Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of SUX?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2003, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Future of SUX?

When I go to visit my parents I try to fly into SUX because it is only 30 minutes from their house. OMA is 2 more hours away so SUX is more convenient.

I remember being a kid that it seemed like SUX had its fair share of airlines. However, only NW flies there now using mostly Saab 340s and the Canadair RJ (2-3x daily). It wasn't too long ago that NW was offering DC-9 service into SUX. I miss those days!

I know TWA (as American Eagle) was the last airline to pull out of SUX. Anyone know what other airlines used to service SUX within the last 10-15 years? I know that UA pulled out shortly after UA0232 crashed there in 1989.

With only one airline offering limited air service to SUX, I have a bad feeling about the future of SUX. Does anyone have any information about the future of SUX?

(When I flew in there in July I had to laugh because they were extending an existing runway. Come to find out the Air Guard was extending the runway to allow the new fuel tankers (retrofitted 707s and 767s) able to land. With the new runways, maybe NW will start DC-10 MSP-SUX service!!!)
Old Dec 24, 2003, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does SUX still have one runway? I've either flown to OMA or FSD.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I am pretty sure SUX has two runways; tho I have always landed and taken off on the same one. The new "extended" runway I believe was the shorter of the two.

Analise, you had mentioned FSD in your post. Tho not as drastic as SUX, it seems they (FSD) may be headed the same direction of SUX; since the introduction of SW into OMA, most of the smaller airports within a 200 mile radius of OMA seem to be losing business. No big surprise I guess.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:12 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I think SUX at one time had mainline jet service on three airlines--UA to DEN (727s and 737s), HP to PHX (737s), and TW to STL (DC-9s). Plus turboprop service on UA express to ORD and NW Airlink to MSP. (NW didn't start DC-9 service until after UA pulled out.)

LNK, close to my former home town in Nebraska, used to have mainline service on four airlines--UA, TW, HP, and CO. Now it's all regional jets, and no CO or HP anymore.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:10 pm

I think SUX will do just fine. You have a couple of beef manufacturers in Sioux city (or nearby - Dakota Dunes) plus Gateway is not that far away either. Northwest is probably doing fairly well now that they are the only airline. Last time I was there TWA still flew out and it seemed like a decent number of passengers were travelling from there.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 7:11 pm

I think SUX will do just fine. You have a couple of beef manufacturers in Sioux city (or nearby - Dakota Dunes) plus Gateway is not that far away either. Northwest is probably doing fairly well now that they are the only airline. Last time I was there TWA still flew out and it seemed like a decent number of passengers were travelling from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.