Do you take hotel toiletries ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you take hotel toiletries ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I took inventory last night after reading this thread. I have 19 bars of hotel soap in my bathroom drawer. At an average of one bar of soap for 2-3 weeks I have around a one year supply. Some of it dates back to early 2008. I guess I can put a freeze on my soap aquisitions for a while
Old Sep 12, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by Bidkat

1) The make lovely gifts. I "amenitize" guest baths of friends when visiting
^ +1
We'll put a small basket of various of these small soaps, shampoos, and lotions along with fresh towels (our own, not a hotel's ) in the guest room when we have friends or family visiting.

It's a nice touch, IMHO.

These also come in handy in our gym bags.

We also keep a small shampoo & bar of soap in our car for those times when we just feel like jumping in the ocean and want to rinse off afterward.

Aloha, Ted
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
At an average of one bar of soap for 2-3 weeks I have around a one year supply.
Last soap bar purchase for me was 1996.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Check my location <--

Two words: Hurricane Katrina. I had a stockpile of 4 gallon-sized ziploc bags of hotel mini-bottles of toiletries (from about 3 previous years on the road of daily accumulation) which floated and were thus not destroyed by the flooding in my house when we went back in for salvage. When we stayed temporarily for the following 2 months with relatives, guess what came in REALLY handy for all the members of the family with whom we were staying (there were 8 of us from 3 households who were displaced to said relative's house).
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:53 pm

I don't see why you wouldn't. I don't ask for extras unnecessarily, but I'll take home unused ones that they leave.

We don't use those travel ones that often, so I have no reason to stockpile them at home.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:22 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Smile Point from hotel personnel

I wish someone from a hotel would step in.
What do they think?
Do they prefer to keep everything very unclear and ambivalent?
What does a hotel expect? Take, don't take?
Is it OK for hotels when a guest clears out the toiletries--or do they think 'petty thief'?
Do hotels write the cost of each toiletry into their inventory--or is a soap or shampoo so small in the hotel economy radar?
We are all going back and forth...it's OK, it's not OK...because no-one knows what the hotel position is on this.
Some hotels possibly offer the most beautiful HERMES or BULGARI etc soaps in their suites, and are delighted that the guest takes.
Other hotels perhaps count every bar and bottle.
What is the official point here?
After reading earlier posts about guest rooms and 'gifts' of toiletries--I must tell you that when I stay with a friend and her guest bathroom is 'provided' with all of her 'finds' from hotels in Paris and London and New York or Madrid (small Bulgari soaps etc)..all I can feel is that I would prefer that she went to the trouble of providing nice new and fresh soaps and toiletries and took the time and thought to purchase them. She might think it looks luxurious. I know they all came from specific hotels she has stayed at. I look at this array of hotel loot and ...don't want to touch or use stolen goods.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by EOS
What do they think?
Do they prefer to keep everything very unclear and ambivalent?
What does a hotel expect? Take, don't take?
Is it OK for hotels when a guest clears out the toiletries--or do they think 'petty thief'?
Do hotels write the cost of each toiletry into their inventory--or is a soap or shampoo so small in the hotel economy radar?
We are all going back and forth...it's OK, it's not OK...because no-one knows what the hotel position is on this.
Some hotels possibly offer the most beautiful HERMES or BULGARI etc soaps in their suites, and are delighted that the guest takes.
Other hotels perhaps count every bar and bottle.
What is the official point here?
Does one really need to identify himself or herself to let you know what job and position they work for ?

It is not because no one knows what the hotel position is on this, it is about if you can't take it, it would already listed the price in the minibar menus.

Hotels offer Bvlgari are no different that hotels offer Pantene, it is still put it out there for guest to use, take it or not it is up to you, what is so complicated about taking hotel toiletries ? If you think it is a thief to take, then don't take it, so simple, no need to explain further.

Originally Posted by EOS

After reading earlier posts about guest rooms and 'gifts' of toiletries--I must tell you that when I stay with a friend and her guest bathroom is 'provided' with all of her 'finds' from hotels in Paris and London and New York or Madrid (small Bulgari soaps etc)..all I can feel is that I would prefer that she went to the trouble of providing nice new and fresh soaps and toiletries and took the time and thought to purchase them. She might think it looks luxurious. I know they all came from specific hotels she has stayed at. I look at this array of hotel loot and ...don't want to touch or use stolen goods.

You do know that Bvlgari soap can be sold from their gift sets too right ? Also same as Loccitane do make small bottles for sell in their own stores ?

How do you identify she bought it or take it from hotels ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 15, 2009 at 1:30 am
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by EOS
What do they think?
Who cares?

I find the attitude underlying your post amazing.

You're now going to define "stealing" as "taking things a hotel might prefer you didn't take"? And you're going to turn up your nose at a friend's gift to you because its origin is not to your liking?

If hotels at some point decide customers are taking too many amenities, they'll let you know. Until then, they are provided free of charge or obligation. If you feel guilty taking free stuff, then don't do it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
I take particularly nice toiletries from very high end hotels, but even then I only take shampoo and soaps (I never found their lotions to be anything nicer than I would buy myself, also i don't use conditioner). I use the soaps when I visit friends' houses and stay overnight, I prefer to use my own soap in the shower. I use the shampoos at home, if its a very nice product.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EOS
I look at this array of hotel loot and ...don't want to touch or use stolen goods.
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a hotel GM who believes that someone taking the toiletries provided in the room for guest use is stealing.

Breaking into the housekeeping closets and taking unopened cartons of toiletries might be viewed differently, of course, but apart from that I think that hotels not only tolerate, but also EXPECT that many of their guests will take the toiletries with them.

Why do you think so many of them put their hotel brand on the toiletries? To remind you every time you use them outside of that hotel of that brand.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by EOS
I must tell you that when I stay with a friend and her guest bathroom is 'provided' with all of her 'finds' from hotels in Paris and London and New York or Madrid (small Bulgari soaps etc)..all I can feel is that I would prefer that she went to the trouble of providing nice new and fresh soaps and toiletries and took the time and thought to purchase them.

I heard your friend is making a special trip to Walmart to pick up a bottle of generic shampoo and a few bars of Lava soap just for you.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I don't see taking the small bottles and soaps in the bathroom as looting. They are there for the customer to use. The hotels aren't going to reuse ones that are open.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Toileteries.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I heard your friend is making a special trip to Walmart to pick up a bottle of generic shampoo and a few bars of Lava soap just for you.
Stealing ? Did we not pay for it ? Did not the hotel incorporate the expense of these toileteries in the price of the room ?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
If you don't get new toiletries, the room rate is the same.

I take the shampoo because I use it. I often don't take the soap. I only take the soap to replenish a small supply at home, used for guests and to wash hands after doing work on the car.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
When I stay at hotels, I usually "pay for" one nice washcloth and one nice wooden hanger from every hotel(certain brand usually<---)

Back in Oct.-Nov. I had a trip where I stayed in 10 hotels over 16 days....I actually had to stop taking just one hanger from each hotel due to space constraints.

20 and Counting,
JBDIABM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.