Reload this Page >

London Tube Travelcards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Tube Travelcards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:16 pm

Agree with stut about it not being obvious, but there was a Tube agent near the machines who helped all who needed it.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
If you plan on vising London again, the Oystercard may be the way to go. I visit London from time to time on business and I love the ease of use and of course the cheaper prices. Note that there is a 3 pound deposit though. If you are not planning on returning, it may not be worth the trouble. </font>
I believe a UK bank account is necessary for the Oyster card.

Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:19 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parra:
I believe a UK bank account is necessary for the Oyster card.
</font>
Not at all. You need money and an address. If you get a pre-pay card, they 'like' you to get a photocard too, but don't insist on it (particularly if you have a foreign accent).

You can charge it using cash, any credit or debit card, or UK cheque at a counter.

They give good discounts on single fares, too (bigger discounts at weekends...)

The pre-pay cards are good for occasional journeys, but are currently only valid on Tube and DLR. And if you're a tourist in London, I thoroughly recommend using the buses - they're easy, and a good way to see the city to boot. If I'm going around town, I always use them.

However, from April, they will be accepted on buses (70p fare instead of £1). Plus, they will introduce 'fare capping'. If you make the number of journeys for a particular travelcard to be the cheapest option, this will automatically be the highest amount you are charged.

There's a few glitches in the system, but I like it lots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.