Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Brazil arrests American Airlines pilot over obscene gesture during security check

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brazil arrests American Airlines pilot over obscene gesture during security check

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:02 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
This was a joke question right?

Well I am not wearing rose coloured glasses as some Americans reading this may be.

If I did the same thing after my insane THREE HOUR WAIT at Dulles last week there would be more than a fine. There would have been cuffs, FBI, TSA, Special Forces and the Marines 'helping' drag me away you can bet. A whole squadron of them.

Not long ago a few shaved head goons in jungle camouflage greens would have been be pointing a loaded M-16 assault rifle in either ear just to be sure.

Think about it.

Brazil is simply doing what the US chooses to do with impunity to anyone that the Americans deem to be the slightest bit suspicious or a "risk". And when they look in the mirror they do not like what they see.

Make an obvious light hearted joke about a hand grenade in your carry on and be prepared to spend the next 24 hours tied to a chair with bright lights in your eyes etc.

The US are so busy looking at telling OTHERS how to run their security (Rod Eddington has said BA had TWENTY TWO different US agencies demanding their pax manifests on the much publicised cancelled LHR-IAD flights!) that they let folks walk thru the same Dulles security with a pocket full of live bullets this week, headed for LHR. See Virgin story from early this week.

It is like a bad Monty Python script.

Go read up about the Fall of the Roman Empire folks.

You can p!ss off and bully the entire world for just so long. Then the world will jump up and bite you on the .... Ask Julius Caesar.

</font>
Here Here and 3 cheers!! This is one 'American' who is disgusted to be an american and living in america with the era of Bush/Ashcroft.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Not to disagree with the ozstamps on the basics that he says, but the analogy with Ceasar is wrong for several reasons. 1) I knew Julius Ceasar, I read Julius Ceasar, and George Bush is not Julius Ceasar (apologies to Lloyd Bentson). I doubt our current leader could read the Ceasar, much less write like that. 2) Ceasars military campaigns were quite succesful. If someone attacked him he had the courage and intelligence to get them, not another country that he would try to convince his fellow Romans was the culprit and 3) Ceasars problem was with his own close supporters, not the enemies of Rome. He so thoroughly crushed Romes external enemies that Rome controlled them for centuries. Im afraid we will be having trouble with those outside our country for at least a generation due to the incompetence of the current administration.

[This message has been edited by GadgetFreak (edited Jan 18, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 2004, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:

Not to disagree with the ozstamps on the basics that he says, but the analogy with Ceasar is wrong for several reasons. 1) I knew Julius Ceasar, I read Julius Ceasar, and George Bush is not Julius Ceasar (apologies to Lloyd Bentson). I doubt our current leader could read the Ceasar, much less write like that. 2) Ceasars military campaigns were quite succesful. If someone attacked him he had the courage and intelligence to get them, not another country that he would try to convince his fellow Romans was the culprit and 3) Ceasars problem was with his own close supporters, not the enemies of Rome. He so thoroughly crushed Romes external enemies that Rome controlled them for centuries. Im afraid we will be having trouble with those outside our country for at least a generation due to the incompetence of the current administration.

</font>
Well if Dubya volunteered himself to be the first person to inhabit the Moon base (or better still the Mars one) he wants to spend 500 kerzillion $$$$ of your taxes setting up, all your problems might be solved?

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
It's Caesar with an ae on the nonstandard, Roman vowel.

Thanks to God, GW Bush is not akin to Julius Caesar, and his supporters aren't so dumbstruck, that they wouldn't even know to protest had they heard my line of remarks.

That said, our allies in the tourism gathering business have, I hope, longer-term plans for US commercial tourist travel, rather than the foreign left-opportunists.

Those of us who remember what happened to tourism in Iran in 1979 can imagine that what will happen to tourism next year will writ large in elsewhere nations.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fastflyer:
It's Caesar with an ae on the nonstandard, Roman vowel.

Thanks to God, GW Bush is not akin to Julius Caesar, and his supporters aren't so dumbstruck, that they wouldn't even know to protest had they heard my line of remarks.

That said, our allies in the tourism gathering business have, I hope, longer-term plans for US commercial tourist travel, rather than the foreign left-opportunists.

Those of us who remember what happened to tourism in Iran in 1979 can imagine that what will happen to tourism next year will writ large in elsewhere nations.
</font>
Well, I wasnt talking about the tourism industry. But, just out of curiousity, other than the fact I didnt spell the name correctly, would you mind explaining the rest of your post? I didnt really understand a word of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.