Search

Boston to New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Boston to New York

Hi,

Once again!. I am almost done planning my trip!.

I am looking to travel from Boston (Cambridge area) to NYC (Manhattan).

I need to leave from Boston on a Tuesday evening. My nephew would like to leave on a Monday night or Tuesday morning, so that he gets to New York as early on Tuesday.

Can you give us some cheap, yet safe, and not a much longer travel time, options please.

Thanks
RJ
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Well, you have a number of options:

1. Drive
2. Greyhound
3. Amtrak
4. DL/US Shuttle
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Bus is probably the least expensive, either chinatown busses or I believe there was a post here about Greyhound matching their rate (as low as $15).

I drove it last night, that's not bad if he has a car.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

I do not have a car.

Any idea on how long the bus journey should take, and if it operates in the evening/night as well?.

Any websites where I can check out their prices and schedules (apart from greyhound).

Are there any train options?.

Thanks
RJ
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:27 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=3797
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rvaccha
Hi,

I do not have a car.

Any idea on how long the bus journey should take, and if it operates in the evening/night as well?.

Any websites where I can check out their prices and schedules (apart from greyhound).

Are there any train options?.
For the Chinatown buses, check out http://www.fungwahbus.com/ticket/ and also do a Google search for other companies. I have found them reliable (when I lived in Cambridge, MA), but others have experienced some difficulties. They have extenstive schedules; the trip takes abour 4-4.5 hours.

There is Amtrak, http://www.amtrak.com, if you want to take the train. It's more comfortable than the bus but is rather expensive.

Alex
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There's nothing wrong with the late-night Greyhound. I've used it several times to get between BOS and NY overnight. They have departures from Boston at 1000p, 1230a and 230a and the trip takes about four hours. You could drive it a little faster, but not as cheaply. Amtrak just has the one overnight departure from Boston AFAIK, at 945p, and it takes longer, and it's a steep $64.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:01 pm

Programs: aa co
My two cents:

I'd say leave Tuesday morning. You don't want to arrive at 2:30 am and have to pay for a room or stay up the rest of the night. If you leave at 7 or 7:30 you can get to Manhattan for lunch and will find plenty to do in the afternoon.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Port Authority between 200a and 600a is actually a very interesting hangout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.