Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Roof Westbury LI-Comments?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Red Roof Westbury LI-Comments?

I have to fly into Kennedy one afternoon and fly out of Lagaurdia easly the next morning, and for several reasons, I'm staying at the Red Roof in Westbury, which is about halfway between the two.

Has anyone stayed there? Is it easy to get a cab to and from the hotel? Are there food places withing walking distances?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:10 pm

I've never stayed here but I live somewhat close and so I offer you the following info....

The hotel is new, I believe less that 2 yrs old. It's in a busy commercial area, near The Source Mall (with Fortunoffs, PF Changs, a Cheesecake Factory that will make you wait about 3 hrs for a table, and close to a Cozymels, Macaroni Grill and several other restaurants including Bennigans).

It's within a mile of Roosevelt Field Mall which also has a zillion places to eat. This entire area is rather congested and always traffic-filled.

Both LGA and JFK are about 20 miles from the Red Roof and it will not be an inexpensive ride.

If you are energetic and the weather is nice, I think the restaurants are within walking distance, If not, it'd be a short cab ride....possibly they even have a shuttle to either of those Malls, which would be great.

Good luck. It's a typical Long Island traffic area, so I hope you aren't too discouraged.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA *G
I've been to PF Chang's in Maryland and loved it...I suggest.
LI is WAY out of the way between JFK and LGA, but the area aroudn both is very "seedy" and I'd be pressed to find a really good JFK or LGA hotel..LGA seems nicer than JFK..but I've only stayed near JFK.
-AG
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hey! You will be coming RIGHT next to my neighborhood. Your not really that close to "between the airports", but a nice area, nonetheless. You are right near 2 major malls, being The Source, with Cheesecake Factory, PFChangs and a decent Turkish place to eat, and of course Rose Field with Houstons, and then everything else. :-) (Can you tell I like Houstons?) It's a brand new hotel, with an odd turnoff to get to it, and its right across the street from a brand new Lowes...Best way to get in and out is the Zeckendorf Blvd exit off of the Meadowbrook Parkway, which is M2E. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. :-)

-Reid
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:32 pm

Of course, there are also plenty of restaurants along that stretch of Old Country Road that are not chains...

Also, it is not customary on Long Island for cabs to congregate and wait for fares (except at major train stations) so if you want a cab you will in all likelihood have to look in the phone book for a cab company and call one (be sure to do so at least 20 minutes before you really want to go anywhere). Cab rides can be expensive, too - since the taxi generally runs empty on its return journey, you're paying for a round-trip.

Getting to and from the airports won't be easy (or cheap) either. Even a shared van service will cost a good $30 to either JFK or LGA, and a car service about twice that amount. Note that the regular NYC taxis that wait at the airports aren't required to bring you to Westbury since it's not within the city limits, and if they do agree to the journey it will cost the metered fare to the city line, then double the meter from the city line to your hotel, plus a surcharge (I think $10); the cabbie will also probably not know how to get there so be prepared to give directions. You could save some money on your journey from JFK by using the LIRR (via the new AirTrain to Jamaica) - train stations in the area include Hicksville, Westbury, and Carle Place. From there you can take a taxi to your hotel - as I don't travel to these stations very often, though, I really can't say which is the best one from which to get a cab.

Bottom line: If your hotel offers an airport shuttle service, look into it! It may well be worth the cost.

[This message has been edited by Factotum (edited Dec 28, 2003).]
Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information, and so quick!

The reason for staying at the Red Roof is I'm travelling with our small dog and none of the other hotels I called around JFK or LGA would take us.

After I posted my question, I called the Red Roof Westbury and they gave me the number of a cab company that seems to work closely with them. They can do an appointment pick-up at JFK and it will be about $35 to get to the hotel. Not great, but not the end of the world either, and at least I know I'll have a cab that knows where I'm going. The cab to LGA the next day may be a little less.

It sounds like there are a lot of food options. P.F. Chang's is a good chain, and why anyone would wait even 5 minutes for a Cheesecake Factory meal is beyond me. Given our travel companion, we'll be doing take out. Are there food places close enough to walk to from the Red Roof?

Thanks again for all the quick responses.

Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:56 am

There are plenty of places within walking distance on Old Country Road.

I was just in the area on Saturday with all the other post Xmas sales shoppers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.