Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cheapest flights from LAX to SJD ??? Cabo advice needed!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2003, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA

Where can I find and book the cheapest flights from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas ?

I will have to fly to Los Cabos (SJD) on August 2, 2004 and leave SJD on August 14, 2003 to LAX.

Where should I look ? Which airline ? When do fares normally drop ? Are specials likely on this route in the summer (off-season) ?
Now the cheapest is around 330$ which I think is too high!

Also do you recommend renting a car (have never done this before in Mexico) ? I will stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar 6 nights and then 6 nights at the Westin Regina. What are the best restaurants ?

How do you recommend to go from the airport SJD to the Sheraton Hac.d.Mar and from there to the Westin and from the Westin Regina back to the airport ?

Which golf courses are best ? How to get there ? hotel shuttle. There seems to be one close to my hotels!

Thanks for helping me out!
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:15 am

Programs: BA GLD
It seems to be the taxes that are the problem. You're double taxed by the US and Mexico. So that $228 air fare (which in itself is not bad) ends up with taxes and surcharges amounting to $96.44, making the total $324.44. That's a 42% tax rate!! Pretty crazy, huh?

------------------
sftrvlr
Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GLD
Are you buying the hotel rooms, or using points? If you're buying, a package deal may come out better?

------------------
sftrvlr
Old Dec 5, 2003, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Thank you!

I did not know about the crazy taxes and will have to pay them -

I am paying at the hotels ang got fairly good rates that can be cancelled until one day prior to departure which is good.

The www.sheratonhaciendadelmar.com for 131$ plus tax and the Westin Regina for 169$. Acceptable for quite nice hotels. Looking forward to going there for the first time. I have only been on the other side (Cozumel, Cancun...)! If a good package deal comes up remind me and I can cancel the hotel booking and make a new one !
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:03 am
Original Poster

bump, information request not satisfied

Old Dec 7, 2003, 1:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Alaska Air flies nonstop from LAX to SJD a couple times a day. August is definitely the off season down there so I'd expect to see some deals pop up in the late spring, early summer.

Make sure you check your hotel package.. it may include hotel transportation. If not, there are several transportation options to get you from the airport to your hotel. The airport is a good haul out of town, so taxi's arent cheap.

I havent actually been to Cabo in almost 4 years so my info could be sorely out of date.

When I went it was recommended that I use the transportation service that was inside the baggage claim area. You told them whether you wanted to use bus, van, or taxi, and after you paid they gave you a receipt. Then when you left the baggage area one of their reps actually called you by name .. so you'd know it was the right bus, and not some timeshare hawker who claimed to be willing to take you to your hotel but forgetting to mention that it would be AFTER you spent 2 hours at a presentation.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
Flamboyant 1...As Missy Darlin' said, check your hotel for transportation info. The rates are pretty much set by the union. If I remember correctly, last year they were around $11 pp. Just do NOT fall for the offers to provide free transportation if you'll attend a presentation. They'll ask you for $20, and you won'd get it back unless you sit through the miserable time. Those timeshare people in Mexico are the world's worst at deception, false promises, and blatant lies, and they're extremely tenacious.
Both those hotels are lovely, and I could spend the whole week at the Hacienda del Mar, but find out if your hotel has a shuttle to town. I doubt it, but it could happen. Taxis run around $11 to town, I think, but things change quickly there. The practicality of renting a car depends on how many times you'll be using it. If you aren't going back and forth to town, to market or shop, it may not be worth it. We have rented a car for a day down there, but those rates have gone up, too. I babble, don't I? We'll be going back in Oct., so keep us posted. Jean
Old Dec 8, 2003, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Jean and Missy,

I will stick to your advice and wait with booking of the flights and check for hotel transportation and may rent a car for a day during the stay. Mainly it should be a golf and beach holiday.

Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:07 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Some comments on car rentals in Cabo ...

Be aware that if you rent a car it can be pretty intimidating driving in Cabo. Local drivers rarely use turn signals and frequently change lanes with no notice. At night, cows are often found on roads, so be especially careful when driving at night.

Your home car policy may not extend across the Mexican border (mine only covers me 50 miles south of the border) so if you usually rely on that policy to transfer to your rental car when you travel, call your agent to confirm coverage. You might also want to check the terms of your credit card rental car insurance policy if you'll be relying on that. In the end, it may be worth spending a few dollars on a 3rd party policy.

Note also that some car rental companies in Mexico use high pressure tactics to encourage you to buy THEIR insurance. If you are using your own insurance, some companies will put a hold on your credit card equal to 10% of the value (often inflated) of the car you rent. This can lead to a serious credit crunch during your stay, depending on your credit limit.

Have a great trip!

Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes,
I'll be very careful when renting a car, I think I will try, in case it will be necessary to rent a car at all, to let the Amex Centurion Card Service make the reservation, because they know best how cars are insured in which countries with the card.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Bumped to ask if anyone has already found a good deal from LAX to SJD ?

I'll fly in August, we are three or four travellers.

Which airlines fly there ?

Alaska, American and ... ???

No Star Alliance carrier to SJD after the departure of Mexicana ???
Old Jan 15, 2004, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Bumped up, because

I also want to know which carrier from LAX to SJD will take a suitcase and golfbag of checked luggage at no extra charge on cheap eco flights!
Old Jan 17, 2004, 5:55 am
Original Poster

bump, please help me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.