Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

they want prepayment: have you ever dealt with Hotel Akumalcaribe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Website is http://www.hotelakumalcaribe.com/

They want prepayment and don't take credit cards.

What do you think?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

just to clarify...I am asking two questions here: have you prepaid for resort accomodations, and if so, how did it pan out? (Why don't they take credit cards anyway?)

And secondarily, have you experience with this particular resort. I phrased the topic poorly.

Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Orbitz has a number of "special" non-refundable rates that require prepayment. My hotel in Kona was prepaid.

Starwood has non-refundable rates on their website. I don't know when they take the money.

Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The "no credit cards" bit bothers me, as I feel I have more recourse if I prepay on a credit card
Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:27 am

I myself would avoid any place that won't take a card. Not a lot of choices for recourse if a problem arises. I have prepaid before but it was with SPG or Hilton where I knew what I was getting.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
You know, this is the norm for small guesthouses in Europe, but somehow it seems out of place for a beach resort - like there's something they're trying to hide. While I'd look forward to the experience in Europe something's telling me that this particular case is more risky. But I have no experience with the hotel.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Zero percent chance that I would prepay with something other than a credit card for a hotel with which I was unfamiliar.

I might consider prepayment, and have done so to get good rates via SPG, Priceline, Expedia Special Rates, etc.

I might consider using cash, and have done so walking up at European guest houses/B&B's without a reservation.

But I wouldn't Paypal someone a CASH prepayment unless I knew the B&B very well.

[This message has been edited by pinniped (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

richard,

I did a quick search using Google Groups and the comments about Akumal Caribe look fairly positive.

Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:11 pm

In europe this is common in the peak season. Even in some of the most expensive places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.