Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Berlin, 4 nights upcoming 2/05. Activity options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:53 am
Original Poster

I'll be in Berlin four nights February 2005 (staying in the center of town), haven't been there since before the Berlin wall came down and am curious to see the change. I have a few ideas RE what I want to do/see there but would like input on other suggestions (including tasty dining recommendations that do not require getting dressed in fancy clothing).

As the weather will likely be miserable, unless I get lucky I'll have to focus on mostly indoor activities, e.g., museums. I'm very interested in 20th century history, especially the history of the Soviet/communist occupation, and will therefore seek out anything related to this. 20th century and modern art and innovative photography is also an interest. I have no interest in nightclubs (which I understand Berlin is well-known for). I speak fluent German, in case this is an issue (e.g., some museums in other parts of Germany only label descriptions of items on display in German). Am also interested in checking out the new Russian immigrant areas (and perhaps the food there).

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:19 am

Something not to miss would be the gigantic Soviet memorial monument in Treptower Park. It was made with marble from Hitler's destroyed chancellery, and it is pretty impressive - it is outdoors in the middle of the park, though, so prepare.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:20 am

You should see:
-Museum at Checkpoint Charly
-Jewish Museum
-Museum of Berlin
-Reichstag
-Museums Insel
-Potsdam, Cecilien Hof (Hotel) "Potsdam treaty" with Stalin and the West
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:23 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Brandenburger Tor
Hackesche Hfe
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
The Pergamon museum is spectacular if you are at all interested in antiquity. It's right on Museum Island. They have some great freizes there.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nightclubs is what Berlin is about!

Seriously, I love Berlin, though I haven't been back in a while. If I were to go, I would probably do nothing more than eat, as I love German food. (I know that's heresy to say that...)

The museums are a good idea, as others have mentioned. As you probably know (since you've been there before), there are some good, casual restaurants around the Savignyplatz metro station. Also, take a walk around the Friedrichstrasse area of the old East Berlin. It's apparently kind of a chic, new area.

Have fun!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:08 am

There are several very good walking tours you should take even if the weather is not the best.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'll second Libeskind's wonderful Jewish Museum: it's an excellent, moving place.

Otherwise, yes, the bars and clubs are what Berlin does especially well. I particularly enjoyed the Oranienburgerstrae and Prenzlauer Berg areas of the old East. The Time Out travel guide (as opposed to the magazine) was very good for locating the best spots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.