Wiki Posts
Search

Been to Pro Bowl before?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Been to Pro Bowl before?

I posted this question in the 'Hawaii' forum, but didn't get much of a response....so I thought I'd post the question here too.

I just wanted to see if anyone had been to the pro bowl before in Honlulu and had suggestions for someone going for the first time (first time to Hawaii too). Was there anything you wish you would have done but were unable to because you didn't book it beforehand? Anything you did that you really enjoyed and would recommend to someone else? Any recommendations in general for things to do in Honolulu?

Muchas Gracias!
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My first trip to Hawaii was to Waikiki and happened to coincide with the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl. This was about 13 years ago and I remember seeing Mike Singletary having lunch with his wife at the Sheraton. I met some great people just hitting the bars in Waikiki and ended up going to the game with some locals.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 8:42 am
cervisiam

i sent this email to another FTer. i spent a summer in hawaii and it was so much fun! you will love it there (sorry for the formatting!)
-------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 10:41 AM
Subject: suggestions for hawaii

Hi,
I am assuming you will have a car, since most of the places I suggest you
should drive to--although Oahu has a great bus system.

Since you staying in Waikiki, it is very convenient to go to the beach right there. However, I found much nicer beaches along the Windward Side (east coast). Lanikai is my favorite beach of all time--it is fairly quiet, and the sand is so soft. It is a very calm beach as well. Kailua Beach is also right next to it. It is about a 40 minute drive away from Waikiki.

You should also snorkel at Hanauma Bay--they are closed on Tuesday. Go early to secure a parking spot--and PLEASE dont forget to put sunscreen on your back and butt. I got burned because I forgot my butt! you can rent snorkeling gear there.

For any beach you go to, you can buy cheap straw mats at local stores. Much better than a towel because sand doesn't stick to it, and it dries more quickly. You can also buy floats/tires there as well--and can leave them in case you don't want to drag them back to the US.

As far as food is concerned, definitely try the local cuisine--Zippy's is the local chain where you can get a plate lunch--entree (like teriyaki chicken or chicken katsu) with two scoops rice and macaroni salad. their chili is really famous too. Another local chain is L&L but I like Zippy's better. Another place I liked was Ninniku-ya Garlic restaurant. i am a huge garlic freak, and everything on their menu has Garlic in it--including their ice cream. My FAVORITE restaurant, though, was Alan Wong's--a little expensive but it is one of the best restaurants on the island. Their hot California roll is amazing--instead of rice, they fill it with lobster mousse.

Todai is a buffet place in Waikiki (the western part) and it has an amazing
selection of sushi and seafood. I don't like buffets so much since I always want to get my money's worth :P--but if you want to stuff yourself one night(or day--if you go for lunch), go there

I would also venture up to the North Shore--Matsumoto's is well known for its shave ice--similar to a snow cone but it's of higher quality definitely get it w/ azuki beans (red beans) and coconut milk. I also can't forget to mention malassadas--which are Portugese donuts. You can get them at Leonard's, about a 5 minutes drive from Waikiki.

There is a Kodak Hula Show every T,W, and R in Waikiki which you might enjoy. Since I was always working, I wasn't able to see this show. For more culture, you might enjoy heading up to PCC--Polynesian Culture Center--which gives visitors a glimpse of the cultures of the South Pacific--American
Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, etc. Most of the employees are students at BYU--yes
there are Mormons in Hawaii! I've heard that it may not be worth it to go there for the whole day (I think it is like 60+ minimum a person)--I went there just to see the evening performance (dances) and it was awesome!

For buying gifts, Aloha Stadium has the swap meet/flea market every W, S,
and S. You can get aloha shirts, puka shell necklaces, even produce
there--I like going there much better than buying stuff in Waikiki. It's
tons of fun. Admission is 50 cents a person, and be warned: BRING WATER AND WEAR SUNSCREEN. you are going to be outside in the hot sun with not much shade!

If you like shopping go to Ala Moana Center, I think it is one of the largest open air malls in the United States.

There is a Dole Pineapple Plantation on the western side--it takes about an hour to drive to. They have a pineapple maze, and it's pretty cool to see all the different varieties of pineapples that Dole produces. Also don't forget Pearl Harbor--go early so you don't have to wait so long. (They let in a certain number of people per time slot--first come first serve)

Last thing: I would suggest doing the whole circle island drive--there are many places to stop along the way, and you get to see all the different towns along the way.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions
-----------------------

[This message has been edited by cervisiam (edited 01-17-2003).]

Old Jan 17, 2003, 8:51 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
When I lived in Hawaii (5 yrs ago) the players and families were housed at the Ihilani Resort out past Ewa Beach. The beach out there was a great place to see some famous names during the week before the game.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Thanks for all the great info. I'll definitely use your tips when I go.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 5:46 pm

The game is a groaner, but the parties are fun.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL, UA, WN
I have been to two Pro Bowls. One in 1991 the other 1993. Fun to watch, but not the same as a real game. A few things I would add to the earlier suggestions are: Hike to the top of Diamond Head. If you have a car drive to the Makiki heights area and follow tantalus drive up the mountain. There are a lot of places to park and enjoy the view of the city. An hour before sunset would give you enough time to drive the loop and pick a spot to watch the sunset/see the city lights. Another good hike would be sacred falls near Punalu'u on the northeast side of the island. Take the pali highway from Honolulu to Kailua and pull off after going through the tunnel for an excellent view of the east side of the island. Check out the north shore area if you like big waves and surfing. I'm sure there are many more things worth doing, but that is all I can think of right now.

Dan
Old Jan 19, 2003, 2:06 am

If you look at the official web site, they have several events. In the days before the game, they will have the NFL Experience at Fort Derussy park, and before the game there's an official NFL Tailgate Party in a park accross the street from the Aloha Bowl. The tailgate party is expensive, but it might be fun.

-David
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Does anyone have any more Pro Bowl or Hawaii related suggestions?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The parking at Aloha Stadium is limited and the traffic in the surrounding area can be brutal before the game so plan accordingly. It's gotten better as they have moved the game back later in the day. The first few years the Pro Bowl was in Hawai`i, it was a very hot ticket and I remember spending close to two hours waiting on to get into the parking lot. My last Pro Bowl was in 1998 and I think it only took us 30 minutes, tops.

I'm sorry that I didn't see the original post in the Hawai`i forum, but I would encourage any questions/discussion of things to do in Hawai`i be conducted there, as we have a very active and friendly group there (and a search will yield a treasure of results)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.