Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Flight Delay is OK" - Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2004, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
"Flight Delay is OK" - Insurance?

I ran across a banner ad for Flight Delay is OK and was intrigued. At first this sounded like the old Biztravel.com guarantee of on-time arrival. These folks claim that for $7.99 per flight they'll pay you $50 to $150 if your flight is delayed.

The interesting thing is that nowhere on their site is the word "arrival" listed. It's been my experience that arrival delays (delays encountered after departure) are much more common than departure delays. Thus, it's not clear to me that this is really a good bet to be taking. Has anyone used these folks?
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:04 am

Noticed this myself, and can't help thinking I would have better odds at the roulette table than predicting a delayed departure. I did think for a minute this would be a great way to get rich quick, i.e. go to ORD on a summer Friday afternoon and let the storms role in- but then I read the T&C...
https://www.flightdelayisok.com/html.../register.html
Old Jan 9, 2004, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Doesn't delayed departure just mean delayed pullback from the gate?

So it wouldn't cover the flight that pulls back, sits on the tarmac an hour or two or more (perhaps waiting its turn on the de-icer), and finally takes off.

Kathy
Old Jan 9, 2004, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/012609.html
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BizTravel.com used to have a guarantee for arrivales. I used it back in the peak delay days - around 1999, exclusively to buy tickets from LGA-ROC.

I took several such trips and received between $50-full ticket value back each time, as that flight was delayed every time I took it.

Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, they went under.

d
Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couple other things:'

BizTravel used to process claims immediately and over the phone - just call them from your cell when you get off the plane and they'll have you taken care of before you reach baggage claim. Checks come a couple days later.

This Flight Delay is OK thing wants you to mail in copies of your original boarding passes (takes a few days), then wait up to two weeks for your claim to be processed. Kind of a hassle and it takes a while.

And being based on departure time is stupid, IMO.

d
Old Jan 11, 2004, 9:05 am

[This message has been edited by Shtirlits (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Feb 2, 2004, 1:19 pm

For those interested in www.flightdelayisok.com, please note that there were a number of policy changes implemented recently, such as looking at Arrival times rather than Departure times, addition of a Free Trial, etc.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:20 pm

Why would you care about departure time? If a flight is scheduled to arrive at 3:00pm, and it does so, I don't care if it departs on time or ten minutes late.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 8:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Looks interesting, but what about connecting flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.