Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did'nt Want To Change Seats In First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
Not quite sure what you're getting at here -- are you saying that more people should be working in business class?
</font>
I don't work either, I just want to relax and sit more comfortably. I was just answering to fredmartens who was saying "It's called business class or first class for a reason -not preschool class)."
implying more or less that people were there to work or be under adults. I was also reacting to a legend that I always here about business class being a working place for "executives". I just wanted to say that no much work was being done in business...
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
(2) Kids have the same right to fly F/J as anyone else. Usually the loudest, most obnoxious misbehaving passengers are adults anyway.</font>
Agreed. Children I've been near in F have been, with zero exceptions, well-behaved, fun to talk with if the seating arrangements permitted, and no annoyance at all. Far from the loud, arrogant business types - who are usually the first to complain about the kids!
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:51 pm

My husband and I always ask politely for others to do us the favor of switching seats to allow us to sit together. People are nearly always willing to accomodate us in some way. I have often offered to switch seats to resolve similar dilemmas for other families. I am hearing from the board that it's mostly a bad attitude on the part of the asker that ticks people off.

The argument that, "You should have arranged your seat assignments in advance" doesn't hold water. Obviously, everyone who travels with a companion has tried and failed to get a seat assignment together once in a while. Last month my husband and I flew USAir's first class to New Orleans. We had arranged our 2A and 2B seats months in advance, but USAir informed us at the gate that 2B had been given away to a government employee (I think that means air marshal). USAir said, "Too bad for you." In this instance, generous passengers were willing to switch seats to let us sit together, but the air marshal stayed put.

Once after being delayed 36 hours in a typical weather/connections snafu, we got the last two standby seats on a 5 hour Continental flight. These empty seats were 31 B and 31 E. The holders of 31C and 31D were a married couple and they refused to switch! Each refused in no uncertain terms to sit next to his spouse. Since the window seat holders in row 31 were also unwilling to switch, we were stuck and couldn't enjoy our time together. But at least I'm not married to someone I can't even sit next to!

Lastly, to the person who spoke condescendingly about married couples who insist on sitting together: You do not know that couple's situation. My husband is a surgeon working 120 hrs a week, and I am finishing a doctorate in a city 500 miles away. When we plan a vacation together, that time is precious. It's sad when we beleaguered travelers refuse to help each other generously.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GradGirl:
...we got the last two standby seats on a 5 hour Continental flight. These empty seats were 31 B and 31 E. The holders of 31C and 31D were a married couple and they refused to switch!</font>
Let me be among the first to welcome you to FlyerTalk!

I'm guessing you were assigned the middle seats and the couple you asked had the aisle seats in row 31.

To be honest I wouldn't switch from an aisle seat to a middle seat on a 5 hour flight either. It isn't that unusual for traveling companions to sit across from each other on the aisle in C/D. My son and I do it quite often when we fly coach, as he makes frequent lavatory runs (a byproduct of chatting up the F/As and getting unlimited sodas while Dad snoozes) and my 6'4" frame fits better in an aisle seat.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:43 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have to agree with El Cochinito on this, I would almost NEVER give up an aisle seat for a middle seat... heck, I won't even give my partner the aisle seat....

Again, while I understand how tough it can sometimes be to get the seating you want, sometimes that is what happens. People who believe I should give up my seat just because they want it had better have a nice attitude.

I do work hard to get the seats I want... for example, I just cleared an upgrade today for JFK-SFO on Saturday. But no seat. I called after checking online and finding out there was one aisle seat... and I grabbed it. Now, the window beside me is empty... sure there will be a good chance a couple gets upgraded into first... lots of window seats available... but I hope I do not get asked to give up my aisle seat... I do not like window seats... even in first. I like to get up and stretch.

William
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Sorry but add me to the list of No aisle for a middle

Not a chance in switching and aisle for a middle regardless the flight length but on a five hour flight.. I'd think the requester was NUTS for even asking...

I look daily at my seat availability to attempt to get the seat I want. I continously switch to better seating assignments if they become available. Once I get that seat.. barring a forced move by the airline.. I'm not switching to a center assingment. Another aisle, maybe as long as its not row 10 aisle for row 44 aisle or exit for non exit.

If its a equal switch.. no biggie.. please just ask before I get all comfy. I'm much more likely to switch then.

On the other topic of kids.. and this doesn't only apply to airplanes.. doesn't only apply to F or J or Y.. but to anything..

Why is it that EVERYONE says their kid is the greatest, NEVER causes a problem.. under this notion.. there never has been a problem anywhere that was caused by a child.. and all kids can't be the greatest.. can they????
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
Why is it that EVERYONE says their kid is the greatest, NEVER causes a problem.. under this notion.. there never has been a problem anywhere that was caused by a child.. and all kids can't be the greatest.. can they???? </font>
Only true in Lake Wobegon. Where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking and all the children are above average.

Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sobay_terp:
I would've countered with a suggestion that the clod in 1B go talk to the guy in 6F or whatever. </font>
Exactly I am sure that the person in 6F would not have minded moving to the front.

I will sit apart from my party before I will ask someone if they will move.

Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
The next time I fly F, and ask all of you to move back to E+, would you please kindly accomdate my request so I can sleep in peace!!!

Old Mar 4, 2004, 4:28 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
The next time I fly F, and ask all of you to move back to E+, would you please kindly accomdate my request so I can sleep in peace!!!

</font>
Do you promise NOT to snore?
Old Mar 4, 2004, 4:38 pm

OK, first off, a ranting retort to this BS about those who don't want kids in FC or C must be arrogant biz types. Guess again. I'm a self employed business owner that started with nothing. I've been broke twice and know what it's all about to have to fly in nothing but WN cattle. Thank God and with several years of sacrifices, I can fly up front virtually all the time now. I am extremely lucky for that, and I count my blessings every day. I don't feel as if I "deserve it", but I sure's he!! have earned it.

After over 1.5mm butt-in-seat miles, I'll reveal my secret decoder ring findings, FWIW: IMHO, babies and irresponsibly raised kids are a pain in the a$$ and should not be up front. Period. It's my own opinion, I'm fully responsible for it, stand by it, and don't have the arrogance to think that airlines should adopt that policy. It's just what I'd prefer based on what I've experienced.

The ratio of pain in the a$$ kids to adults is about 100 to one against the kids. F and C are supposed to be an environment elevated (read a higher class of service, not Gymboree) and apart from Y, which is why 99% of us are there in the first place...for the ability to read, work, chat, listen to tunes with the headphones on, watch a movie, or sleep in peace; I spend an average of 8-12 hours a week on a plane. That's my choice.

It's your choice that you decided to have kids. Don't make the rest of us suffer for your own indulgences and choices. Yes. Kids are wonderful, but they are NOT welcome everywhere. Same goes for those of you "couples" that work "100-120 hours a week and live 500 miles apart" in pursuit of your careers (amazing, since there's only 168 to begin with), again, that's your choice, how you choose to live your life. If those of us flying solo CHOOSE not to move to accommodate you, so be it. We have a right to sit where we picked our seat(s) as well. This sense of enitlement with you people amazes that absolute sh!& outta me.

If you're going to have the stones to bring your offspring up into a higher class of service, at least have the common decency to have them behave like adults while they're there. I don't like loud boorish adults up front anymore than anyone else does, and I've seen several, but the majority of the disruptions up front are caused by unruly, undisciplined kids and screaming babies.

OK, rant off. Have a nice day.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
right on fredmartens, right on.

------------------
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:44 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Strong stuff Sr. martens but you do speak much truth. Don your suit and activate shields now as there will probably be lots of incoming.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
That's real funny reading about people's posts trying to dictate who should be allowed in any part of an aircraft. The last time I looked, all seats on any a/c are up for sale and no one can be discriminated against. My kids have flown in FC for years and, usually, the only person who gets cranky is the FA because they love unlimited snacks and drinks. Most of the children that are not behaving in a civilized manner are a pure reflection of their parents. A child that misbehaves on an a/c, usually doesn't spend that much time with one or more of their parents and they are showing the world what they can get away with. But I can tell you one thing, if I have the cash, the upgrades or the miles I'll spend them anyway I feel like without regards to anyone else. That's just the way it is. Like it or lump it.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
If you're going to have the stones to bring your offspring up into a higher class of service, at least have the common decency to have them behave like adults while they're there.</font>
I have a chat with my 8-year-old son about expected behavior before we board any flight, regardless of class. Kevin knows if he acts up, his upgrade privileges are gone (believe me, this is a great incentive at least with him).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.