Wiki Posts
Search

Orlando/S. Fla question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Orlando/S. Fla question

I may have to go to Orlando next week for a quick overnight business trip and wondering if there's a good way to make it a vacation.

I know the weather is not exactlytropical, but warm is warm and I'm ready to soak up some rays after all this winter weather in NYC.

I'm not much interested in the theme parks, but I'm hoping someone can tell me the best beaches within easy driving distance.

I know it's not close, but would it be worth it weather wise to try to get to MIA? (Would driving to MIA be crazy? Would the 250 miles be 4 hours at 65 or 13 hours in stop and go traffic?)

My real pref is beach, but are there other attractions in MCO other than the theme parks?

Also if anyone has a favorite decent business-but-not-too-expensive hotel in the Disney World area, I'd love to hear about it. Reasonably clean and Internet access are all I'm looking for, really. I've been reading reviews of area hotels for a while and it's hard to choose.

Thanks. I appreciate any help from anyone who knows the area.

-R
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:20 am

Options . . .

would include driving west to Clearwater or Sarasota or east to Daytona or one of the other Atlantic beaches. Whether you could actually get in some good beach time will depend on the day to day weather - it could be 55 or 75, you'll just have to play it by ear. If you really want to be sure of beach time I wouldn't go all the way to Miami - Palm Beach and Lauderdale are closer and easier to get to, IMHO. You might also think about taking a Southwest hop from MCO to FLL to cut out the drive, but the total time required (including check-in, security, etc.) will probably be close to a wash.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Orlando to Miami isn't an impossible drive by any stretch, and using the Florida turnpike you'll be able to cover the easy 200 miles in about 3 hours, although it's about 13 bucks toll for the whole trip. Avoid the I5.

If you are in Orlando, do have a look around the downtown. It's had the urban renewal make over and there are some very nice restaurants and bars. You don't even need to see International Drive to get the best from Orlando imho and would probably avoid it.

I was on my own dime (looking to relocate there) so I stayed at the La Quinta on research parkway. Very clean and comfortable which is all I ask (as I'm a simple englishman ).

Hope this was of help.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There's a whole forum on Orlando that will give you lots of ideas.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
If your vacation is going to be more than one day, I agree with USA_flyer. Get yourself a good radar detector and you can fly down to south florida on the highway -- at least until West Palm where you could pick up traffic depending on time of day. It is model season in South Beach - and generally will be nice weather.

Not sure what upper limit of not too expensive is for Orlando... my old company had a rate at the Hilton Garden Inn on International drive near $70/night. I think you can get close to that with a pre-purchase Internet or AAA rates - otherwise it runs a little more. Not a resort like some of the options there, but as with most Garden Inns it was relatively new, nice enough rooms, and free internet.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jan 31, 2005 at 10:08 am
Old Jan 31, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by fcrit
would include driving west to Clearwater or Sarasota or east to Daytona or one of the other Atlantic beaches. Whether you could actually get in some good beach time will depend on the day to day weather - it could be 55 or 75, you'll just have to play it by ear. If you really want to be sure of beach time I wouldn't go all the way to Miami - Palm Beach and Lauderdale are closer and easier to get to, IMHO. You might also think about taking a Southwest hop from MCO to FLL to cut out the drive, but the total time required (including check-in, security, etc.) will probably be close to a wash.
Be forwarned that a number of hotels in Daytona are still closed because of all the hurricanes this past summer. And some of those that are still open are still having work done on them and might not be up to speed yet.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
You didn't say what you want to do on vacation (or I missed it), but if it's just a beach, I wouldn't waste the drive going all the way to Miami. You could easily hit Vero Beach (or any number of beaches between Vero and Cocoa Beach). Seems to me time is at a premium here, so the less time you spend in the car, the better. Also, will you have to drive back to MCO to drop off your car and catch your return flight? If so, that's all the more reason to stay within a 150 mile radius around Orlando.

Those who said check out the Gulf coast are equally correct. St. Petersburg Beach would be a good place to check, as would some of the beaches just south of the Tampa Bay area.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Welcome to Orlando! If you're pressed for time, try Lake Eola in downtown. Closest beach to Orlando take the Beeline (SR528) tollway to the east coast beaches. Could even go to Space center from there. Or try a dinner show theatre (pricey, but many to choose from: Cirque du Soleil (no food), Medieval Times, Arabian Nights, Dolly, etc)
or go shopping at the Mall of Millenia/Florida Mall/Outlet centers, or try nightlife (Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island/Planet Hollywood, Universal CityWalk, Church Street Station,etc) or visit the "little" attractions on I-drive and elsewhere (gatorland, WonderWorks, Ripley's Believe It or not, magic show, skull kingdom, a million water parks (Disney has a bunch, or Water World, Water Mania, etc), there's even a free-fall down a tall chute attraction!)
Or recently, as stated in the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, the businessmen want the thick, expensive steaks and streams of topless women at Rachel's South. Give 'em what they want vs. moral conservatives battle sure to come!
have fun whatever you choose!
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
IMHO, the only reason for heading to Miami/Fort Lauderdale is that it might be a little warmer and the water temperature might be a little warmer. Other than that, from my experience, the further north you are in Florida, at least on the east coast, the better off you will be. If you do want to head south, I would consider the west coast around Naples and Sanibel Island, although they were hit pretty hard by at least one of the hurricanes. Perhaps Sarasota or Clearwater.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Wow, great stuff. Thanks all.

I guess my big question is whether heading south really is worth it in terms of weather improvements.

Like I'd drive 3-4 hours for 10 degrees warmer, but not 3 degrees warmer, or something like that...and as long as I can do a one way car rental, with all the LCCs and now DLs Simplifares, I could probably fly out of FLL for not much more money.

Going back to read over and digest all this now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.