Using concierge at a hotel...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using concierge at a hotel...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2003, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I think that the examples posted by Rudi are the type that warrant an extra appreciation of thanks (in the form of $$ or €€ ). It is indeed their job to provide the basic services - when we as guests ask for something beyong the norm, I think it's only polite to express thanks.

My favorite example: I wanted to attend a world premier in Copenhagen, but I procrastinated and the performance was sold out and the D'Angleterre concierge had exhausted his usual supply. But the concierge then learned that a few returned tickets were going to be sold at the box office (no mail or phone orders). So the concierge actually went to the box offie on the appointed day and waited in line in order to secure my ticket. In this case, rather than cash, I purchased a small Hartmann belting leather card case before I left the U.S., and presented it with my thank-you card when I arrived at the hotel (especially for business gifts, I always like to give American-made products - for example, if I were giving chocolates to a European I'd take or send truffles from Joseph Schmidt in San Francisco)

As for the Berlin tickets, I think it depands on the quality of the performance (and therefore the difficulty of the tickets). If it's for a very desirable program with the Music Director, Sir Simon Rattle, conducting, I would be more inclined to tip than if it were a more pedestrian selection witl a less stellar conductor (but then that's just me)

[This message has been edited by Non-NonRev (edited Dec 25, 2003).]
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JBLUA320:
Conceirge Services are free at hotels.
Speaking of that, 20 Euros..That's a little too much for just some restaraunt advice, not?-JBLU.
</font>
I understood the 20 euros suggestion to be for the securing of symphony tickets not "just some restaurant advice." I agree with a previous poster that the amount of the tip would depend upon the particulars of the performance - 20 euros may not be out of line.

Old Dec 27, 2003, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There is only one place where I have regularly used and tipped a concierge - at the Sheraton Santiago. He has arranged for show tickets (prior to arrival in Chile), other occasional special arrangements, and on this last trip, even purchased a cellphone for me out of his own pocket - all ready to go and activated with plenty of prepaid minutes, in time for my arrival (which I of course reimbursed him for immediately upon arrival). The tactful way to tip is generally to leave a note in an envelope with the appropriate sum.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:03 pm

Concierges are good people when they do a good job. I just turned 20 and do not get the best concierge service unless i am staying somewhere like the Ritz or the Peninsula. The business hotel conciereges are horrible. I remember being in the Palace Hotel in Madrid and was treated very very well. I believe concierges at many top hotels have gone to hotel school. I know of a friend that went to Cornell hotel school and worked as the head of the Concierge department at the Boston Ritz. Point being, they should be educated and know whats going on.

IN terms of concierges making money, they do make a few bucks sending all their guests to the most expensive restaurants in teh city. I believe they get commission off of their reservations. They make lots of money off of tickets, but hey it sucks working at a hotel unless you own it. I was considering hotel school myself because I love the idea of travelling, but its best to be served than serve.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 9:00 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You tip concierges at the time of checkout. Tip them if you've had them do something, like make reservations or get tickets for you. You don't tip if you just asked for information.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:33 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I prefer to tip the individual who helped me, so I tip at the time of service. I often ask the concierge for directions to or recommendations for specific restaurants (vegetarian), and I usually tip between $1 and $5 depending on his or her level of enthusiasm.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've very, very rarely used a concierge. In this day and age, it is too easy to do one's own research, buy show tickets online in advance, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.