Attire while flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Attire while flying

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:20 am
Original Member

Outbound in the summer: Shorts, a button-down business casual shirt that I will press and wear again one day at the job site, dockers-style slip on shoes. Too hot in VPS on a Sunday afternoon to do otherwise.

Outbound in the winter: Business casual dress, which lets me avoid packing one pair of pants in my carryon, offset by the obligatory jacket for warmth when I get to my job site.

Inbound, summer or winter: The business casual I usually am wearing from the job site. It'll be at night when I arrive in Florida so the heat isn't so much of a concern in summer, and sometimes the jacket is nice to have handy in the winter.

I, too, never bring jeans. Too heavy. In summer, after hours, I can wear the shorts I came in on, and in winter, my business casual pants are fine. I always keep a pair of warm gloves permanently in the carryon, summer or winter, as I do not need them at home, and it saves me from trying to find them when winter comes.

In general: I, too, never pack blue jeans. While I love 'em, they are too, too, heavy to be putting in my carryon. In the summer, the shorts I wore outbound are fine to slip into after work; int he winter, the long pants I wore to work are fine. By picking the wardrobe(shirts match w/multiple pants and vice-versa), I can pack 2 weeks' worth of business dress into the carryon. Also, just 2 pr of shoes, usually, one of which I wear outbound, so just one pr has to go into the carryon.

Guess I'm lucky being a guy, as I am continually amazed at how much stuff my wife and daughter have to pack even for a 2-day weekend!
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:58 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I prefer casual wear (side note the most of my travel is leisure) jeans, cargo pants or chino in combination with a button down and (depending on my destination) a sweatshirt (-jacket) or a T-shirt underneath. I would not wear shorts and tank tops in a plane, as I do not feel comfort-able in shorts in a plane (due to the a/c).

I also have some clothes in my hand luggage, which I could easy reach and change to, if this is necessary.

And I make not difference between Business and Economy (and will not if I will fly in First).
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation Nonbody has discussed footwear

I work for an airline. With that said, how many of us have ever been on an emergency landing? One where there's smoke in the cockpit? One where you have to bail out?

I have. It blows too.

Now, how many times have you seen people board aircraft with flip-flops or
high heels? While those shoes have their place, IMHO they belong in the rollerboard & not on one's feet on an aircraft.

What are the chances of things going badly? To me they are 50/50. Either we do or we don't. Granted these are (thankfully) very rare occasions. But every time I go to work, in back of my mind, I wonder what someone has innocently packed that should have been left at home.

I feel much better now as I don't have to fly again until tomorrow.

Wait till I start a thread on HazMat...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:55 am

My husband and I dress casually. Both in slacks, a nice shirt and easy on/off shoes for security.

Once we were the weird couple that dressed alike, black slacks and a green shirt.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:23 am

I dress in a business casual - churchlike way. We have a dress code for travelling standby and it is just easier to err on the dressy side of things. I have to dress my husband or we will have problems, such as no socks or a collarless shirt. He is getting better and last time we travelled he did good.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I wear what I feel comfortable in be it church attire or clubwear.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:31 am

Programs: COPP/UAGS SPG Platinum, USAir Gold Hyatt Diamond, Amex Centurion
Jeans, jeans, jeans...

Originally Posted by obscure2k
From what I have observed, people in international F tend to dress much more casually. ..e.g. Johnnie Depp in AF, FC in torn jeans and tee-shirt last year. Some will opt to change into the P.J.'s offered in international FC right before take-off.
If you have a confirmed FC class seat, wear whatever is comfortable. I would exclude shorts and tank-tops.
Love my jeans.

Usual attire is blue jeans, 3/4th sleeve t-shirt under a short sleeve t-shirt. (it's ALWAYS cold on planes.) Black shoes.

There's a severe difference between casual vs. unkempt... You can pull off casual and still look good. This month's Details has a good article on that - how if you're going to wear jeans and a t-shirt, wear an expensive suit jacket and that offsets it.

-Peter
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:07 pm

Programs: Miles and More
I tend to make sure I'm comfortable so it's usually tshirt/polo shirt, either jeans or combats and either trainers or comfy shoes. I find that your attitude says a lot more about you than your clothes providing you're clean and relatively tidy and people tend to respond to you far better. I've seen people complaining about botched transfers greeted with stony faces and unhelpful attitudes and had the same gate staff be polite and helpful just moments later to people with a far more "professional" attitude.

On the suit front, nothing leaves a worse impression on me than meeting people who look like they've slept in their clothes. Providing you've got a decent sized bag, you can keep your trousers flat and then, if neccesary, wear your jacket on the plane and get an attendant to hang it somewhere or store it relatively flat.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Never shorts. Never sandals (don't own any, anyway). Always, a shirt with a pocket (it's just handy). Sometimes a suit, if I need it on the trip, or needed the room in the luggage on the way back. Cotton or wool pants, cotton shirt. I also like shoes that don't tie, simply because of the X-Ray process.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:23 pm

Airplanes are very dirty places. Because of this I never wear shorts or sandals onboard. For that reason, and the fact that I don't like someone else's skin touching mine if I happen to be flying in coach I always wear long sleeved shirts while flying.

I also always keep my shoes on while onboard for hygenic reasons. Seriously, why do people take their shoes off? I even see people going barefoot into the lavatories. That is pretty disgusting.

Last edited by sapman986; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:25 pm
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If I am coming/going directly to/from a client site or one of our other offices, I'll wear dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. Otherwise, it's usually jeans and either a button-down Polo shirt or a golf shirt, depending on the weather. For a flight to/from Europe, I'll pack a black t-shirt and long black workout pants and change once I'm on the plane. That's also the only time I'll take off my shoes on a plane, but I pack a second pair of clean socks.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I usually wear khakis or a nice pair of pants with a Chicos travelers top or a polo or a sweater. I can't remember the last time I packed a pair of jeans. I usually wear slip on shoes. I don't usually wear sandals but I sometimes do if on a short weekend trip in the summer such as the one I just took to Phoenix from DFW in August. I prefer to not look too sloppy because I think when you look nicer you are very often treated nicer. I very often wear a pair of black and white minicheck trousers with a black Chicos top. On my last trip to England in business I sat next to a woman in J in the same travel "uniform". We looked like twins. I guess I am not the only one that finds that particular outfit to be practical travel attire.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Hazmike
What are the chances of things going badly? To me they are 50/50. Either we do or we don't
The lottery must love you, that's probably 50/50 to you too, either you win or you don't.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

It is disgusting when people (especially men) wear those sandals where their feet are overflowing from all sides of the sandals...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I avoid shorts on planes. Otherwise I've traveled in anything from a suit & tie to jeans and sneakers, regardless of class of service. And if the only thing I'm doing that is traveling, I often don't shave.

And I second the taking off of shoes -- I avoid it like the plague. The only times I've done it is on the overnight int'l flights where I put the extra socks from those amentiy kits on over my own socks. I especially don't understand people who do it before takeoff. Those shoes could become dangerous in case of an emergency....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.