Wiki Posts
Search

"My cello was upgraded and I wasn't"

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2001, 8:31 am
Original Poster

"My cello was upgraded and I wasn't"

This one was a first for me ...

On a recent CO flight into Newark, I sat next to a member of a string quartet who played the violin. Across the aisle was a cello player. He had the aisle seat, his cello had the window seat.

During the flight, we got to talking about frequent travel. The quartet frequently travels out of NYC to perform at different venues. The cello player always purcahses a seat for his cello.

I had to ask: Does the cell get frequent flyer miles? To my surprise, he said that it does on several airlines. In fact, he and the cello both have Elite status on CO. "Last month", he said, "I received an e-mail from Continental telling me that my cello was upgraded. I don't know why, but I was not upgraded to First. My cello was upgraded, and I wan't."

During the conversation, I realized that he and his cello's tickets were somehow split into separate reservations (due to a late itinerary change). Still, the poor guy had to get his cello downgraded to a seat next to him at the airport on a full flight. It was not fun.

I wonder how many airlines offer miles (and Elite status) to musical instruments and similar large objects traveling on planes.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.
Old May 6, 2001, 9:04 am

My friend's cat used to be top tier on TWA.
Old May 6, 2001, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I wonder how the cello redeems miles?
Old May 6, 2001, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
the cello was upgraded?

no strings attached?
Old May 6, 2001, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
UK Stages

That was terrible. LOL
Old May 6, 2001, 8:33 pm

I can see it now: first class filled with musical instruments and pampered pets, all on upgrades!
The back of the plane is bad enough, but having to take a backseat to non-humans is a new low!!!

[This message has been edited by Euroflyer (edited 05-06-2001).]
Old May 6, 2001, 9:10 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Stages, that was brutal .

Does the cello receive a bunch of junk mail like the rest of us FF'ers? How many times per month does Capital One offer the instrument a credit card? Does it also have a bunch of complimentary hotel/car memberships?
Old May 6, 2001, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23-24;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
The really sad part is that because of its status the cello gets to choose its meal before the musician does.
Old May 7, 2001, 6:49 am
Original Member

My aunt plays the cello for one of the big 5 US orchestras...the cello travels as Cello lastname. Doesn't earn miles, alas. Actually 2 will fit together in 1 seat (second one inverted). They frequently buy a RT ticket for cello if they're only taking it one way (to be repaired, eg).

This summer they're picking up 2 instruments from Europe, so they bought 3 RT tix...will have an extra seat on the flight over, but will use the seat on the way back, for the instruments!
Old May 7, 2001, 6:50 am
Original Poster

You could say that being put behind a musical instrument for upgrades could hit a sour note.

Seriously, though: on the flight where I met the quartet, there was a choice of meals. The FA offered one for the passenger then asked, "Would your cello like the other meal?"
Old May 7, 2001, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
You forgot FA's and travelling employees.

No room for PAX.

I guess the guy gets two meals...makes it easier to make sure you always get your choice, and nothing wrong with a second sundae here and there.

Why can't the cello fly in coach? Don't some families put their kids and nanny's back in coach?
Old May 7, 2001, 8:26 am

In response to nologic, I play the cello, and when it has travelled, it has gone into the hold, because I couldn't afford a separate ticket for it. My cello is not worth that much compared to some of the instruments travelling musicians pay. If the briefcase is the way a businessman earns his money, it is the same with a cello. If I was intending to go on tour as a professional musician, I would want my instrument as close to me as possible, unfortunately with school tours etc., cellos have to go in the hold, school students can't afford business class. Yet all my violinist friends all took their instruments on board To be fair to QF, the flight was completely full.
My cello has been to Europe on QF and they took reasonable care with it, it somehow didn't get lost in LHR, and connected to MUC ok.
I find the story very humorous though.
Old May 7, 2001, 9:22 am

Originally posted by ontheroad:
"Last month", he said, "I received an e-mail from Continental telling me that my cello was upgraded. I don't know why, but I was not upgraded to First. My cello was upgraded, and I wan't."
Maybe the airline thought he should really be playing second fiddle.

Yonatan
Old May 7, 2001, 1:34 pm

Is this like musical chairs?

On a recent SJC-JFK AA flight there was a lady and her Cello. She buys it a seat and it gets frequent flyer miles and all the other benes associated with flying F.

Old Feb 3, 2003, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In today's newspaper:
Annelise Nelson, originally of Logan [Utah] and now studying at a New York City music conservatory, books a seat on Delta Air Lines for her cello when she travels because she doesn't trust the baggage handlers. She got a frequent flier card for the cello under the name, Chello Nelson. Her cello recently received a credit card offer from American Express with a $100,000 credit line.

http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Feb/02032003/utah/25838.asp

Hey Analise, is that you?

[This message has been edited by amanuensis (edited 02-03-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.