Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

A-320 Question

A-320 Question

Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:25 am
Original Poster

A-320 Question

Recently on a trip to Chile, we rode an A- 320 within Chile. We were in coach and sat behind the wing, as FC or BC was not offered. While rolling down the runway, the aircraft fishtailed from side to side; it was fairly rough. This was my first time in coach on this aircraft, and I have never experienced this to this degree on a Boeing plane. Is this indicative of all Airbus aircraft or was it probably just this plane? We experienced this on both segments on this aircraft.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Has nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing...I suspect it was either very windy, uneven runway, or the pilots were boozing it up!
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:34 am

Interesting question, but one that will undoubtedly get better replies in the TravelBuzz forum. Accordingly I am relocating this thread there.

Hope you enjoyed your trip to Chile, despite the turbulent flight.

Thanks
Sean (B747-437B)

Trip Reports
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I would doubt that it was the runway since it was experienced on two different runways. Also, seriously doubt the pilots had too much to drink. It probably was windy, but it is odd that in many years of travel, we have never experienced this before to this extent.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Has nothing to do with Airbus or Boeing...I suspect it was either very windy, uneven runway, or the pilots were boozing it up!</font>
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA
Fishtailing on the takeoff run is a rare but occasional phenomenon. My most marked experience of it was on a BA 747, dry runway, taking off at Heathrow, where it was really shaking the pots in the rear galley; never before or since on that aircraft - and never on an A320, which I think was the original question. In theory the handling pilot could do it with the steering pedals but I doubt they would be that clumsy. It seems to be some harmonic between the crosswind against the tail and the compensating steering the pilots are making.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.