Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka or Shaghai?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Osaka or Shaghai?

I have a birthday coming up and these are two places I've wanted to visit. I've been to HKG a couple of times but never to Japan, so that makes me think Osaka, Koyoto, and Nara. But I've also read a couple of great books about the history of Shaghai (and I love HKG). Of course visiting both would be ideal, but if you had to pick one, which would you recommend? Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 2:58 pm

Since you've somewhat experienced the Chinese culture in HKG. I would vote for KIX, try out Japan. Great city and the most open to outsiders in Japan in my experience.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Osaka is absolutely wonderful! I had a great stay at the Hilton.

You can get to Kyoto and Nara fast also. Don't miss riding the big red Ferris wheel that's about a 10 minute walk from the Hilton. It's on top of a dept. store. The Hilton is connected via underground shopping to all sorts of transportation. I had a fine time!
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, AA, Worldperks, Asiamiles, BA Miles
Been to both

If you haven't been to Japan, go there. Just the high tech stuff alone is facinating. Food is good (though Shanghai is no slouch and cheaper too). Hygine is much better. Travel efficency, Japan hands down. There are subways in Osaka and Kyoto. Cabs though in China are cheap and at least when I'm there they don't try to cheat me.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:49 am

I have been to both.

As you know that Shanghai is one of the growing city in ASIA. I've enjoyed eating and shopping like Hong Kong.

Kyoto is an ancient city. You could see some temples whice are designated as World Heritage by Unesco.

I agree with Lawnboy. I would recommend Japan too.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:33 am

Shaghai is shagalicious, baby! But perhaps you meant Shanghai?

Anyway, Osaka lacks some of the sheer variety of Tokyo, although admittedly there are plenty of interesting places to explore nearby (not just the usual suspects of Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji, but also Mt. Koya, Mt. Hiei, Kobe, even Ise).

Having returned from my first visit Shanghai last weekend, it didn't feel to be quite up to Japanese or Hong Kong levels of energy quite yet, but is growing at an insane speed and will certainly be a world-class city in another 10 years or so. But for time being, I'd go for Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.