Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which credit card provides best rental car insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which credit card provides best rental car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:48 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Second best is Amex but they do not provide any converage in some places Italy, Ireland and Jamaica to name a few.
mike
</font>
I'm planning to rent a car in Italy, and never would have thought that my AMEX wouldn't cover me there. I guess this goes to show that you really do have to read your credit card's brochure of rules and regulations.

I wonder if this (AMEX not covering rentals in Italy) is related to what appears to be a mandatory theft protection fee (on least on the quotes I'm getting) on rentals in Italy?

[edited to correct a typo]

[This message has been edited by DoubleJ (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
Old Feb 29, 2004, 6:48 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Diners Club DOES NOT COVER NEW YORK RESIDENTS!!!!! This is important information.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 7:37 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DoubleJ:

I wonder if this (AMEX not covering rentals in Italy) is related to what appears to be a mandatory theft protection fee (on least on the quotes I'm getting) on rentals in Italy?

[edited to correct a typo]

[This message has been edited by DoubleJ (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
</font>
Actually it probably has to do with the way Italians drive ( some visitors' reaction to the way Italians drive) and having driven in all three countries listed above I can see to some extent why Amex might be reluctant to provide coverage.
mike

Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
American Express Centurion Card, although the insurance guide has 70+ pages of fine print. Most countries are covered. 250EUR is all you would have to pay in the worst case.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 4:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marysunshine:
Diners Club DOES NOT COVER NEW YORK RESIDENTS!!!!! This is important information.</font>
Might I ask where you got this information? Although NYS law is somewhat convoluted, I believe the limitation only extends such that any credit card insurance provided is secondary coverage (i.e. your own insurance company must pay first, if you have one).

For instance, the Diners Club insurance terms/conditions notes that for New York State residents, "Rental Car Collission/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance (CDW) coverage be limited to excess (or secondary) coverage." (T&C available on their website)
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Is DC Diners club? where did did you hear (incorrectly if so) that Diners club has dropped primary coverage?
mike
</font>
Diners Club (DC) is correct and you are correct in they provide primary collision insurance in most if not all USA etc. I had problems in Mexico (2x) in having DC accepted there for collision insurance, ditto for Colombia and Ireland and I think Brazil (it once was great in S America). My company provided liability insurance coverage via a listed provider but not collision.

With the reduced accemptance of DC, the cost of DC and lessened benefits of DC I decided top drop after 10+ years. Also my company began providing corporate AMEX cards and refused to pick up the tab for my DC.

MisterNice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.