Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Skipping the return flight

Old Jan 8, 04, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

I've bought cheapie tickets to fly with my family from A to B, but due to a work trip I want to skip the return flight back to A and instead do the business trip from B to C and return C to A. I've got 2 concerns about not showing up for my return trip from B back to A.

1. My family is on the same reservation and if I am not there they won't let them fly.

2. I will be "back charged" (not sure the right term) for the difference between the cheapie round trip fare and a one-way fare. I've read that this is done to travel agents, but am not sure if it is also done to consumers.

I'll be flying from A to B on United so I have confidence that they won't do the right thing and look the other way. I booked the ticket from united.com so I am concerned that they will just add a new charge on my credit card.
Old Jan 8, 04, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
what I would probably do:
* I would show up with my family (if you can) and check all of us in (make sure that the luggage is checked in under your wife's (or kids) name, not yours
* I would afterwards cancel my flight/boarding pass (unfortunatley I had to change my plans - sorry, and naivly even ask, but not expect, any refunds). Don't be a no-show, be a canccelelling costumer
* I would not worry much about later charges to my credit card (you would anyway have 30 days to dispute such charges)
Old Jan 8, 04, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This question gets asked frequently on these boards. To date, I don't recall anyone reporting getting audited by the airline and being charged for a one-way ticket. Most of the charge-backs to travel agents that you've heard of involved back-to-back ticketing, not one-way unused tickets.
Old Jan 8, 04, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
I'm sure many people skip the return as I did when they are making a permanent move to another part of the US (or the world). I think it's expected when the RT economy fares are hundreds less than the one-way tickets (exception: SWA). I have never heard of anyone being backcharged.

But I'm sure the airline and your fellow travelers would be most appreciative if you cancel the return segment and free up your seat.
Old Jan 9, 04, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I must do this at least a dozen times a year in Europe and never had any problem with it. In fact if some of the airlines checked they would find me in the air on 2 flights at the same time. Its about time the airlines stopped ripping people off on one way fares as this is where a lot of LCC's score.
Old Jan 9, 04, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanwar:
1. My family is on the same reservation and if I am not there they won't let them fly.
</font>
Call UA before you go and have them split the PNR into separate ones. They can do it over the phone. If they ask you why, just say your going to have to re-ticket yourself tomorrow or some other BS.

Then you'll be just fine blowing off the return.

I really don't think you'd have a problem anyhow because all you have to say when the rest of the family checks in is that your on the way. They'll check everyone in and then say "Sorry we can't do him until he gets here". Oh OK, he should be here shortly. People get stuck in traffic...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: