Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone consider which side the Sun is on when selecting seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone consider which side the Sun is on when selecting seats?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Yes, the sun is taken in to consideration but for me the landmarks and celestial phenomenon take precedence over the sun.

On a flight arriving in SFO in the morning hours from the Orient, I sit on the port side to catch a view of the Golden Gate Bridge and downtown San Francisco even though the sun shines on that side in the morning. Starboard side on the flight out to the Orient during noon time hours.

From the West Coast to Texas during daytime hours, I also choose the port side to catch a view of the Grand Canyon. Vice-versa on the starboard side.

Arriving in SYD from the Far East, I also choose the port side for a view of the coast and Sydney Harbour even the sun shines on that side during the morning hours. Flying out during morning or noon, starboard side for another spectacular view of Sydney.

From the Far East to Europe on nighttime flight, I choose the starboard to catch a glimpse of the moon. Vice-versa on the port side.

Flying out of TPE towards the north to Japan and the U.S., starboard on the daytime flights to catch a view of the mouth of Tamsui River, the city of Taipei and the surrounding mountains and the northern coast. However, I always want to change sides mid-flight once we reach Japan because the Japanese coastline is on the port side and sometimes Mt. Fuji is on plain view before descent to either HND or NRT. Flying out towards the south from TPE to Hong Kong and Southeast Asia, port side for the populated west coast plains and the Central Mountain Ranges, which are covered with snow during winter months.

Hmmm..... it's always good to know where to sit especailly if you're flying on a route or to an airport for the first time. Perhaps a thread can be devoted to this topic for us flying nuts.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Gold; *Wood Gold
Window seat

First, you bet I do. I love the window seat because you can see the fascinating landscapes if you're lucky, and it's much easier if the sun isn't in your eyes.

To follow up a few earlier posts, though. Does anyone know of any sort of map/narrative that describes the terrane along (beneath) the major flight paths -- a sort of illustrated John McPhee for the western US portions. Or even a map or chart laying out the flight paths. Drives me nuts to see the amazing landscapes between Denver and LAX, etc. and not be able to either identify the landmarks or understand the geological forces that produced them. Ah for the old days with the talkative pilots.
Also, does seatguru accurately display the wing locations and, therefore, the blocked views?
Old Dec 20, 2004, 8:18 pm

I do this all the time, but sometimes I get caught.

We flew DEN-LAX a few weeks ago. ~5pm departure. Decided to sit on right since sun should be setting on the left. Well sun had probably already set by the time we took off. Awhile into the flight the pilot says "and you can see Las Vegas out the left-hand side."

BillJ
Old Dec 20, 2004, 11:49 pm

Programs: NorthSails | Starboard | ION
I consider the sun... and other things; when I have choice, that is.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:07 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by JetBunny
I take seat location, legroom, and proximity to noise into consideration first, since I usually close the shades except for takeoff and landing. For reasons I'm unable to explain, I tend to prefer the left side of the plane over the right.

im the same way. portside snob i guess
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler 1K, AA Plat, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat etc etc
Originally Posted by gitismatt
im the same way. portside snob i guess
LOL - a new status level!!
Old Dec 21, 2004, 2:51 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Fly16
Does anyone know of any sort of map/narrative that describes the terrane along (beneath) the major flight paths -- a sort of illustrated John McPhee for the western US portions. Or even a map or chart laying out the flight paths. Drives me nuts to see the amazing landscapes between Denver and LAX, etc. and not be able to either identify the landmarks or understand the geological forces that produced them. Ah for the old days with the talkative pilots.
US travellers should really lobby their airlines to install Airshow (ironically by US company Rockwell Collins), which has become standard in the rest of the world in new aircraft, a moving map display on the cabin screens that shows where you are all the time.

There is no such thing as a "standard" flight path nowadays, as routing is determined for each flight taking into account weather, other traffic, etc, although airlins will want to follow a straight line where possible.

I've followed flights across the western US with a Rand McNally US road atlas before now, and it's always worth taking one with you if you've got a window seat. Don't laugh, as an old-days flight deck navigator I knew said he used to do the same out of the cockpit windows as it gave different detail to the aeronautical charts. As this post started, sit on the north side both ways as the reduced glare allows much greater visibility.

Interesting information from pilots over the cabin PA was suppressed from the corporate level on many airlines following complaints, from those who cannot go more than 5 minutes on an aircraft without their beloved electronic entertainment, that the movie soundtrack was being interrupted.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: None Whatsoever
My main consideration is what is the nicest seat available. For example, on a UA 777, I'll go for either 8A or 8J, depending on availability. If both are available, then I might consider where the sun might be...

Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
It never occured to me to think of the sun until I was sat window seat one trip and the screen became so hot it was barely touchable. So yes, I do take it into account and sit opposite, unless it's a red eye in which case I like to see the sunrise
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually prefer the Guardian...

i'll get my coat
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I do, too, but I select a window seat on the "sunny" side of the plane as I like to have control over the window shade. I find that when I'm on the other side of the plane, the sun can be just as problematic, but I have no control over the situation unless I want to impose on the window seat passenger to close the shade (not likely!).
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i do consider the sun when selecting seats, however, legroom trumps other considerations.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Jimbo
I find myself thinking about which side of the aircraft the sun will end up shining on and then avoid sitting on that side. I'm one of those that likes to look out of the window and don't want to be blinded by the sun. Therefore, when I fly between LAX and NRT, I usually sit on the right hand side. Same on the return since the morning sun usually hits the left side of the aircraft after flying through the night. IAD to GIG, I will sit on the right hand side and GIG-IAD I'll be on the left hand side. LAX-MIA I sit on the left hand side and MIA-LAX, I'm on the right hand side. I don't recall this topic being discussed on other threads. I wonder if other FT'ers besides me take into consideration which side the sun is on when deciding where to sit on their flights?
Yes, I too enjoy the vistas out of the window, and enjoy it even more so when the sun does not intrude-- so sun angles do factor in my seat selection considerations.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 8:01 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I always consider the sun angle, but it's not just so simple as sitting on the opposite side. If the sun will be generally behind me, I'm happy to sit on the sunny side. I don't live near a hub airport, so most of my flights involve two legs in and two legs out. So I'll also try to sit on one side on the first leg and the opposite side on the second leg, so my neck doesn't tire from being turned the same direction on both flights (especially important when both legs are on a CRJ).

But I also always book an A seat for overnight flights from the U.S. to Europe, just on the chance that the Aurora Borealis might be visible (only seen it once, though). Before going to sleep I ask the FA to wake me if it appears.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 10:03 am
R
formerly PrePress420

The Aurora Borealis, "Dancing Curtain" , is occasionally visible flying to AMS from U.S. West Coast. Good to be on left side for it. On the return, the right side is nice, as it is a day flight in the Arctic Circle, and the Northwest Territories is great for taking photos. On our Dec return, we left quite late (1:00 pm) and took a very northerly route; the sun often dipped below the cloudy horizon 'til we turned hard left. Saw some spectacular ice flows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.