Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Book hotels in Europe now or wait a few months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood

This is my first trip across the pond so I have a lot of learning to do.

I will be going to several cities in Europe next July (2005), and was wondering if I should book my hotels now or wait a while to see if the exchange rate improves. Will be going to FCO-VCE-AMS-LHR-CDG.
US dollar to Euro and GBP.

I do not know how or if it would even affect a rate that was booked now, or if it could save me some money in the long run, or cost me if it gets worse.
Some booking sites charge you now and some say you will be charged upon check-in.
So if I pay them now, that rate would be locked in, correct?
But if I book a certain rate now but do not pay until check-in and the exchange rate changes, what does that do to my price?

Also, just for every day expenses such as meals, shopping, cabs and subways, is it advisable just to use credit cards (AMEX and VISA where possible) as much as possible, travelers checks, or get Euros upon arrival?
Where would I get Euros if I chose to have some on hand for small stuff?
Can I get some in the US before I leave?

I do not have a clue about fees the credit card companies charge you for using their cards overseas. How does that work and how much is it?

Another thing is rail travel. Where is the best place and time to book that?
Will need travel from FCO - VCE by rail.
And Chunnel from London to Paris.
Would an exchange rate change affect that booking or not?

Any advice you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help.
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In almost all cases, if it is not a prepaid rate, there is no penalty for changing later. Book now, if the rates come down book again at the lower rate and cancel the higher priced ones. You can save hundreds of dollars by checking hotel rates.

If it is prepaid then that's a different story, but if not there is no harm to change it. It's way better then waiting too long and not getting a room.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
My first thought is, you need to consult some travel guidebooks for your bazillions of questions.

Also consult the various forums of FlyerTalk and learn how to use the search function here. You'll get a lot more out of this website if you learn how to plumb the wealth of info that already exists here.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:32 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
I would be making bookings now at rates do not require pre-payment and are fully flexible (able to be changed or cancelled later). Then keep an eye open for special deals or rate changes that are in your favor and change at will. Closer to the travel date you may find cheaper rates for the same or similar accommodation.

I like to have something locked in, and then change if I find something better. I only take pre-paid rates if I think it is an excellent deal and I am absolutely certain my travel plans won't change (yeah, like that ever happens).
Old Sep 8, 2004, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many hotels have not yet generated a 2005 rate schedule.(see Starwood).

A 5% rate change within a year is a very large change. Not enough money to really worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.