Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should Priceline have a loyalty program with tiers, etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2004, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Here's my thing - I've abandoned hotel programs out of sheer laziness and frugality. I must use Priceline 15 times a year for hotels. So I guess the question begs to be asked - why doesn't Priceline have a loyalty program? If I got "Priceline Points" towards a stay, I'd be mega happy.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Possible explanation: Lack of a competitor using the exact same opaque methodology?

(Hotwire uses a different opaque formula and is generally more expensive).
Old Jan 25, 2004, 8:56 pm

Savings of 50-75% off rack rate are pretty impressive in terms of building my loyalty. If they instituted such a program it would have to be paid for by raising the service fees.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:02 am

Well, they could also send you a box of chocolates every time you used them. Sadly, there is no competitive pressure for them to do so, and I prefer lower prices to freebies; TANSTAAFL.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pynchonesque:
TANSTAAFL.</font>
True...but for certain hotel zones and travel situations, Priceline is pretty dang close as it is today!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
I think the priceline reflects the epitome of whatever the opposite of loyalty is. As such, any loyalty program would be entirely self defeating.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:03 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
I think the priceline reflects the epitome of whatever the opposite of loyalty is. As such, any loyalty program would be entirely self defeating.</font>
Perfectly stated.

Old Jan 26, 2004, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
I think the priceline reflects the epitome of whatever the opposite of loyalty is. As such, any loyalty program would be entirely self defeating.</font>
While Priceline may reflect the epitome of disloyalty toward a particular hotel or hotel chain, that doesn't mean that Priceline users are disloyal to Priceline itself. I, like DisgruntledGoat, use Priceline for most of my leisure hotel bookings (probably 90+ percent of the time in my case). Am I loyal to a particular hotel or hotel chain? Absolutely not. Am I loyal to Priceline? Very.

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cAAl:
Am I loyal to Priceline? Very.</font>
And they repay that loyalty by giving you a mechanism to save a bundle on your hotel stays.

Old Jan 26, 2004, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WillTravel:
Savings of 50-75% off rack rate are pretty impressive in terms of building my loyalty. </font>
that's my loyalty program right there.

[This message has been edited by civicmon (edited Jan 26, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.