Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines treat young elites best (or better than average)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airlines treat young elites best (or better than average)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I've never had any problems on UA regardless of what class I'm seated in (I'm in my early 20s.) Even last summer when I was upgraded to F after an unplanned overnight--without clean clothes or a shower--I received the same treatment as everyone else in F!
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:06 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Originally Posted by macska
I have had the USAir FAs physically block the first class section (can I get to my seat please!!), been nastily told that the line was "over there" when I had the nerve to get in the Elite/First Class line, been carded in First Class etc., etc. Sadly, this is not an area where USAir excels. Of course, many of their employees have treated me politely, but I think this is an area that needs improvement.
A few days later tell them where improvement is needed in a letter, cite the specifics, give times, dates, places, and names, and include a request for an additional perk or voucher or miles for the trouble and humiliation.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I've been PLT on AA since age 19 and have never had any negative experiences due to my age. Occasionally at the AC they'll ask if my membership is really mine, but besides that I've been given equal (if not better treatment) across the board. I have never been questioned as to why I'm standing in the FC check-in line or why I'm boarding with the FC pax. I think it has much to do with how you present yourself. If one's always polite, well-dressed, and knowledgeable about airline practices then they are likely to be leagues ahead of the normal traveler reagrdless of age. I'd like to think that I could be viewed as a long-term investment, as 50 more years of flying AA as PLT (or perhaps EXP someday) could represent a sizeable amount of revenue.

It would be interesting to find out if other airlines treat their young elites differently, but I would guess they probably don't.

FlyerBeek
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
I am 24 and I've almost always been treated the same or better than other elite passengers. Only one time leaving from SCL I was told twice that "the line is over there" I just said "yes I know" and walked right through. Other than that it's been great. I've been a Plat with AM for the past 6 months, but even before I was an elite I would occasionally get upgrades just for asking and putting up a smile
Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:51 am
tiernan1338

I have not held an elite status with any particular airline due to work's insistence on ever changing "our corporate preference". Which usually only ever seem to reflect in discounted J-class seatings (though I am thankful that I don't fly in Y). As a result, I haven't accumulated enough points/credits to be of any notable status.

Without fail, I would be approached by at least one attendent on every flight/checkin 'requesting' that I move to the economy lines. Like macska and a number of other board members, I am continually mistaken for being younger than I really am (admittedly 26 isn't excessively old in the scheme of things) and not have the financial capacity to fly premium. God if only I had the gaul to ***** slap them across their gaunty little faces.

Old Sep 7, 2004, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA CK MM, HH Diamond, SPG Prem Plat
I've flown UA as a 1K since I was 20. The airline itself has always treated me as well as or better than other elites.

The grey haired windbags next to me in first, however, are often unbearable.
- How nice of your boyfriend to extend his first class priveleges to you! (BF in first because I was redeemed 2 F tickets to BKK for us.)
- So how do you like first class little lady?
- Did your father upgrade you?
- Let me show you how your seat works. (Meanwhile trying grope me.)

OMG. I do sometimes want to take their old wrinkled pompous faces and . . . well nevermind.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
choster enters, running, from stage left. He finds his connection already boarding and walks up to the podium.

USAirways PHL Gate Agent (impatiently): Ah sir, we're only boarding rows 15 and higher...

choster, without speaking, continues to hold out the boarding pass. USGA puzzles, perhaps wondering if choster speaks English. after a few seconds he reluctantly looks closer at the ticket and his frown becomes a scowl.

... oh, you're United Premier.

USGA hands choster the stub petulantly. choster considers apologizing for daring to fly on US "turf," instead just records it as another reason not to fly US if avoidable. exeunt.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Yeah, usually the looks are from other passengers, not from staff.

A common place for that to occur is the security line -- a lot of people looking over wondering what the heck these young guys are doing cutting them in line.

My favorite is in the Premier lines at the airport. Customers in line behind me will ask -- "Uh, this is the Premier line, for people who fly all the time. Are you sure you're the right spot" -- while gesturing at the general queue. Sometimes I have fun with it: "Premier?! What's that? Are you a Premier?" ... with a look of consternation, the other person may patronize me: "Someone that flies alot! I fly about 32,000 miles a year." ... "Whoa! 32,000 miles! Hm. Yeah. I fly about 100,000 miles a year on United, is there another line I should be in?"
Old Sep 7, 2004, 5:22 pm

Programs: US 3
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
"Uh, this is the Premier line, for people who fly all the time. Are you sure you're the right spot" -- while gesturing at the general queue. Sometimes I have fun with it: "Premier?! What's that? Are you a Premier?" ... with a look of consternation, the other person may patronize me: "Someone that flies alot! I fly about 32,000 miles a year." ... "Whoa! 32,000 miles! Hm. Yeah. I fly about 100,000 miles a year on United, is there another line I should be in?"
I have never had a problem with another customer, but just in case it happens, I'll be prepared.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:11 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
I have US SP and F9 Ascent status (I'm 19), and haven't had anything horrificly bad happen to me...the classic "double-take" when the gate agent takes my boarding pass happens quite often...also I find that the gate agent often doesn't say "Have a nice flight" or something like that when I board, but then says it to other pax who are noticeably older than me...the aforementioned stuff usually occurs when Im flying US...not really a big deal but something I have noticed...

N674UW
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:57 am

Programs: BA
I find this attitude problem of US airline staff to be surprising, as a friend who does training for BA says it is specifically covered there.

And an unusually young person in First Class is more than likely to be very well connected. Child of an ambassador, or one of the airline directors. Sports star in constant contact with the press. Internet millionaire at the age of 20. Became Lord Awfully-Frightfully at the age of 16. So someone to be treated well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.