Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

do you show the FA your boarding pass when getting on the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do you show the FA your boarding pass when getting on the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I boarded an AC flight from YVR to YYZ and the FA demanded to see it even when I told him that I know my seat number. He replied that he needs to see it for security reasons, I just rolled my eyes.........
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by macska
I actually get carded when I ordered alcohol a couple of months ago on USAir.
I wish I would get carded.

Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:35 pm

I usually keep the BP in my shirt pocket so it is available. The last three years I have been flying almost entirely on miles so have lost any status I had. This makes it easy to find my seat. When the FA asks if I know where my seat is I say "hang a right, if I go out the back door I've gone too far, but not by much."
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If they are looking to see it to get me in the right row to get my seat I'll just say 10G as I get on or whatever. If it's on an airline that needs to see it for that one last check I'm on the right plane, then I'll always show it.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:02 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Like cordelli says.

Some flights even when they are checking everyone's BP the FA at the door recognises me and makes some comment like "I'm sure you know where to go"
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:18 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
on many longhaule flights they insist to see it.

My boading pass is always handy, as I myself often forget my seat number, after just having looked at it minutes before ... speaking of getting old and older ...
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I know the feeling - after a few drinks in the lounge I am lucky to turn up at the right gate without checking the monitors 2 or 3 times
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
In Europe it's a requirement on pretty much every airline that they check your boarding pass and nowadays they must physically remove it from your hand and inspect it.

In the US they rarely check, but on my last United flight leaving LAX there was a British FA checking boarding passes. She said to me "Sorry, I have to check your boarding pass". I said "Of course you do. Your British!"
I don't know which airlines you mean here, but I can say that on SK and LH it is definetly not a requirement. I can not recall showing my boarding pass even once in the last couple of years.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:40 am

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
My boarding pass hangs in a holder around my neck. There is also a spot for an ID like a driver's license, and one for a passport. It makes life so much easier for me. I used to fumble for these items. My holder does not have metal, so most of the time the screener lets me wear it when I walk through security. A lot of FA's comment on how handy it is. So far, no one has asked me to remove it when I board. Works for me.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA have always done this and SQ/CX seem to be going down the same road. In fact most of the N Amercian carriers seem to want to see my BP most of the time. My first flights on AA came as quite a shock with a bored F/A slouching in the galley rather than policing the boarding pax!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The only two airlines (on which I regularly travel) that do this are BA and BD. I assumed it was a UK airline thing. KL, OS/NG/VO, LO, LH, AF, MA, OK have never asked this of me.

Also, I was quite surprised at which part of the BP you retain in the US and Canada. Standard, over here, is that they retain the larger part of the BP (with the ticket insert - if ATB, it can be inserted, stapled or printed over, depending on the airline) and you retain the stub only. This has a slit or a hole for hangers. As it's credit card sized, it's quite convenient to keep hold of...
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well I've flown over 20 segments with AF (and their subsidiaries) this year and on each and every flight I had to give them my boarding pass. That includes todays regional LYS-NCE flight. As others have noted each BA flight requires this. I've only done a few LH and SK flights earlier this year and don't really recall if they asked for the card. SK is pretty laid back, but on LH it depends on the flight. I've done a bunch on AZ too this year and they also asked for the BP. IB and JK have asked for it except on domestic flights.

Last edited by stimpy; Aug 25, 2004 at 7:04 am
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I think it's a CAA requirement

I think I saw a thread on PPRuNE some time ago about this and that it was a CAA (UK) requirement that BPs are checked when boarding the aircraft. There was some discussion that BD were only doing this at the top of the airbridge and not on the aircraft - two weeks later BD were checking on boarding the aircraft!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: SSSS Preferred, UA 1K
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I think I saw a thread on PPRuNE some time ago about this and that it was a CAA (UK) requirement that BPs are checked when boarding the aircraft. There was some discussion that BD were only doing this at the top of the airbridge and not on the aircraft - two weeks later BD were checking on boarding the aircraft!
Flying SFO-YUL last week on Air Canada, at the gate, the GA looked at the names on the BP's, checked them off a list, and passed the BP back.

At the door of the plane, the FA requested the BP, detached the stub, and gave the passengers back the large portion.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: BA
Yes, even Easyjet always do it but it's hit and miss with Ryanair. Given that Easyjet are UK-registered aircraft and Air Operators Certificate, and Ryanair are on the Irish register, I can believe it's something from the UK CAA.

Actually it makes more sense to do it there than anywhere beforehand. It would make even more sense if they put a sign up "Please show BP as you enter aircraft".

I believe Aviatrix (above) lives near a Ryanair hub which may account for the relative lack of experience in having them checked in this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.