by being up to speed on special promotions that may interest me
- can offer me special deals that aren't available to the general public
- doesn't mind that I'm "cheap". Like most here, I consider myself pretty "thrifty" when it comes to travel spending.

Does that sound like too much to ask for?
I'd HAPPY pay handsome fees or commissions and be a repeat customer for life to any travel agent who remotely resembles the above.

Many thanks for any recommendations,
-K

ps: any travel agents who read this forum and feel they fit that description, feel free to contact me here.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
I've always been my own travel agent and my familys and friends. It seems that they always call me and say "Matt, I need.....". I enjoy doing it b/c it is an adventure. It is very time consuming, which you state, but you will get rewarded with the time you give up. If you can't find anybody I will be willing to help you out if you want me to. I'm sure everybody at FT is better than any TA. Just my 2 cents!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:11 am

Looking for an agent

I've also always been my own travel agent. I guess I am skeptical of the incentives of the agent -- are they steering business to their friends? Are they going to put me in more expensive places to get more commission?

Still, for complex trips, I think they can be helpful, as long as we're vigilant about making sure they don't try to screw us.

So, any recommendations for reliable agents for my upcoming honeymoon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.