Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best place in Asia to buy designer handbags, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I can't believe I am actually asking this question, but here it goes

I did a survey of Tiffany product prices last year and found that the prices were about the same as the USA MSRP, although if factored in the VAT rebate, Singapore was slightly cheaper. But this was before the dollar kept weakening.

Anyway, was wondering what the conventional wisdom was for luxury good brands like LVMH, Hermes, etc.

Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends on whether you want genuine or faux designer brands. I think Hong Kong is the best place for the real stuff because it's duty free. You can also take the train to nearby ShenZheng to check out the fakes.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:24 am

Leaving the US for deals on luxury goods is overrated, I think -- and this is even more true after the dollar's weakening, and if you include issues such as customs and travel costs. There are reliable gray-market US-based sources for most luxury items. What are you looking for specifically?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Pynchonesque,
Look for real Hermes and other Luxury handbags.
YGM.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:42 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Shenzhen, definitely for fakes. Just check the quality. Much of it is vry good. I saw a couple of US women playing good cop/bad cop on the 6th floor of the Lo Wu department store and had the price of a "Gucci" bag down to $7 US as they were walking out the door.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Hong Kong is also good for very good quality fakes. Any open market stall that has catalogs of the real stuff on tables will have some very good fakes in the "back room". All you have to say is that you are interested and one of the stall attendents will take you to some apartment very nearby where you could look at watches and ladies bags. I bought a beautiful Louis Vuitton bag for a lady friend and she as well as her friends were convinced it was the real thing.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
The quality of Chinese fakes is suprisingly good. I bought a "Rolex" in Shenzhen and its still working fine.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:20 pm

For Hermes, I recently read an article about (surprise!) Duty Free Shops. Bags that have waiting lists in traditional shops can be found at Duty Free shops. I think I read this in the WSJ a few weeks back. They found some rare Kelly bags at a Hawaiian Duty Free, so maybe give this a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.