Wiki Posts
Search

Dressed Like a Tourist??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2004, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA and Marriot
Dressed Like a Tourist??

Moderator, please move to correct forum if necessary.

I'm going to start spending more leisure time in Europe, but I have to consult the fashion police first.

My girlfriend and I were both in Europe a few years ago, so I went to see her in Paris. She noticed I was wearing khakis and a gray fleece, then accused me of dressing like a tourist instead of wearing dark clothing.

For those of you who travel to Europe, do you go out of your way to dress in dark clothing? If so, how do you avoid looking like a tourist who is simply dressed in Euro style?
Old Sep 5, 2004, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need A Beach
Moderator, please move to correct forum if necessary.

I'm going to start spending more leisure time in Europe, but I have to consult the fashion police first.

My girlfriend and I were both in Europe a few years ago, so I went to see her in Paris. She noticed I was wearing khakis and a gray fleece, then accused me of dressing like a tourist instead of wearing dark clothing.

For those of you who travel to Europe, do you go out of your way to dress in dark clothing? If so, how do you avoid looking like a tourist who is simply dressed in Euro style?
Frankly, I don't worry about it. We're going to look like tourists, anyway -- I carry a huge camcorder and a digital SLR, I have a backpack, my wife carries a guidebook and dresses in "comfortable and practical" (though she'll dress stylish when we go out for dinner), and, of course, we speak English (or Mandarin) to each other. There's no way anyone would mistake us for anything but tourists. The only thing we're concerned with is that we not look like rude tourists, ignorant tourists, obnoxious tourists, etc.

If you're concerned about being a potential crime victim, just take the normal precautions -- don't carry a lot of cash, use a money belt instead of a wallet in your back pocket, carry only the credit card you're going to use, leave your passport in your hotel safe, etc.

In all of our many, many trips abroad, we've never tried to "dress local" (though my wife will dress modestly and, sometimes, wear a silk scarf when we're in predominantly Muslim countries -- this is out of respect, not fear). We've never been robbed, never been scammed, and never treated anyway other than warmly.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I've read that wearing athletic shoes "trainers" is a dead giveaway. I wear them anyway- my husband and I walk a lot and that's what's comfortable. Years a go I found a kid in a group of schoolchildren in Ghent surverying my shoes, and he asked me where I was from!

Like the previous poster, we carry cameras, maps and all the toursit accoutrements so we tend to stick out- but we're also low-key and I try to speak the loacal language, so we usually get a pretty good reception.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I find it liberating to travel to a place like Asia where, for the most part, it's pretty damn clear I'm a tourist so I don't have to worry about it.

For me it really depends on where I'm going and the type of experience I want to have. I've been to Paris countless times, having lived there for a couple years, but still consider myself a tourist each time I go. In this case I try to blend in, speak as much French as I can and generally do the "European thing" for as long as I am there.

In London it's pretty similar.

I was recently in Barcelona and Mallorca, however, and I just didn't care about looking like a tourist. I wore sneakers, I carried around my big SLR camera, had no problem breaking out the map and reading it in public, etc. These are things I would probably not do in Paris. One reason is that I have no need to use a map or take many pictures, but the other is I like trying to fit in.

In your case, I would wear whatever you feel like with some exceptions. The sneakers thing makes you stand out only because the level of dress in Europe is higher than the US. Teenagers wear sneakers with their jeans; adults do not. I suppose the equivalent here would be you walking around with baggy jeans and a Shaq jersey, or something.

Also remember that you'll only fool them as long as they don't hear you. The minute you open your mouth you're a dead giveaway.

But hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and leave the sneakers at home.
Old Sep 5, 2004, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I believe in any city or place in a day or two you can get an idea what makes a tourist and what doesn't in the dress department. I try not to look like a "tourist", but agree that in places like China we were more of an attraction to some of the locals then some of the places we were visiting.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Athena53
wearing athletic shoes "trainers" is a dead giveaway.
On my trips to Europe in the 80s and 90s I would intentionally not take my running shoes/trainers. A pair of comfortable brown leather walking shoes would be shoe of choice. But, over the past few years it seems that a lot of folks are wearing running shoes/trainers - and it is not only the Americans. Nowadays, I do pack my running shoes, but they are only used for exercise. My walking shoes are now a pair of brown leather and black leather shoes!
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:49 am

I try to dress down (or up as the case may be) to look less of a tourist, but the style of clothing itself is a dead giveaway. Clothes in Europe are just cut differently from the US so it's almost impossible.

I once went to Nordstroms and asked one of the consultants to dress me so I looked less like an American. She did a pretty good job from their stock. Although there were things she suggested that I just plain didn't like.

Another giveaway for travellers from the US is the Mediterranean peoples propensity to be all bundled up when it's a sunny, high 40 degrees day. They're wrapped in wool scarves and gloves, all zipped up, and we're walking around like it's a spring day. Hard to bundle up and swet for the sake of the goal. (I remember New Year's Day in Rome a couple of years ago when we were dying of the heat and the Italians were freezing.)

I agree with PTravel that the most important thing is not to look and act like the ugly American. That means quieter voices, more genteel manners, more than European fashions.
Rita
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:07 am

To some extent, by dressing like the natives, including wearing of the shoes that they wear, you can blend in somewhat. Behavior, such as looking serious, walking fast and with purpose, helps. On the other hand, you may want to gawk at Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, or Sugarloaf.

I often carry a briefcase instead of a backpack. I've been asked by tourists for directions, one time even in French. The couple made a big assumption that I could understand it as the country was not a French speaking country. On the other hand, maybe they had no choice but to speak French.

Sometimes, you can't avoid being spotted as a tourist. While in eastern Morocco, I stuck out like a sore thumb. Some people did not know I was American, though.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a Londoner, white sneakers (often with a pair of pale jeans) are a dead giveaway. So are baseball caps and cameras/videocams hanging the neck. If you are worried about fitting in, avoiding those three things will help hugely. Coloured trainers, no hat and rucksack/backpack/record bag will help you blend in - or at least look like a European holiday maker.

FWIW, I am 30 and outside work rarely wear anything other coloured, smart trainers, slightly distressed jeans and either a fine knit sweater or bright stripey linen shirt depending on season. Wearing that kind of outfit has seen me stopped for directions both at home and in Frankfurt, Vienna, Barcelona and Budapest.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No fanny packs.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Athena53
I've read that wearing athletic shoes "trainers" is a dead giveaway. I wear them anyway- my husband and I walk a lot and that's what's comfortable. Years a go I found a kid in a group of schoolchildren in Ghent surverying my shoes, and he asked me where I was from!

Like the previous poster, we carry cameras, maps and all the toursit accoutrements so we tend to stick out- but we're also low-key and I try to speak the loacal language, so we usually get a pretty good reception.
It depends on what kind of sneakers. Plenty of people wearing sneakers in Europe -- especially women.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Every culture has its foibles, which stand out to others.
For example, in the North of England we tend to carry our jackets, even if it's too hot to wear them (effectively using the jacket as a bag) rather than go out without them.

Many's the time I've been ID'd as a Brit because of this (ie before I've opened my mouth so not the accent and not the clothes as I generally buy my clothes in the US - apart from my fetish for fitted shirts from Jermyn St.)

But hey - it might rain
Old Sep 7, 2004, 11:55 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by BearX220
No fanny packs.
And more importantly, careful use of the above word - it has an ever so slightly different meaning on this side of the pond
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
I find that dark clothing is always good - it seems that everyone is Europe still goes for black. Also, there are a lot of nice sneaker/shoes (Tod's especially) that Europeans are wearing; in fact, we got our first pairs in Capri last year. Jeans are still good, but not light colored ones. And more Europeans are wearing khakis, although generally darker khaki. For men and women, the sweater over the shoulders is still a good look (not around the bum!), no fanny packs or "theme tees", and Europeans still dress a bit more formally than Americans.

Another thing we do is look around at what people are wearing and sometimes plan on purchasing an item stylish to the area - and find that a lot of these styles are just arriving in the States.

Consequently because of the way we dress, people do not think we are tourists and that is true even in the Far East.

I agree with those who say that acting ignorant, rude, intolerant etc is also bad - and it helps to at least know "please, thank you, good day, good night, and good bye" in local language.

Last edited by Bruiser; Sep 7, 2004 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by Internaut
And more importantly, careful use of the above word - it has an ever so slightly different meaning on this side of the pond
Indeed. This is totally OT but it's a funny story. Many years ago I was head roadie on the UK tour of an American evangelical Christian heavy metal band. At the first gig, the singer was talking about "kicking Satan in the fanny". When he came off stage I was waiting, put my arm over his shoulder and said "Lester - we've got to talk!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.