Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maze of Classes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Maze of Classes

I've seen some references in various threads to being able to shop for specific airline "letter" (eg M,DL, etc) cabin classes. Is there a site or table available that shows the class codes by airline? How does one go about comparison shopping for class fares at various airlines?

------------------
Cheers,
Greg
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:12 pm

Star Alliance airlines are detailed here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/001451.html

You may find references to an airline in their particular forum
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We may be looking at two different sets of "classes" here.

1. Cabin class - most mainline airplanes have two or three classes; coach, [business], and first. The normal designator for coach class is Y. Business class is commonly C or J. First class is almost universally F.

Besides this, there are subclasses, like Z class may be a First Class seat on an award ticket and things like that.

2. The second class type is fare class. This is somewhat loosely coupled to the cabin class, in that a full-fare Y tickets will generally have a fare class of "Y"; similar with business and first.

However, there are a myriad of other ticket class available, usually reflecting different fares, restrictions, etc., and usually all resulting in a seat in coach.

Thus, we find USAir has classes M,H,K,V, and probably a bunch of others. They are often (but not always) different prices and with different restrictions (Saturday night stay, 7 or 21 day advance purchase, upgradeable or not, etc.). It's this type of class profusion which leads to a lot of customer confusion.

And if I'm not mistaken you're probably a bit confused at this point, too.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
They are very complex. This thread below SOLELY looks at United fare classes ... A-Z and it is 3 pages long already.

All major airlines have a complex list just as long. You have not told us WHICH airline you are looking at.

<A HREF="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/014576.html" TARGET=_blank> Click for a detailed compilation - listing and outlining all known UA revenue/award/upgrade booking codes "A - Z" (and details and validity of many UA Upgrade Certificates) and how to access and view them on www.ual.com </A>

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

This has been very helpful. Thank you. I'm supposing that the other airlines have equally complex code structures but less friendly web sites than UA. Since I mostly fly UA, it has been an eye-opener and will really help me with my web site transactions.

------------------
Cheers,
Greg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.