Search

Which airline BDL to LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Question Which airline BDL to LAX?

Need your input, oh gurus of flight.

The Sunday before Thanksgiving we fly from CT to CA for an overnight before a vacation flight to Tahiti and Taha'a, then a cruise. Have to leave Sunday after 3 pm (grandson christening day), and have to get our flight to PPT next day (which is why we decided to switch from USAir, too much uncertainty). It's November, so weather can be a factor (we don't want to go via Chicago).

Our best options seem to be:
- United via IAD
- Continental via Houston
- Delta via Cinci
- AA via Dallas

Primary objective is a reliable, comfortable, pleasant flight (hope I'm not dreaming here... ) that will be a good start to a wonderful vacation. No miles involved, tho' we are new Delta collectors. Oh, and we'll be in the cheap seats. Food not an issue as long as there is time to eat or buy during layover.

Thanks in advance for your input -- we're very excited about this trip, and appreciate all the advice we've been finding here as we made plans... So what would y'all advise?
Old Sep 7, 2004, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Well there's always WN through LAS, but I wouldn't recommend that.

If you're that concerned about making the connecting flight because of weather, out of those choices I'd venture to guess AA through DFW or CO though IAH. And between those two I'd choose CO since DFW SUCKS!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would do AA through Dallas since you will be flying in the back of the bus. Atleast you will have MRTC (More Room Through Coach). I was just pricing out this itinerary as well for the LAX Oktoberfest DO. Luckily my company pays for F so the service in the front of the plane makes a difference when making my decision!

AA flies out of T2 in BDL. There is nothing to eat in this terminal so you may want to pack a lunch if you want to eat on the first leg of your trip.

Last edited by prncess674; Sep 8, 2004 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, olympicnut and prncess. Helpful, yet conflicting!

O-nut, what's the issue with DFW? It's not like we'll be there very long...
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:13 am

I would pick the one with the best connection (ie: not to short and not to long). Also, consider the total traveling time. And finally, pick whichever one you have the most miles in so as not to get some orphan miles in a program that you will never use (remember alliances: DL, NW, & CO can all earn miles in each other's program).
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by olympicnut
...two I'd choose CO since DFW SUCKS!
DFW is NOT that bad. Since DFW is a AA hub you will have plenty of food choices. I am a CO "chic" but I personally would rather be stuck in AA MRTC than CO economy. I fly CO because I am usually in the front and they have some of the best domestic F service in the sky. (IMHO). CO will serve a turkey sandwich and chips in coach on both legs of this journey but I would give up the turkey sandwich for MRTC. AA has a 3:52 departure to DFW. Would this be late enough for you?

VIA: Dallas/Fort Worth TX US
AA 2257 From:BDL To:DFW 3:52 PM 6:56 PM
AA 2479 From:DFW To:LAX 8:40 PM 9:57 PM

If you miss the 8:40PM connection (weather delays, etc) you could always catch. I always like having a back up connection.
AA 2489 From:DFW To:LAX 9:57 PM 11:07PM

Last edited by prncess674; Sep 8, 2004 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 8, 2004, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Prncess -- you sound like the same kind of planner as me! It's helpful to know that there is another option should we miss our connection.

I'm leaning toward AA just for the extra legroom -- it will be a long day, and a bit more space is a huge plus. If they offered seatback movies, that would clinch the deal. Guess I'm spoiled by too many transatlantic flights with BA's nice movie/audio system, even in the back of the bus...
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:03 pm

If you really want seat back video, you could fly the nonstop JetBlue flight from JFK to Long Beach or Boston to Long Beach.

I know that you asked about Hartford, but consider this: The extra time that it might take you to drive to JFK or Boston and catch a nonstop might be less than the extra distance of leaving from Hartford, flying to Dallas, waiting for a connection, then off to LA.

Just a thought!

(My brother just did that to go to Connecticut from Denver. Rather than catching a connection to BDL, he took a nonstop to JFK - in the end, the door to door time was about the same, but he didn't have to worry about missing a connection)
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Originally Posted by steve100
If you really want seat back video, you could fly the nonstop JetBlue flight from JFK to Long Beach or Boston to Long Beach.

I know that you asked about Hartford, but consider this: The extra time that it might take you to drive to JFK or Boston and catch a nonstop might be less than the extra distance of leaving from Hartford, flying to Dallas, waiting for a connection, then off to LA.

Just a thought!

(My brother just did that to go to Connecticut from Denver. Rather than catching a connection to BDL, he took a nonstop to JFK - in the end, the door to door time was about the same, but he didn't have to worry about missing a connection)
VERY TRUE!! I never thought of that. JetBlue or HP non stop to LGB or LAX (respectively). Both cheap fares, both have plusses and minus'.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:33 pm

Yep, from JFK to LongBeach on JetBlue, there is a $99 oneway fare leaving on Sunday 11/21/04 at the following times (you asked for departing after 3pm)

4:00pm - arrive: 8:40pm
5:25pm - arrive: 9:50pm
6:30pm - arrive: 9:50pm

All leather seats, seatback live video, nonstop, inexpensive, and fun! What more can one want?

(P.s. - Yes, the JetBlue flight arrives at Long Beach, but it is not that far at all to LAX)

There are also other options - for example, Delta nonstop from JFK to LAX for $113 oneway (depart at 5:55pm, arrive at 9:18pm) or similiar options on AA also nonstop from JFK to LAX for $113 oneway.

Last edited by steve100; Sep 8, 2004 at 9:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.