Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

LAX going and coming: how to spend the time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX going and coming: how to spend the time?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Question LAX going and coming: how to spend the time?

Need your help, FlyTalkers. We'll be stopping over briefly in LA around Thanksgiving, on our way to and from Tahiti and a cruise (we live in CT, have been to northern CA but not LA).

Outbound, we'll arrive late on a Sunday evening so will stay over at a hotel (probably *wood) near the airport with shuttle service. Next day we fly to PPT at 4:30 pm. How best to spend a pleasant relaxing Monday morning and still make an easy transition back to LAX, probably around 2:30 pm? Is a car essential if we have just a morning, or can we get somewhere interesting via cab/bus/whatever? Any city tours like Grayline that are worth taking to get oriented/have an overview?

On our return, we have an overnight flight from Tahiti, arrive LAX about 8:30 am on a Saturday, and our flight next day back to CT is at 11 am. We have all of Saturday open, and maybe time for nice breakfast on Sunday before our flight home. Probably worth renting a car and dropping it off at the airport. We could go a bit further afield for a hotel, but jetlag may factor in...

I know a lot of posters suggest Marina del Rey or Manhattan Beach for a near-to-airport visit -- still a good option in early December? What will the weather be like? And keep in mind, we'll be coming from the stunning beaches of French Polynesia... so maybe a museum as a nice contrast? The Getty? Explore scenery? Could even do some Christmas shopping, but DH might veto that idea! (plus we'd have to schlep it home.)

All advice appreciated -- where else could you get answers to questions like this?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Question Anyone?

Surprised not to hear from anyone yet. Did I post to the wrong topic? (Help, O Moderators!)
Old Sep 16, 2004, 8:55 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
We have a similar situation heading from East coast to SYD and CHC next spring. We're going to head to Manhattan Beach. Main street apparently has quaint shopping and some nice restaurants.

This month's issue of UA's Hemispheres magazine has an article with some suggestions for various length layovers; it's entitled, "Terminal Bliss: Los Angeles." You can probably view it at http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com. If you have the magazine, it starts on page 34.

Something is not right with the link, but I took it right out of the magazine so I'm not sure what's going on. It doesn't take you to a site, but rather asks you if you want to save or open a file.

Some other contact info I found on UA site:

Hemispheres magazine

hemispheresmagazine.com

Write
Hemispheres
1301 Carolina Street
Greensboro, NC 27401

Reprints and back issues
1-336-383-5690
or
1-877-569-4946 (toll free)

Last edited by Chapel Hill Guy; Sep 16, 2004 at 9:20 am
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:19 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by SB_Travlr
Surprised not to hear from anyone yet. Did I post to the wrong topic? (Help, O Moderators!)
See my answer on Fodors.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
The weather should be fine, but because it's the transitional season you could get some rain (then again we haven't had much rain the past few years). Temps in the 70's, it should be pleasant.

Yes, check out the Getty. Plan on spending at least a few hours minimum there. Go early, have some lunch. Maybe do that prior to your flight to PPT and get yourself good and tired so you can sleep on the plane. And yes rent a car, it's just easier.

For something different to do, there's the Queen Mary in Long Beach. If you've never been to it it's pretty awesome. I love the art deco flavor of the ship, it's pretty nifty and it's a good way to spend about 3 to 4 hours depending on how fast ya walk around soaking everything up.

If ya want a good "greasy spoon" type place thats close to LAX, go to Panns. It's food is good but its in an awesome building from an architectual point of view - total 50's diner which I think is cool.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Great information, thanks a bunch everyone. ChapelHillGuy, your link to United's magazine worked -- also listed archive links, so I found the article you suggested as well as 3 Perfect Days/LA and Roving Gourmet/LA. A great resource (which I'll bookmark).

olympicnut, I'm loving the sound of that southern Cal "winter" weather. Temps in the 70's?! Bit different from November/December here in CT, where we had the first snow last year on November 17, and didn't see the lawn again until late March. Hmm, why DO I live on this side??

gardyloo, I've printed the responses on Fodors too -- general consensus of opinions, so I think we're well on the way to getting our plans set.

Now I need to stop obsessing. It's just much more interesting than the pile of papers on my desk...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
You could do Manhattan or Santa Monica or Marina del Rey on the way in - totally different beaches/towns than Tahiti! On your return, I'd go into Beverly Hills for the night - you can walk around, have a nice dinner, see a different part of LA.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Yes, I would suggest renting a car. So it seems, you can't really get around LA without a vehicle. Taxi will limit your ability to be mobile around the city as the fares could really add up. I would not suggets taking the bus.

That being said, you could try Universal Studios, Disneyland in Anaheim (about 45-1 hour away from LAX).

If you like outdoors, consider Venice Beach, Marina del Rey, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, and Manhattan Beach.

As someone else mentioned, try the Getty. For me, it was more hype than anything else, but there sure seems to be a lot of foks who like it.

Any more questions, you could pm or email me, and I will try to be helpful.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by brendamc
You could do Manhattan or Santa Monica or Marina del Rey on the way in - totally different beaches/towns than Tahiti! On your return, I'd go into Beverly Hills for the night - you can walk around, have a nice dinner, see a different part of LA.
P.S. You might check & book hotels that provide transfers to avoid renting a car - I know a lot of the beach area ones do & some of the more upscale hotels in BH might too. Once you get to each of these places, you no longer need transport - just your feet!
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Don't forget about parking costs

Also keep in mind that many hotels and attractions in LA charge for parking, and parking is not cheap! You should factor the cost of car rental + parking before determining whether or not a rental car makes sense if you only plan to hit one or two attractions which would otherwise be in close proximity and easily accessible by taxi or hotel shuttle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.