Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago to Sarajevo, back from Rome, Aug '05 HELP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Chicago to Sarajevo, back from Rome, Aug '05 HELP

Hello all Flyertalkers.

I'm planning a backpacking adventure with my wife in August of 05. I've got my ticket already, a Star Alliance award on the following routing (the absurd FRA-MUC is because the new *Alliance policy only gives those of us with UA miles access to LH routings across the pond 90-days out):
ORD-FRA United
FRA-MUC Lufthansa
MUC-SJJ Lufthansa CityLine

FCO-FRA Lufthansa
FRA-ORD United

My question for you is....
When should I book the paid fare that my wife will fly on?

I've been looking and can get her on the same flights with me to Sarajevo, and back on Iberia for around $1,300, but there's what I'd see as a short connection time in Madrid, and don't know if that's the best deal. What do you think I should expect to pay on this route & when's the best time to book???

Thanks, any and all help is very appreciated!!

Alex
www.freewebtown.com/uherope
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
If flying on different flights and airlines is not a problem try a ticket broker or a travel agent who has a focus on the former Yugoslavia. I have many friends who fly back and forth and they use travel agents who get bulk tickets for the area (BEG, SJJ). I asked one friend who told me she gets tickets around 600-800 depending on the season.

Keep in mind August is the high season for European travel. Fares will run you a good bit of money but I am sure if you are willing to be flexible on your trip you can get a good deal for under 1000 bucks. If I were you and price was important to me, I would fly into LJU. Change your award ticket and have your wife get the lowest ticket price she can find into London. From there book an Easyjet flight into LJU for a few Pounds. Should be the cheapest way to get close to your destination. Start your trip from Slovenia where you can get a train to take you down to SJJ.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:54 pm

One thing I'll say, is if you see a decent deal -- grab it. Last summer, I wanted to book PHL-MXP, LIS-PHL... There were some decent flights, but I hoped for something better... never materialized, so i used miles.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas guys. I thought about the LJU idea, I'm quite familiar with the area, as I used to work there for a summer, but it's not quite as easy as it should be to get from LJU-SJJ. It looks like a stone's throw on a map, but in reality.......not quite. You'd have to take a about 5 hour train to Zagreb, then an overnight train to Sarajevo.

Soo........I think the ethnic agent this is the best idea. I will defintily give that a try. Does anyone have any recommendations of good ones? There is one in my area, that I will check out. So far, I can get my wife on the same flights for around $1400, or on cheaper ones for $1300. Maybe I can beat, that, who knows, but I don't really know how much it matters. I am wholly indifferent what airline she flies on, my account is the one with most miles.

Thanks again guys, and if you have an idea of Ethnic agents, let me know.

best,

Alex
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
A dutch LCC called SnowFlake flies from CPH to Sarajevo. Your best bet would likely be to fly to CPH and catch Snowflake from there.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As a sidebar, Snowflake is the child of SAS, which in turn is Scandinavian (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian). They do fly to FYR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.