Attire while flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attire while flying

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Attire while flying

How do you dress while flying? Would you dress any differently if flying F as opposed to Y or vice versa?
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:25 pm

I guess I still like to dress nicely when I fly, whether it's for business or leisure. Somehow I know I won't be any more comfortable in jeans & a t-shirt than in a nice pair of slacks.

And besides, no matter where I go, I'm going to need a nice pair of slacks. So I might as well wear them. Same with a jacket of some sort.

Rita
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
How do you dress while flying? Would you dress any differently if flying F as opposed to Y or vice versa?
From what I have observed, people in international F tend to dress much more casually. ..e.g. Johnnie Depp in AF, FC in torn jeans and tee-shirt last year. Some will opt to change into the P.J.'s offered in international FC right before take-off.
If you have a confirmed FC class seat, wear whatever is comfortable. I would exclude shorts and tank-tops.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by obscure2k
From what I have observed, people in international F tend to dress much more casually. ..e.g. Johnnie Depp in AF, FC in torn jeans and tee-shirt last year. Some will opt to change into the P.J.'s offered in international FC right before take-off.
If you have a confirmed FC class seat, wear whatever is comfortable. I would exclude shorts and tank-tops.
Good advice on International flying. I try to select a balance between style and comfort and there are a lot of clothing options nowadays. When traveling International, I know I eventually have to check into a (usually) first class hotel so I try not to dress too casually for the flight. If I'm delayed on check-in and need to kill time in the area I'd at least try not to look like something the cat dragged in.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't even take jeans with me anymore when traveling. They take up too much space in the bag, and are always setting off the detectors, so for me it's a business casual look unless it's some type of meeting where I need a suit, but I'm likley to have the tie in my jacket pocket until I land.

Once I started getting upgraded fairly frequently, I do try to look a bit better for flights, shave first, all that stuff, so I guess you could say I do dress better on the hope of moving up front.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
As a paying passenger I wear blue or black Wranglers (I don't have too many Levi's left), a clean T-shirt with a Christian message of some sort (tucked in, with a belt), a pair of Tony Lama cowboy boots, and a black cowboy hat. Just the same way I dress for work.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Silver, Hyatt GP Platinum, Marriott Rewards Silver
Depends on destination and purpose of trip

If my destination/purpose is business, then one set of my business clothes (whether that's my suit, uniform, whatever I have to have at destination. That way if I arrive and my luggage goes missing, my trip isn't ruined.

If it's casual, jeans, a cotton shirt and jacket if I'm taking one on the trip (so I don't have to pack it) and in case of temp shifts on the trip.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:45 pm

Okay, I will bite, Loose Cannon. What is it that you do?

And I wear whatever is clean. I dont get the whole dressing up thing. I never look like a total slob unless for a good reason so there is no reason to look like one on an airplane. Then again, I dont wear closed shoes unless for a good reason, so I dont find it necessary to wear them to fly. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
I only have shorts and t-shirts so that is what I wear.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Darren]Okay, I will bite, Loose Cannon. What is it that you do?

I drive truck for a living. With my latest gig I shuttle trucks from place to place and I often fly to get to the customer where I pick up the truck.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
I dress super casual. At most, polo shirt and jeans -- often t-shirt and shorts. In fact, I've done RTW's in C in tshirts and shorts

Steve
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Recently my policy has been never too smart, never too casual and always comfortable. I wouldn't be seen dead in a business suit on a long flight but I wouldn't wear jeans either. Its been a good policy as since I stopped dressing really casual I've even been given a couple of upgrades.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:27 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I buy Travelsmith, Eddie Bauer, etc. clothes- comfortable and respectable in anything but traditional business dress situations. If I know I'm flying Business, I wear a jacket. No shorts or sandals on planes- no shorts because you never know when you'll be frozen out by too much A/C and no sandals because I move better through the airport in sneakers. So, I usually look decent.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:57 am

Programs: BA
I travelled with cheapo Ryanair to and from a business meeting in Scotland (meeting 2 miles from Ryanair's airport), in my suit of course, a rare commodity on many Ryanair flights. And nosing around the airport at Prestwick on my way home got me into the otherwise closed and locked Business lounge right next to the gate, on my own.

I could hear the crowd baying at the gate outside and was getting ready to join them when to my surprise the gate agent opened the door, said "um ... we're ready for you now sir", and let me out ahead of the other 100 or so jeans and shell-suited travellers, who all instantly fell quiet and gaped. It must have been quite a scene. So you see, a suit can get you priority boarding on Ryanair, which many would say doesn't exist.

Quite separately, I notice that suits seem to have disappeared almost entirely from C class intercontinental flights. Even those who come straight from the office to evening flights seem to get changed first nowadays.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 7:52 am

Programs: AA and Marriot
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Depends on what I'm going to do when I get off the plane. Leisure trips mean anything from shorts and a t-shirt to khakis and a polo shirt.

If it's for business, I wear the suit on the plane (no tie) because I have yet to find a piece of luggage that won't wrinkle my suit

Bottom line: I don't think there is any appropriate or inappropriate way to dress when flying F. HOWEVER, I always wear the suit and tie when flying coach in hopes of getting the last minute upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.