Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guam - Hilton, Marriott, or Westin?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2004, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Guam - Hilton, Marriott, or Westin?

I am stoping over 1 night in Guam on my way to Bali and I need some advice on hotels. I have points in Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood and all 3 have properties there and have award availability for the night that I need. I can get the following:
A) Marriott Guam Resort & Spa for 10,000 Marriott Rewards points. It is a category 3 hotel and it is normally 15,000 points for the night, but it is on the PointSaver list for the summer. (The lowest rate if I was to pay cash is $143/night at Marriott.com) Website: http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=GUMRT

B) Hilton Guam - for 25,000 Hilton HHonors points as a category 3 hotel. (The lowest rate if I was to pay cash is $90/night at Hilton.com) Website: http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=GUMHITW

C) Westin Resort Guam - for 7,000 SPG points, it is a category 3 hotel. (The lowest rate if I was to pay cash if $190/night at Westin.com) Website: http://www.starwood.com/westin/searc...ropertyID=1057

So, my questions are:
1) Which is the 'best value' as far as points? (ie: 10,000 Marriott Points versus 25,000 HHonors Points versus 7,000 SPG points)

2) Which is the nicest hotel and we would enjoy the most?
Thank you for your help, fellow FlyerTalkers!

p.s. - Point #2 above is my most important consideration, but if the hotels are somewhat equal as far as quality, amenities, pools, ambiance, etc, then saving some points would be important as well.

Last edited by steve100; May 28, 2004 at 1:58 pm
Old May 27, 2004, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I've never been to the Guam Marriott.

The Westin is near the north end of Tumon Bay, is a single tower with a hollow core, appearing from overhead like two crescent moons pressed together, or an oval with points at each end, or an ancient Chamorro sling stone (the outline of which is the shape of the Official Seal depicted on the territorial flag). It has a nice pool and seems very luxurious, and is newer than the Hilton, with probably a higher percentage of Japanese tourists.

The Hilton is at the south end of Tumon Bay, on a considerably larger property, and has very good restaurants. I've never been in the pool, but it looks good, and there are waterslides. It is a lot closer to downtown, next to a park, and if I didn't have to stay at a Westin annually to keep my Starpoints alive, I'd probably stay at the Hilton all the time.

I'd say your best bet, though, would be to do a search of the word "Guam" in the three relevant Flyer Talk hotel forums, and make your decision based on the wider level of input available there.

Sorry, I know nothing about the relative value of their points.

You may also want to view the descriptions of the hotels at their respective websites, keeping in mind that some of them consider the U.S. territory to be a foreign country for marketing purposes.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 27, 2004 at 9:03 pm Reason: add final sentence.
Old May 27, 2004, 9:54 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Hilton would be my choice - but then I don't know the other properties. Even tho remodeled - it seems a little dated to me... w white bamboo style funiture in the last room I stayed in. (Yuck!). But I still like the GUM Hilton! Especially the pool and open air bar. Can be VERY busy, noisy... and packed w Japanese tourists. It's close and convenient to the airport and they have transportation 4free.

A search in the Hilton Forum should bring up a lot of info re the Guam Hilton. It's been covered there many times.

Last edited by tvl4free; May 29, 2004 at 4:45 pm
Old May 27, 2004, 11:32 pm

Hilton GUM

I have stayed there on a point stretcher award and was given a terrific room overlooking the bay. The one problem with that side is that there is a public park, lots of people hanging out playing loud music until around midnight. After that, I watched some drug deals going on. Harmless people.

I was HH Gold and had free breakfast, which was the most elaborate spread I have ever seen. They also had a section with a full Japanese breakfast. They also gave me four drink coupons for my friend and myself. Really enjoyed sitting outside by the bar and watching the stars at night.

I would not hesitate to stay there again, it's a quick drive to the airport. But I would pay the $90 rather than spend the 25,000 miles.
Old May 28, 2004, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Hilton is great but isolated. Westin is my choice bigger rooms better location. Hyatt and Outrigger are the best properties on the island. Have been to the Marriott.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Does anybody else have additional info not posted here? I was leaning towards the Marriott since the points seem to be the best value here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.