Wiki Posts
Search

Thailand question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Thailand question

It looks like my plans have changed slightly due to my inability to book the ASEAN Airpass without a qualifying inbound flight. Instead of going to Bali/Lombok as originally planned we are going to hit Ko Samui, Siem Reap and Phuket(and surrounding islands)

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay at any of these locations? We are going to stay at the Sheraton Laguna in Phuket, but plan on spending most of our time on the islands like Phi Phi Don.

We will be spending a week in Ko Samui, week in and around Phuket and a couple of days in Siem Reap.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:42 am

In Siem Reap, I recommend the Angkor Village Resort (http://www.angkorvillage.com/). Beautiful hotel.

Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In Koh Samui try the Le Meridien.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I can't recomend Tongsai Bay Resort (http://thaipro.com/cgi-bin/jump.pl?url=http://asiatours.net/thailand/hotels/usm_tongsai_bay.html)in Ko Samui enough. My girlfriend and I stayed there 2 years ago and loved everything. The rooms are amazing, all with decks, indoor AND outdoor bathtubs and showers (larger suites even feature outdoor beds), the food was great, the service was great, the location is perfect -- 5 minute cab ride from Chaweng. And it all seemed like such a good deal .We paid like $200/night and they upgraded us to a suite the last two nights. We thought it was perfect.

Email me privately if you have more specific questions: [email protected]

Kevin
Old Jan 8, 2004, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Here is the official site, actually:

http://www.tongsaibay.com
kevin
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1p
If you plan on going to Phi Phi Island I'd recommend the PP Princess Hotel. Was just there for the second time over Christmas and they have added an infinity pool and spa. Service is quite good.

The hotel primarily consists of bungalows on stilts. Price is determined by size and closeness to the beach.

We stayed in their best bungalow (three rooms two baths right on the beach) and found it to be very reasonable.

By the way, you didn't mention when you were going. Phuket and Phi Phi are in their dryest, coolest period until about the middle of February. Ko Samui is in the Gulf of Thailand, and will have more clouds this time of year.

Enjoy your trip to beautiful Thailand!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
Thanks for all of the input. Just checked out the Phi Phi Princess and it looks great.

How crowded is it in the early part of March? Could we swing a better deal by booking one night and searching around once we get there?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:03 pm

On Samui, I stayed at the Fair Place about 4 years ago in an A/C'd hut about 50 feet from the beach for $25 US. It was fine, but I can't tell you about the present condition. It was a wonderful location.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 3:59 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
There are many options in Siem Reap, for all price levels (which you didn't specify).

At the high end (around $200-300 per night), I would go with the Grand Hotel d'Angkor (big, classic) or the Pansea (smaller, boutique). If you want to spend a truly huge amount of money, the Aman group recently opened a new hotel in Siem Reap, in a former royal residence. I think rates start around $600-700 per night! I haven't stayed at any of these.

In the mid-range, I would go with La Noria or Borann (both owned and managed by the same group; cost around $35-50 per night). I have stayed at both and plan to again. I find that Borann is quieter, while La Noria has a nicer restaurant.

At the low end, I would go with the Green Garden Home No. 51 Guesthouse; a non-AC room is around $12 per night. I've stayed there, and found it to be clean and pleasant. The AC rooms (around $20) are not worth it IMO -- you may as well spend the few extra $$ and stay at a mid-range place.

I believe that all the above properties have a web presence. Links -- as well as all the information you should need on Siem Reap / Angkor -- should be available from www.canbypublications.com.

Have a good trip,
Michael
Old Jan 12, 2004, 1:42 am

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brj8826:
[B] We are going to stay at the Sheraton Laguna in Phuket...B]</font>
I go to Thailand about 5 times a year since its one of my favorite countries and holiday destinations. In Phuket, I used to stay at the Sheraton Laguna but I have switched hotels a couple of years ago because the Sheraton is a bit run down in my opinion.
My new favorite is the JW Marriott since its newer (built about 2 years ago), the rooms are nicer, the rates are better, and the food is more authentic. The spa at the JW is one of the nicest I've ever been to.

If you are looking for something a little nicer than a large scale resort, I would also look into the Chedi and the Banyon Tree for villa-style accomodation.
Have a great trip!
CDG 1K
Old Jan 12, 2004, 2:05 pm

Last year visited HKT (Phuket). Wonderful locations. I agree, the Sheraton Laguna is older, but I stayed at the Allamanda, a well kept, longer stay facility. On another trip stayed at the Banyan Tree Phuket - excellent accomodations, wonderful private villas, great spa, very nice setting all around. Usually Banyan Tree is a little above my price rance but with their spa packages - was money WELL spent. Enjoy Thailand. I'll be going back again in '04 too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.