Luggage

Old Mar 11, 05, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Luggage

Help! I can't seem to stay in luggage...the airlines are so rough on it and with the "no responsibility" I am buying new luggage every 3-4 months. I got new luggage for Christmas and now I am asking for new luggage for Mother's Day....ugh

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand/type that might last longer? Or am just having bad luck? I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Thanks,
MCP
Old Mar 11, 05, 8:43 am

A longer-lasting luggage forum! Brilliant! I second the request.
Old Mar 11, 05, 8:52 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Travel Buzz, here this comes.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, MCPnTexas!
Old Mar 12, 05, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Plat/UA Silver/MR Lifetime PP/Avis Pref Sel
My luggage of choice is Samsonite. They have a 10 year warranty. All repairs are $10. I'm at the point now where my local store knows me, so they usually just replace the bag for free instead of sending it out for repair.
Old Mar 12, 05, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I have a Travelpro rollaboard which I've been pretty happy with, although I think you'll hear mixed reviews on the brand. I use it for several trips/month and it's held up well the past couple years, although I should qualify this with the fact that I rarely check my bags. Have also had several Atlantic rollaboards of varying quality. My Tumi briefcase has been fantastic and not showing any wear after nearly two years of daily (weekday) use and a lot of travel. If I had it to do over again (and will do when my Travelpro wears out) I'd put the money into a Tumi.
Old Mar 12, 05, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Two words (and one ampersand): Briggs & Riley

Lifetime guarantee which INCLUDES airline-caused damage.

I have three pieces (expanding roller, expanding duffel and expanding computer case) and they are the best things since sliced bread:

http://briggs-riley.com/
Old Mar 12, 05, 9:58 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Two words (and one ampersand): Briggs & Riley

Lifetime guarantee which INCLUDES airline-caused damage.

I have three pieces (expanding roller, expanding duffel and expanding computer case) and they are the best things since sliced bread:

http://briggs-riley.com/
I'll second that recommendation

mpc1
Old Mar 12, 05, 6:17 pm

Programs: Starting over :( DL Silver National Exec, and Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by cawhite60156
I have a Travelpro rollaboard which I've been pretty happy with, although I think you'll hear mixed reviews on the brand. I use it for several trips/month and it's held up well the past couple years, although I should qualify this with the fact that I rarely check my bags. Have also had several Atlantic rollaboards of varying quality. My Tumi briefcase has been fantastic and not showing any wear after nearly two years of daily (weekday) use and a lot of travel. If I had it to do over again (and will do when my Travelpro wears out) I'd put the money into a Tumi.

I am supprised that you would say that people have mixed reviews. after going through 3 carry ons in 2 years (2 samsonite and an atlantic), I finally decided to get a Travelpro Crew5 (christ any/every airline employee has one), that was my rationale?
Old Mar 12, 05, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by jgold47
I am supprised that you would say that people have mixed reviews. after going through 3 carry ons in 2 years (2 samsonite and an atlantic), I finally decided to get a Travelpro Crew5 (christ any/every airline employee has one), that was my rationale?
The frequent use of Travelpro by airline employees was the rationale I had used to purchase it (that and the problems I was having justifying a Tumi when comparing the two). The complaints I've heard re Travelpro (since buying mine, of course)??? From airline employees (some of whom are good friends)...
Old Mar 12, 05, 7:09 pm

I got tired of dealing with cheaply-built (but expensive) luggage just like you. I tried Samsonite, Travel Pro, and others. The handles would break, wheel bearings come apart, zippers pop, and seams would burst. I can almost guarantee that I travel as much, if not more, than the busiest person on this board...so I needed a good bag. I finally stopped a pilot who had a bag that looked like it was built like a tank. I've seen a lot of them around, but only with airline crew. He gave me the name - Purdy Neat Stuff made by Luggage Works, http://www.luggageworksonline.com/. The bags are a little pricey, about $300 bucks, but it's worth it to me knowing that my bag's not going to fall apart during a trip. The funny thing is, since I've had the bag, I've been mistaken for a deadheading crewmember three times. I got a free headset out of the deal once.

Last edited by travel4aliving; Mar 12, 05 at 7:39 pm
Old Mar 12, 05, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by travel4aliving
I got tired of dealing with cheaply-built (but expensive) luggage just like you. I tried Samsonite, Travel Pro, and others. The handles would break, wheel bearings come apart, zippers pop off, and seams would pop. I can almost guarantee that I travel as much, if not more, than the busiest person on this board...so I needed a good bag. I finally stopped a pilot who had a bag that looked like it was built like a tank. I've seen a lot of them around, but only with airline crew. He gave me the name - Purdy Neat Stuff made by Luggage Works, http://www.luggageworksonline.com/. The bags are a little pricey, about $300 bucks, but it's worth it to me knowing that my bag's not going to fall apart during a trip. The funny thing is, since I've had the bag, I've been mistaken for a deadheading crewmember three times. I got a free headset out of the deal once.
A friend of mine (airline employee) has one of these bags and loves it, and I"ve thought often about getting one for my next bag (vs a Tumi). But rethought it because of the extra weight. I've asked several pilots for their thoughts on this bag and they all really like it. Thanks for posting the link as I couldn't recall what it was earlier.
Old Mar 12, 05, 8:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, IHG Spire
Brigss & Riley is the luggage to have.

They cover all damage, yours, the airlines, etc.

There is even a 20% sale right now.
Old Mar 12, 05, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by rebadc
Brigss & Riley is the luggage to have.

They cover all damage, yours, the airlines, etc.

There is even a 20% sale right now.
I love B&R. The 22 inch rollaboard is wonderful I want the big one, which I can check. Where can I find the sale?
Old Mar 13, 05, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I love B&R. The 22 inch rollaboard is wonderful I want the big one, which I can check. Where can I find the sale?
The B&R website mentions a 20% off sale on the 2004 model @WORK business cases (I have the BB4WX which is marked down from $189 to $149). As I read the website, I don't see that the 20% applies to any other pieces outside the @WORK line (especially not to the Baseline collection that contains the large rollers which you want). If anyone else can correct me, please do. Here's the official site again (the sale is mentioned right on the homepage):

http://www.briggs-riley.com
Old Mar 13, 05, 8:22 am

luggage

I mentioned this on the other discussion recently regarding carryons but it might be worth mentioning again. I have a 20" Travelpro carryon which was questioned when checking in at B.A. in Seattle. In World Traveler you are only allowed 13 pounds and the bag by itself weighs in at 9 pounds. Doesn't take much in it to go overweight - I was at 23 pounds. Fortunately, the very nice agent upgraded me to World Traveler Plus which eliminated the problem. (My check in baggage had previously been checked through at another airport.) Won't take it again unless I know other airline restrictions and I sure won't use it again when flying B.A. World Traveler.

Search this Thread