Wiki Posts
Search

Regional jets...ugh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, HHonors
Regional jets...ugh

As an aspiring airline pilot, I'm not usually inclined to bash the airlines for any reason. But an experience last Saturday has brought a frustration to the surface. Apparently American Airlines feels that flying a regional jet between Cincinnati and Miami is reasonable. That was the most uncomfortable 2 1/2 hours of life (barring the wisdom teeth experience). I would rather have had to connect in Dallas or Chicago O'Hare even! I was trying to read the Cincinnati Enquirer and I couldn't turn the page without infringing on my neighbor's space. Unfortunately, this regional jet trend is becoming commonplace at many carriers. For instance, next weekend, I'm flying from Columbus, OH to Orlando on Delta, and once again, I'll be trying to fold my paper without bumping my neighbor's arm on the Embraer 135 RJ.

Now before anyone starts bashing me about how high airfares would be if regional jets didn't exist, I know, you're right, they would be. If there are American-lovers in here, I'm not bashing only your carrier. I'm a loyal Delta SkyMiles member and they use regional jets extensively as well. The point here is not to degrade the airlines, but to open up a forum, because to be honest, I'm interested in other regional jets routes that are WAY to long. So if you've flown any, post them, let me know. And in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my trip BACK FROM Orlando, when I'll be on a 767 and a 757, respectively through Atlanta-thank goodness.
Dave
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Solution: Book flights on an airline or routes not using regional jets.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 1:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
LGW-BUD in an F70 with huge seat recline. That's 2h30, and very uncomfortable.

On the other hand, I've flown WAW-FRA in an ER4, which was a delightful journey (LOT have an excellent ERJ product).
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:59 am

Programs: AA - Plt; CO - Silver
Agree with your comments on regional jets. I avoid them at all costs. Either I'll drive, or I'll accept a route that doesn't include rj's. Even if the route is less convenient.

------------------
cuguy
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was on a CRJ from ATL to ISP last weekend and found it to be quite comfortable (leather window seat) compared with the middle seat of an MD80 I sat in from PHX to ATL. I think it's all relative.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Actaully, RJs help to hold fares up, they don't reduce them.

The larger airplanes have a lot of seats that need to be sold. When supply increases, price decreases. By reducing the number of seats available they are reducing the number of seats which will have to be sold at discounted fares.

On MIA-CVG, chances are that without the RJ service there wouldn't be any non-stop AA service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.