Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Trip Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:11 am
Original Poster

NYC Trip Questions

I am helping my parents to put a trip together to NYC. They will be traveling with 3 other couples. My parents speak English very well, the rest of the group is basic at best.

1. I booked 4 rooms at the Renaissance Marriott Times Square. I found some positive comments in the Marriott FT board. Does anyone have recent experience with this hotel?

2. They need to get transportation for 8 people from JFK to Times Square. They'd highly prefer not to be split up. Can they get a van-sized cab or get a shuttle to themselves? Is there a need to get transportion pre-booked? What's the cost for a cab fare?

3. Are there any Broadway shows that people can enjoy without the ability to follow the language? I am thinking along the lines of Stomp, etc. Any recommendations?

4. On their return, they will split into two groups. My parents need to go to EWR, their friends to JFK. Again, what are their best transportation options? WHat are the cab fares from Times Square - EWR?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:17 am

Manhattan native here! IMHO The Renaissance is a good choice - in a very noisy and busy neighborhood it is at the relatively quiet(er) North end of Times Square near the TKTS booth for discounted Bway shows. I work in the area and stayed there in August when my apartment was being remodelled; the only blemish for me was that the high speed internet access in the rooms was down at the time. The Doubletree across the street would have also sufficed. Plenty of dining choices in the area besides hotel restaurants as well. For shows I'd say you were safe with musicals and any of the shows that have been translated worldwide. Chicago, Mamma Mia, The Boy From Oz, Movin' Out, Cabaret, Aida would all entertain; Hairspray and 42nd Street might be a little more dificult plotwise but still fun to watch and not too hard to figure out. I recommend reserving www.supershuttle.com for airport travel to any NYC area airport - you can pre-book vans or shared rides for all your passengers going both ways. Cabs balk at taking more than 3 passengers (occasionally some will let a 4th ride up front) and it is a flat $35 to JFK in one - a van would be more cost- effective for a large group. Hope your folks have a great time!
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Another native New Yorker here.

The Supershuttle idea is a good one from JFK. I won't recommend the Airtrain because you have to go through the Jamaica train station and climb up and downstairs with your luggage. Can all 4 couples manage that? I can't without hurting my back.

I like the suggestions you already received about Broadway shows. The idea is to go to a musical with lots of song and dance. Entertainment such as that breaks all language barriers.

If the couples liked the supershuttle to Manhattan, they can book it again back to their respective airports. Cab fares to EWR will run $50-$70 depending upon traffic. Remember, taxis are metered. The concierge at the Marriott might recommend a particular car service to EWR which should be less expensive than a taxi but more accomodating to them than a supershuttle. One can take the New Jersey Transit train to EWR and catch their airtrain but NJT is not very accomodating when you have a lot of luggage---in fact the conductors are often rude to passengers who bring bulky luggage. Keep that in mind.

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited Dec 26, 2003).]
Old Dec 26, 2003, 7:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
What the others said, with just a bit of clarification, because we sometimes forget these things.

Cab fares are only fixed from JFK to Manhattan, it's $35 plus tolls. From Manhattan to JFK it's metered, and that price totally depends on traffic, which route, etc. So don't think it's fixed back to the airport, it's not.

There are some additional transportation options over at

panynj.gov

though you probably won't do better then the super shuttle. It's imperative they prebook their transportation for anything other then a taxi. I don't believe that the van sized cabs will take that many people and their bags (or that many even with no bags)

Also, and again it's something we all know, but tourists often get screw ed - Taxi fares are per cab, not per person. If I had a dime for every time I was behind a square state person at TKTS who was saying they paid per person....

AS to the return to the airports - by two groups are you saying six and two or four and four? A cab or two may be the best way once again, and there is also a bus from a few places in the city that offers good transportation to all three airports. The webpage above will have options and approximate fares.

I think most of the musicals would be a good choice for them, the ones recommended above would all be great. Check out playbill.com and the New York discussion here, there are lots of discount codes over there.

Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:46 am

How about adding "Blue Man Group" to the list of possible shows? I took my brother-in-law to the Vegas version; he speaks no English but enjoyed the show immensely.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 12:39 pm

A consultant friend from Mexico who had friends and family visit him while on a project in the Times Square area would always take them to see Riverdance. I don't think it's on anymore, but anything with little dialogue should work. Stomp is a good choice too, but I think it's running downtown (Somewhere on 2nd ave if I remember correctly) and may not provide the Broadway experience that you are looking for.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:26 pm

Besides a Broadway show, I would also suggest a concert at Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall (both within close distance of Times Square)

[This message has been edited by ljp99 (edited Dec 27, 2003).]
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:59 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Your parents might find something in their native language at

http://www.metopera.org/season/
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:48 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Classicial music is a great idea if they are into it, no language issues at all.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If budget is an issue, do the supershuttle. If not, use a car service. It's not even that much more expensive. As far as Broadway, don't forget Movin' Out. I think it's one of the top shows on Broadway right now and it's all music and dance.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:49 am

Great choice for choosing to visit NYC. Time Sq is a Vibrant area, walking distance to most broadway shows and fine restaurant.

check out this site: www.visitnyc.org for more info.

good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.