FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you take hotel toiletries ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/357801-do-you-take-hotel-toiletries.html)

Oceanbound222 Sep 24, 2004 5:12 am

Do you take hotel toiletries ?

Is it acceptable for hotel guests to take the soap and shampoo and conditioner EACH day and put them in your suitcase so the maid give a fresh supply?

I sometimes do this but it does cause embarassment. If I stay in a hotel for 12 days, I have tons of toiletries to bring home. (blushing)

Deimos Sep 24, 2004 5:25 am

I would say that it may be acceptable, but it is also a bit silly. :rolleyes: I use the toiletries during my stay, but I haven't seen any reason to bring a dozen tiny bottles of shampoo home when I leave.

Athena53 Sep 24, 2004 5:40 am

It depends. If it's the Boca Raton resort with their wonderful and dreadfully-expensive peach-scented shampoo, yes. If it's mundane stuff, I take the unused portion home (the soap fits nicely in the foil packet from the coffeemaker!).

I've stayed in places where the maid threw out once-used tpoiletries every day and I've hidden the used stuff and re-used it since it seemed so wasteful.

At home, the shampoo is nice for travel when I don't like the local shampoo, or for the health club. The soap is nice to use as hand soap in the bathrooms.

GoingAway Sep 24, 2004 5:56 am

I take the full/unused toiletries ... most i donate but if its a particularly nice product I'll keep it for my own travels or stock my guest room.

No embarassment about it. If they choose to put out new full toiletries each day and i have room in my bag, that's great. If not, no big deal as long as I have enough product to cover my stay.

p1cunnin Sep 24, 2004 6:05 am

I usually take home whatever is left when I leave. The shampoos I hang on to in case a hotel forgets to replenish or when we stay at a relative's house. The lotions and conditioners I seldom use, so I collect those and unused shampoo and we donate them to the local Ronald McDonald House. I wouldn't make a habit out of snagging full bottles every day (even for a good cause), but the folks at RMH are glad to get the donations. We usually throw in a few travel-size shampoo bottles that we buy at Target just so they aren't stuck with too much conditioner and lotion.

kgsd Sep 24, 2004 6:15 am

I guess I'm a toiletries snob - I very rarely use the hotel toiletries while I'm at the hotel - I have stuff I prefer that I bring with me. And I only take the brand-name stuff. :)

When I would stay at a hotel with nice toiletries, I used to take a bunch of them home, but then I realized I was ending up with too many little bottles and never had a use for them. Now I only take them if I don't have another one at home.

Sometimes it's a little embarrassing to take a lot of the toiletries, but I think the hotel figures people are going to take them. I don't think it's wrong to do that.

24.05.2004 Sep 24, 2004 11:35 am

Yes

I too take the toiletries but for a different reason. I spend about 80-90 nights in hotels and have customers in SJO and MGA. I take a care package of the toiletries with me when I visit and drop them off at a couple of local charities that deal with homeless street kids. The organizations love it when I appear with my bag of goodies (usually include some other things I have purchased for them like laundry soap, etc). I presume that my room rates cover the hotel's expense of providing the toiletries and I get to pass along some kindness where it is definitely needed.

kdq123 Sep 24, 2004 11:40 am

I keep the unused oatmeal soaps whch I love, the rest I save and give to the local battered women's shelter.

tide Sep 24, 2004 11:50 am

No I usually do not take them. Purely because I won't use them and they'll just add clutter to my home. I think it is fine to take them though. I just am used to my own toiletries (e.g. I am agnostic to soap but I'll only use my own shampoo).

Sometimes the hotels I stay in (rare though) will have "fancy" toiletries e.g. Gilchrist & Soames, Aveda, Crabtree and L'Occitanne and maybe then, I do bring them home, if only to let someone else at home try them. Gilchrist & Soames I definitely do not - I can't see why this is a premium product.

cawhite Sep 24, 2004 11:54 am

I use hotel soap but my own shampoo & conditioner while traveling, and always take home the unused toiletries. Unless, as mentioned above, it's one that I particularly like, I donate them once or twice a year to a women's shelter in my hometown. They are extremely grateful for them. I'll also use some of them for when I have company staying at my home as well. So I don't feel guilty at all about taking the toiletries home with me.

CPRich Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

I keep one of each item stashed in my carry-on just in case I run out/forget/etc., so it gets "replenished" a few times a year.

We have a collection bin in our office for the local women's shelter. If I know I'll be in the office at the end of the week, I grab what I can if I remember.

lalala Sep 24, 2004 12:02 pm

I take most of them, but they go to the teen feed programs in seattle.

I have to admit, I took the heavenly shampoo and soap (le perlier) that they used at the arrivals lounge at CDG. I saw that my taller half did also.

Like cawhite, I bring my own shampoo, leave in conditioner and face wash. I don't like to change those routines.

lala

pinniped Sep 24, 2004 12:13 pm

I figure that anything in a hotel room that isn't chained to the floor is intended to go into my luggage. :D Just kidding...but I do boost the little shampoos and soaps on the way out. I don't play hide-and-seek with them every day: I just take a couple of fresh ones as I'm packing up and leaving the room.

We put the nicest ones in our guest bathroom and donate all of the mundane ones to a charity that sends people on mission trips to Central and South America.

KyRoamer Sep 24, 2004 12:38 pm

Interesting discussion. Where I occasionally take a soap for use as a hand soap at home, I usually take nothing. I never thought about donating them to shelters and the like. Maybe I'll bring a few more home now.

Say the shelters are short on TV's. But TV's just won't fit into my carry-on so I'll stay with the soaps!

My wife shared this news with me:

This morning--from a cave somewhere in Pakistan--Taliban Minister of
Migration, Mohammed Omar, warned the United States that if military
action against Iraq continues, Taliban authorities will cut off America's
supply of convenience store managers.

If this action does not yield sufficient results, cab drivers will be next.

It's getting ugly.

Others have suggested that Blimpies, Subways and Motel 6 could be next. :)

cicsman Sep 24, 2004 12:52 pm

I grab them (assuming they are reasonable quality) and use them on subsequent trips where I'll be staying at places with no free toiletries (guest houses, B&B's in Eupope).