Reload this Page >

London Tube Travelcards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Tube Travelcards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2004, 6:16 pm

Agree with stut about it not being obvious, but there was a Tube agent near the machines who helped all who needed it.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 4:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
If you plan on vising London again, the Oystercard may be the way to go. I visit London from time to time on business and I love the ease of use and of course the cheaper prices. Note that there is a 3 pound deposit though. If you are not planning on returning, it may not be worth the trouble. </font>
I believe a UK bank account is necessary for the Oyster card.

Old Jan 30, 2004, 5:19 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by parra:
I believe a UK bank account is necessary for the Oyster card.
</font>
Not at all. You need money and an address. If you get a pre-pay card, they 'like' you to get a photocard too, but don't insist on it (particularly if you have a foreign accent).

You can charge it using cash, any credit or debit card, or UK cheque at a counter.

They give good discounts on single fares, too (bigger discounts at weekends...)

The pre-pay cards are good for occasional journeys, but are currently only valid on Tube and DLR. And if you're a tourist in London, I thoroughly recommend using the buses - they're easy, and a good way to see the city to boot. If I'm going around town, I always use them.

However, from April, they will be accepted on buses (70p fare instead of Ł1). Plus, they will introduce 'fare capping'. If you make the number of journeys for a particular travelcard to be the cheapest option, this will automatically be the highest amount you are charged.

There's a few glitches in the system, but I like it lots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.