Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Freaking out about a LH BOS-FRA-STR-VCE flight on Friday

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Question Help! Freaking out about a LH BOS-FRA-STR-VCE flight on Friday

OK, I am not great about flying, and I have a long day ahead of me on the 10th-11th. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me information about what I'm likely to be encountering on a 9:40 PM flight from BOS-FRA.Sadly, I'm in economy.

I've never flown Lufthansa before, and any information I can get down to the most mundane details will make my flight a little better. I don't like surprises, at least not while I'm on a plane. E.g., will they serve a meal? Do they just shut off the lights and hope that everyone sleeps? Is there an in-flight movie, or movies? Do you get any loot in economy on LH (socks, earplugs, whatever)?

I would also appreciate any feedback on the rest of the flights, but it's the 7 hr. flight that's really worrying me. Thanks very much in advance. I'm sure I'll be OK once I'm on the plane (armed with a mighty dose of benzos), but some advice from seasoned travellers would make the next couple nights a little less sleepless.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:32 pm

Yeah one thing, try to turn your trip into BOS-FRA-VCE.

Flight: 4086 - 12:25 pm
Flight: 4090 - 4:45 pm
Flight: 4092 - 9:30 pm
-----------------------
Flight: 4084 - 8:40 am(showing no seats)
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jacque
Yeah one thing, try to turn your trip into BOS-FRA-VCE.
Alas, I already tried. I'm flying on Mileage Plus miles, so I had to take what they could give me. When I called, they wouldn't even give me the option of standing by on the direct flight to Venice.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I'm sorry, but the OP sounds like a troll to me.

At least some of these questions (re: meals, entertainment, etc.) could be answered by simply PICKING UP THE PHONE and calling the airline. (Some info can also be obtained on the website, of course.) How difficult is that???

Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:39 am

This thread should probably be moved to the LH forum since the question is LH specific. Also, regarding the accussations from KathyWdrf, everyone knows that it is much easier to just ask questions on FT rather than calling an airline. And the answers are more likely to be correct.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Deimos
everyone knows that it is much easier to just ask questions on FT rather than calling an airline. And the answers are more likely to be correct.
I disagree.

Also, FlyerTalk helps those who help themselves.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:53 am

Picking up the PHONE to an airline?

These days that's something I'd only ever do as a last resort.

"Thank you for calling Flyinghigh Airlines. You now have nine options. Press 1 for.... Press 2 for... [...] Press 9 for all other enquiries"

"Thank you. You have chosen 'all other enquiries'. You now have nine further options."

"Thank you. All our operators are busy assisting other customers. Please hold"

"Thank you for your patience. Your call IS important to us. All our operators are still busy assisting other customers. Please continue to hold".

Much quicker to bash out a quick question on FT... (Though I would probably check the airline's web site before doing that)
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Much quicker to bash out a quick question on FT...
I don't think so.

It's been nearly FIVE HOURS since the OP posted the questions. How many more hours (or days) do you think it will be before all those questions are answered?

If it were me, I would have gotten the answers (meals/entertainment, at least) via website or phone hours ago.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 4:07 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To be fair to the OP, it's also usually good to get the 'real experience' from people on this board, rather than the airline website's spin.

panicked - there is a 'trip reports' section on flyertalk, which will answer a lot of your questions - do a search in that forum for 'LH', and you'll see a number of responses. Don't be put off by the amount of reports that are all first class travel! Also, the Lufthansa Miles & More (under Airline Programmes) contains information about the service as much as it does about the M&M programme itself.

Basic pointers:

I assume BOS-FRA is overnight. You're therefore likely to get yourself a meal shortly after departure, which will be followed by lights out. Then, about 90-120 minutes before landing, you'll get lights on and some breakfast. One criticism of LH economy long-haul is the lack of personal in-flight entertainment. There are films on large screens. However, you may want to take some extra reading material, as there's not much choice in viewing.

Lufthansa have an online check-in, which is hidden in the depths of the website. You can either enter the CC number you used to pay the taxes, or the FF number (if your FF plan is supported by the check-in). It doesn't let you specify an individual seat, but rather window or aisle preference, which at least lets you avoid a middle seat.

On the domestic flight, you'll probably get a quick drink. On the STR-VCE, you'll mostly likely get a drink from a fairly limited selection, plus a small sandwich.

If you have Star Alliance Gold status, the check-in system should block the seat next to you, pending availability.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
To be fair to the OP, it's also usually good to get the 'real experience' from people on this board, rather than the airline website's spin.
Thanks very much, Stut. That does help immensely. For the record, I have called the airline (multiple times), and for 2 of the 3 segments, they couldn't even tell me which kind of plane that I would be flying on, much less what service to expect. It could have just had bad luck getting the brand new customer service rep, but they weren't much help. I will check out the trip reports.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 4:41 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Panicked,

I hope you are able to get enough information to make your flight more peaceful and enjoyable.

I find it unsettling that some posters believe it is OK to call another poster a troll just because they post a question. Some of us do not know every thread that has been posted... and sometimes get frustrated with the search feature.

I have also learned that the best resource this board has is the members themselves. Cannot mention how many times I have seen members patiently help other members and provide information that they could not easily or accurately get from the airline employee.

Again, hope you get the advice you need... just put on your ignore feature to ignore things you don't need to see...

William
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's stay friendly, folks, thanks...

--richard, moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.